Radio LED display fix!!! | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

I fixed one!

Believe it or not you only have to remove 3 screws to pull the LCD display power supply board.

2 metal tabs hold it in place. you have to bend, or, "reform" them to get the board out.

Once the power supply is removed, use a stiff nylon brush, brass will do but be extremely careful, and remove the excessive flux you will find.

Under a magnifier I found one of the solder points for the heat shield ( ground path) was broken. A slight squeeze to the box revealed it.

To add, I found one of the tiny gold color surface mount capacitors ( in line with an 832 and 332 resistor) didn't seem to be soldered well. I also cleaned up what I thought were some cold solder joints on some lead through components.

This assembly was soldered on a wave solder machine. IMO you are highly likely to fix the no display issue by giving it a go over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey that's great! That means you can help fix mine. :)

About 1 year ago my display went blank for a day and then came back alive. I did a Google search at that time and found out how many of these radios have the blank display problem. This thread was an excellent source of information. Most of my notes from that search were directly from the contributions made here. My radio is out of a 2001 Explorer and is a Mach radio with RDS, YL2F-18C868-CA.

About a week ago my display went blank again and I pulled out my notes on the problem. In my notes I had written down that there was a Doorman power supply board for the radio. The part number is: 586-001 and it was available from Amazon for $43.87.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-586-001-Power-Supply-Board/dp/B00FLFYK50

After reading how many people have repaired the power supply board multiple times I decided to go with the Doorman part. The new part was a perfect replacement, went in very easily following the instructions included and my display was once again visible.

I was a US Air Force missile electronics technician and was qualified to repair electronics for our nuclear program. After the Air Force I got my engineering degree and managed several card assembly operations. I know my way around circuit cards and a soldering iron. In my humble opinion, my power supply board was not worth repairing. The amount of heat damage was extensive and any repair would not be long lasting.

I am very happy to have purchased the Doorman power supply board and would highly recommend it over repair to any circuit board that is even ½ as badly heat damaged as mine.

Well, poo
Betty's display went out now. I tried re soldering this one -no go.

I did notice 2 capacitors inside which looked like they had been way too hot, the plastic on them has shrunk and the label is unreadable. The 2 large resistors on my display board are mounted so low they touch.

The problem I have now is the replacement dorman board does not work with my cd changer head unit.

does anyone possibly have a list of parts I need, or a good fix for this head unit? I'd prefer to keep the factory head unit if at all possible.

I've had this problem with my display since I got the truck. What about the dorman board isn't working? Is there a dorman board that will work?

I've had this problem with my display since I got the truck. What about the dorman board isn't working? Is there a dorman board that will work?

The dorman board will work if you do not have the cd changer in your console.

Some have said it will not work if you have a "RDS" -clock buton. However, my fathers 2003 f150 did have that button, with no dc changer, and the board did work fine.

IMO from what I see now, the resolder fix alone is not 100% good. I think new resistors and a couple of capacitors should be replaced, leaving long leads on the resistors to keep them up higher off the board.

I'm also interested in a better solution. I've still got one MACH spare that I'd like to get fixed right. From reading of the Dorman board not working for these, I've avoided doing anything with it.

I wish some repair shop could make the Dorman power supply board work, or at least figure out what's wrong with using it.

The Dorman board does not work with my head unit. As mentioned above, it too has the "RDS" button and a CD changer in the center console. Still looking for a fix. If Pioneer still had the parts Id buy a big ole bag of them.

Since you have a Dorman board on hand, could you please do me a favor?

Could you cross reference the resistors and heated capacitors to see if they are the same values on both configurations?

If the dorman board can be cannabilized for parts it might be an option-or if you could please read the values of the "pop can" capacitors on your old board it might also help.

Since you have a Dorman board on hand, could you please do me a favor?

Could you cross reference the resistors and heated capacitors to see if they are the same values on both configurations?

If the Dorman board can be cannabilized for parts it might be an option-or if you could please read the values of the "pop can" capacitors on your old board it might also help.
That is exactly what I'm planning to do. I have one of the Dorman boards, and if I cannot get the same man to fix my spare Mach, I'll make the Dorman board work somehow.

Looks like my Commando has a problem. LED display shows CHIPINIT. I tried to check the ASUS site but it is down. Anyone know what it means? Doesn't sound good! :mad:

If the LED display panel on the car stereo receiver is dim or does not light, the connectors may need to be cleaned or there may be a mode setting that needs to be adjusted.

Back