Blue's 91 XLT | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blue's 91 XLT

Hello, this is my new to me 91 xlt. i just got it from a friend who has had it for years and just got a new truck, he needed space in his driveway and i needed a vehicle and it was one of the two vehicles i was thinking about getting, (an explorer or a blazer were on the top of my wish list) and so i bought it for 300$. Of course, with any 22 year old vehicle you buy for 300$, it has lots of little problems, but i still love it anyway.
Almost ran into his new truck trying to turn around in his tiny driveway on the way out after i bought it hehe.

Future plans includetrying to restore it as much as possible, this wont be hard inside, as the interior is almost mint aside from a small tear in the drivers seat leather, but i have to fix the rear shocks eventually, fix the tail lights, and some cosmetic stuff like minor rust and the dissapearing clear coat.
I plan to get larger tires, probably 31's. New or different leafs in back, maybe an f150 leaf pack, and manual hubs for the 4wd, along with some custom cosmetic upgrades like running boards and maybe a brush guard.

This will be a long project for me as money is and will be pretty tight for quite a while. and at first my priority is just getting it to respectable shape mechanically.

dscf7503t.jpg

N7nLlyl.jpg

ex3a.jpg

that is how it sits right now, i hope to improve it as much as i can, it has about 156k miles right now, my goal is to go to at least 350k.

any changes i make i will post on this thread as well

enjoy. thanks!

EDIT: The image site i originally used to host my earlier pics decided to delete all my photos because they started requiring a paid account to host on their site. My normal computer with all the pics on it currently does not have a charger that will work, so once i get a new charger i will repost all of the missing pictures if i can. you can see the basic progression though, just missing some of the pics on the first 2 pages. all the cool stuff is on the 2nd and 3rd pages anyways, but i'll repost the pics as soon as i can. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So this weekend I got a little bit accomplished, I bought new rear lock knobs so I could put my door panel back on without breaking my interior handle again (last time the broken knob got stuck on the inside of the panel and I broke the handle trying to unlock the door)

vkHF975.jpg

I also FINALLY added front tow hooks, though I ended up finding a set of non-cast, steel f150 hooks rather than my cast iron expedition hooks, as they couldn't be welded to my frame and it wasn't really possible to bolt hooks on without making special brackets, so, I welded these ones on and they should be very rugged

xBL4RFd.jpg

MYhXlYs.jpg

dbRWBHR.jpg

doesn't look half bad and should be more than enough to pull myself and others out of ditches/mud/snowbanks/whatever

random shots because everyone likes pictures

2neyNmX.jpg

8qiQWhy.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lookin good! I like those tow points!

Lookin good! I like those tow points!

Thanks! I got more body work coming up before too long hopefully, id like to get the passenger side rocker panel fixed up and maybe start on the front radiator support rust. that should be pretty quick, and after i can start on the rear floor supports

Also, say i found a 92-94 explorer with a good transmission, would it be a direct swap to replace the one in my 91? i know a lot of stuff changed a bit between 91 and 92/3...

Trans will be the same, other parts not...I know the manuals, the slave cylinders and clutch master are different from 91/92-93/94...

Some progress on passenger side rocker panel last week, plus a little frame repair Friday and this weekend I am working on a special project I will post about when its finished tomorow hopefully.
Ill post pictures from my laptop maybe since it is a pain to upload them from my phone onto the image host I use.

You need to stop by the chatroom. Haven't seen you in ages ;)

I do rick just dont have as much free time anymore, like i have free time, it just gets taken up by everything else. also every time i log on chat, its empty..

anyhow, I finally have my bumper pictures on my laptop so Ill put a few pictures up here and make a more in depth post on the bumphttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/blues-91-xlt.380065/page-6#post-3548080er over in offroad fabrication subforum. I also got the passenger rocker panel on and partially attached, but i dont have pictures of it, you guys know what they look like..

anyhow. frame repairs
Rear driver side had holes in it behind the shackle so i patched that with some 3/16" plate that i predrilled for the bumper that i was planning to build on the following weekend.
kTiubst.jpg

bumper removal
FqSxhib.jpg

patch piece before drilling
s6w6ZOd.jpg

decided to weld it to the outside for batter access to it for welding. bumper brackets go on the inside of the rail.
QxMMlyd.jpg

don't have pictures of the frame afterwards.

bumper brackets, 1/4" steel
X7N8Qur.jpg

bumper starts as 1/4"x6"x6' channel iron
aWlgNTr.jpg

Cutting and bendning ended friday afternoons work.
hOVtrd2.jpg

Then a whole bunch of odd angle cutting to fit the shape of the truck and allow me to plate the top and ends to fill in the shape
of the bumper.
cMUJZiG.jpg

IkEVBRp.jpg

74WBIhc.jpg

that was the end of saturday, sunday i added a few more pieces of 14ga plate to the bottom sides (to match the quarter panel trim) and the top (to fill the gaps below the hatch)
and here is the finished product

zTssSD6.jpg

6vfRBfe.jpg

4ECl6PJ.jpg

and then one random picture from saturday just because why not
xDqSNn9.jpg

Hope you guys like it! I think it came out really good for my first actual bumper build and it still has more to come, tabs for D ring tow points, another plate light, and probably bracing in behind it to help stiffen the reciever hitch and brackets.

Truck got new front wheel bearings, brake rotors, lug nuts and hub hardware this past week, I took a couple pictures but they are nothing special. just regular replacement parts. planning to fix some more of the rust soon and hopefully find a parts vehicle with a good m5od and 4.0 engine. never got my trans fixed and the engine is worn out. ticks pretty loud and i can hear some light knock-ish sound on cold starts until the oil has had a chance to circulate around in the engine..

So i am working on another project while driving the explorer since it has proven to be a reliable daily even with the transmission issues. I bought this a month or so ago for 100$ (yes two zeros). it is a 94 f250 2wd 4 spd automatic with 109k miles and a utility body and cap.
I have been using most of my resources to get this truck road ready lately, and having a separate registry may not be the best on here because its not an f-series forum. (I haven't found any of them i like) but here are some progress pictures.
U2whcUh.jpg

First stages of restoration. new oil change, filter, spark plugs, wires, coolant, brake fluid, and cleaning ( mostly consisting of vacuuming the floor and inside of the utility body out of it)

06MgC5a.jpg

flintstones edition floor pan.

ggUi1WC.jpg

all fixed. now has a layer of brush on truck bed liner (needs another coat though)

a7Julh5.jpg

Cap off. cap is aluminum and in great shape. I have two newer front tires and front fenders ready to go on
MhzxJPd.jpg

body is getting an entire new floor and cross braces (already have the sheet of 3/16 diamond plate and 2 of 3-4 of the 1 3/4" sign posts i need)

EorS7XJ.jpg

no holes in the frame! rock solid for not getting washed in like 3 years but driven daily around the college campus it came from

ucp0Iwp.jpg

Needle scaled, wire wheeled, primed and painted with a nice coat of gloss oil based rustolium. body is next on the list after a little paint touch up.

I have fenders, tires, and some of the material for the body ready to go. Hoping to get the body back on before its too cold. I do still plan to keep the explorer on the road as well for snow storms (2wd with open diff on the 250 isnt ideal for me) and even if i have to take it off the road for a while it isn't going the way of my ranger. (that by the way is going to turn into a woods buggy soon if i don't do something with it)

Let me know what you guys think!

Where do you find the time!? I always enjoy seeing your progress on all your projects...nice job!

Where do you find the time!? I always enjoy seeing your progress on all your projects...nice job!
Finding the time certainly isn't easy. As of late i take advantage of evenings when the maintenance garage isnt being used (I work at the college I'm attending and my boss said I could use the shop as long as I cleaned up after myself and kept everything out of the way) so I can usually squeeze in a couple evenings a week and a weekend on occasion.. and Mr. Cribb, rust does suck and I have had my share of battles with it (between my vehicles, my parents vehicles, friends, previously working in a body shop primarily doing rust repair, etc etc) So I am used to it and don't see it as so much of a mountain to climb anymore. It is more time consuming than anything.

I will have more updates on the new truck as well as my explorer, should I work on it any in the near future, so Any of you guys that are interested in my projects will see more of them before too long.

utility body floor on the 250 is all done basically, at least the underside is. just have a bunch of small spots that need some body work now. along with a list of other junk that needs to get fixed like front tires and fenders and interior etc.

Making progress, utility body is getting close to "done" (passes inspection) and I started on a new front bumper a well as a bunch of other little stuff.
You can see i have one of the box doors off in this picture, as well as the paint color that will be on the whole truck, plus the "new" front tires. The bumper is just tacked together, when i get the tubing i need for the internal tow hitch, I will take it all apart and make a few adjustments to the plate before welding them all back together.
MLOPysj.jpg

Making progress on the explorer's predecessor. bunch of body work and some exhaust work. The bumper isnt going to stay just a tow hitch, that is the structure for the bumper from my last post, but as i am rushing to get the f250 on the road, due to the explorer's registration and sticker running out this month, i had to throw it on there temporarily.
vXX2h6b.jpg
YJNuQjs.jpg
1iLJWqR.jpg
g7ZslCL.jpg

I havent been on in a while, truck came along good, still isnt done, probably never will be, but its all road legal and driving.
18813938_458503784503740_3106360050221227330_n.jpg
18740343_458503801170405_205782694244885045_n.jpg
19059295_466086233745495_6949787784302218131_n.jpg

That would be a sweet rig for a slide in camper :D

Back