Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating

...anyone know if these caliper covers will fit on a 2013 Limited with stock polished 20" mags?

Thanks
Yes they will. They come with two 3mm spacers that need to be used on the front for clearance. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry its late but here you go.

IMG_1601resize.jpg

IMG_1294resize.jpg

IMG_1291resize.jpg

IMG_1290resize.jpg

Heck I think thats a good looking set up you got there. Dont listen to the painters and powdercoaters, these look good IMO. Painting and powdercoating screams (I didnt have enough money for covers or real brakes!) For all you folks knocking them just go buy your self some BREMBOS and spend about 4K to 6K and be done with it. Be sure to post some pictures when your done.

I like them. Better than nothing at all

Well said Fish4five :chug:

Heck I think thats a good looking set up you got there. Dont listen to the painters and powdercoaters, these look good IMO. Painting and powdercoating screams (I didnt have enough money for covers or real brakes!) For all you folks knocking them just go buy your self some BREMBOS and spend about 4K to 6K and be done with it. Be sure to post some pictures when your done.

LOL "NO MONEY FOR COVERS" LOL. That MUST be it!

Sorry its late but here you go.

IMG_1601resize.jpg

IMG_1294resize.jpg

IMG_1291resize.jpg

IMG_1290resize.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old post on an old thread. I was curious about the install and possible removal of these covers. My 22" summer rims will allow these covers to be installed with room to spare between the wheel and brake cover. However I think my OEM 20" rims I use in the winter do not have enough clearance. I'm trying to decide if the covers would be fairly easy to install and remove each time I swap out tires. I'd prefer not to mess with spacers. Any input you could provide would be very helpful. Thanks!

17' Ex Sport Smoked Quartz with factory anthracite 20" wheels from the XLT Sport package............thinking of painting/powdercoat calibers in Red or Porsche Acid Green. Anyone done this? thoughts??? thanks!!

If you go the painting route I only recommend G2 caliper paint. Brushed on, self levels, looks great. Masking tape on the boots on the guides.

Most OEM calipers have a pretty rough finish so if you want the finish smooth you'll have to get to sanding.

17' Ex Sport Smoked Quartz with factory anthracite 20" wheels from the XLT Sport package............thinking of painting/powdercoat calibers in Red or Porsche Acid Green. Anyone done this? thoughts??? thanks!!
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature, this thread was found and yours was merged with it. There is also another one on caliper covers that also shows posts where painting has been done.

Peter

Caliper Covers are sooo cheesy. Get some curb feelers, and mud flaps too!

Painting is so easy, and not cheesy. :chug:

IMG_1779_zps040dyfzk.jpg

image_zpscbydkcbp.jpg

...but here are my Caliper Covers on my Vette! :burnout:

P1010030.jpg

Painting is so easy, and not cheesy. :chug:

IMG_1779_zps040dyfzk.jpg

image_zpscbydkcbp.jpg

I appreciate seeing these pictures. I'm getting the G2 kit for Christmas (a gift to myself, haha) in orange and I was curious how the actual calipers would look painted....now I know.

I like the look of the MGP caliper covers, but I would want them in orange and that's a 'custom color' for them. To get just plain orange caliper covers with (or without) the bolts and no writing was going to cost nearly twice as much (seems like it was almost $400 if I recall correctly.) That's just hard to justify to my wife when I can achieve similar results for $42. Plus with painting them I have the feeling of satisfaction of doing the job myself.

Not trying to trash the look of MGP caliper covers at all, I like the look (I know you don't, haha.) I thought long and hard about them before ultimately going a different direction. I'm anxious for Christmas to get here so I can get the job going. I want to redo my front and rear emblems as well (they have the only chrome on the vehicle now that I've deleted the rear badges), but my wife 'likes the look of the chrome' on our entirely blacked out (or magnetic metallic) Ex. That is a fight that will take me a while to win, haha.

100% agree. Caliper covers look terrible. Just paint them. I cringe when I see people "trick out" their cars with caliper covers. Gross.

main problem with paint is it gets soft and the brake dust with stick in it. If you are painting them black, paint works well. I would buy the specific brake caliper paint and clean and mask the caliper without removing it, be prepared to respray them every year.
Its hard to tell caliper covers when driving, but if its obvious they're just goofy covers when they're parked I personally wouldn't use them.

I see G2 paint system is best for painting the calipers. Can it be done without removing the wheels?
I only have 1200miles on my 2017 Explorer Sport, so they are not very dirty. prep should be easy.
I was planning on using small modelers brushes to get between the rim spars.

I see G2 paint system is best for painting the calipers. Can it be done without removing the wheels?
I only have 1200miles on my 2017 Explorer Sport, so they are not very dirty. prep should be easy.
I was planning on using small modelers brushes to get between the rim spars.
In looking at the pictures in the linked post, I'd say no. At least not a complete and proper job.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...our-5th-gen-today.430705/page-29#post-3609814

Peter

Back