4.6L Engine cuts out.

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Explorer XLT with a 4.6L with 160k miles that cuts out when driving
( and one time would not start at the beginning of the day ) The engine does not sputter but simply acts like you turn the key off while going down the road.( engine quits running and all idiot lights come on )

This has happened to me twice and both times I simply put the vehicle in neutral, turn the key to the start position and it re-starts and runs like normal. One of the times ( and I think it was purely coincidental ) it happened as I had the coast button for the cruise control depressed.

There is no performance issues while running, ( it either runs great, or not at all )
It is not speed, temperature, or an accessories running issue,
All parts are OEM except ALT and spark plugs ( replaced 100k / 75k respectivaly )

I would like to know what could be causing this issue, and what to check out first.

Many Thanks,

Does it ever do it sitting still? Common RPM or throttle position? Have you tried wiggling the engine wire harness while the engine is running? What about the key, can you move it around at all in the run position where it could have play in the ignition switch?

Any check engine lights on?

It has never cut out while standing still, However it did fail to start one time until the third turn of the key and holding the gas pedal 1/2 way down ( witch is highly unusual )

Both time it cut out were at different RPM's 1 at 60 mph and holding the other at 35 mph and coasting to re set the CC to a lower speed.

I did try wiggling the wires under the hood today, it did not cut out.

There is no noticeable play in the ING switch, and even after driving it a distance the switch remains closer to the start position while in the run position.

No CEL, except when it cuts out and then I get all the idiot lights on the dash to come on. I did have the codes pulled today and the only one that came up was B1676 , the guy from the parts store said it was for the ABS system.

I checked the inertia switch and plug and all appeared ok ( not burnt )
I also had a look at the crank shaft positioner but could not see it well enough to tell if it is damaged, it does however have some crud on it.
I also cleaned up the battery posts, they did have some corrosion on them but nothing that I thought was over the line to cause this condition.

I can not hear the fuel pump kick on when turning the key on, The only thing I can hear is that dam seat belt chime. ( even when it runs ) Do these explores have an external fuel pump driver module like the F150's ? If so where is it located and could it be the problem ?

Back