Issues With Steering Wheel Controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues With Steering Wheel Controls

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
City, State
Petoskey, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
My 2011 Limited with 55k miles is giving me intermittent problems with the steering wheel controls.

The directional pad on the left side responds erratically, such as moving the selection on the display down, when I am pushing over to the right.

When I receive a low fuel warning that I have 50 miles left, I can't click "Ok" on the warning message. It just doesnt go away. If I wait until I get to the 25 miles left warning, I can click Ok and dismiss the message.

The volume up button worked occasionally today, but the volume down button did not work at all.

The cruise control buttons are fine.

Anyone else experience this yet?

Warranty just expired, figures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 Limited with 55k miles is giving me intermittent problems with the steering wheel controls.

The directional pad on the left side responds erratically, such as moving the selection on the display down, when I am pushing over to the right.

When I receive a low fuel warning that I have 50 miles left, I can't click "Ok" on the warning message. It just doesnt go away. If I wait until I get to the 25 miles left warning, I can click Ok and dismiss the message.

The volume up button worked occasionally today, but the volume down button did not work at all.

The cruise control buttons are fine.

Anyone else experience this yet?

Warranty just expired, figures.
I don't recall see this particular issue posted here before. I also am not sure if the vehicle's APIM is involved with the steering wheel buttons or not. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT and has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. You say your warranty just expired. If you just had the factory warranty, you warranty expired 19k miles ago.

Peter

My 14 limited is doing the same type of thing. Except my issue is with cruise control and voice assistance. I turn the cruise in and go to set it and sometimes it won't set. Other times it will set and if I go to increase my speed with the button it won't do anything yet if I try to go down it actually increases my speed. When this happens my voice button won't work so no phone calls or changing anything with it. The dealer ordered me two new steering wheel switches. I'm going to pick them up today and install them.

So basically the volume down, and seek up buttons do not work.

Also the directional buttons seem messed up. For example, pressing "right" essentially goes left. Pressing "up" and "left" actually move the display right. Pressing "down" works right and moves down. The "OK" button on the left side of the steering wheel only sometimes works.

But the volume up, and seek down buttons work fine. Cruise control buttons work fine too.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the steering wheel? I could try reseating some wiring harnesses...

Having some trouble with my right side steering wheel controls. Left arrow is "down" command, up arrow is "left" command and volume/seek buttons do not work correctly either. I have already replaced the control switch:HERE, but the problem still exists. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with MFT connectors and what may be causing this problem? The best info I was able to find was on a Focus forum:HERE. Thanks to anyone for the help.

I have the same issue! I posted on this back in september but never found a solution. After a few weeks the problem went away, and the controls worked perfectly. Now they started acting up again. Pretty much your exact symptoms both times.

I'm going to attempt to reboot the MFT/Sync system and see if that clears it. (http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html).

Very irritating problem btw.

I have the same issue! I posted on this back in september but never found a solution. After a few weeks the problem went away, and the controls worked perfectly. Now they started acting up again. Pretty much your exact symptoms both times.

I'm going to attempt to reboot the MFT/Sync system and see if that clears it. (http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html).

Very irritating problem btw.

Glad to have found someone with the same issue! Unfortunately, they have never worked correctly for us, but it hasnt been too much of an issue. Just a heads up, I have already updated the system to the latest MFT version (3.8), did a full system reboot (both via pulling fuse and the quick reboot via USB stick), and replaced the switch entirely with a new OEM one. None of these steps seemed to make any difference at all. Seems like the actual output values of the switch are not being properly sent or read by the receiver.
Could be a loose connection at the back of the radio unit (the culprit in the video link I posted) or some other component is defective.

In any case, if you make any progress on this, keep us updated and Ill do the same!:thumbsup:

Glad to have found someone with the same issue! ....
In any case, if you make any progress on this, keep us updated and Ill do the same!:thumbsup:

Same here! Thank you for sharing that, because I was about to go find part numbers for new steering wheel switches.

Loose connection of some kind has been my leading theory because of the somewhat intermittent behavior that I've experienced.

My next step now is probably to get a copy of the Explorer wiring diagrams or crawl under the dash and see if I can get some connections re-seated.

This hasn't happened at all since I updated to SYNC 3.8 a few months ago.

These controls go from the wheel through the clockspring into the SCCM (steering column control module.

This module is what the two stalks (turn/wiper, etc) connect into.

The SCCM converst the switch signal into messages and broadcast them across HS-CAN network where the audio unit and IPC (instrument cluster) receive and interpret them.

Troubleshooting this would require a code scanner that can read Ford control units.

With a scanner you can read what the SCCM (Steering Column Control Module) is reading from the switches themselves.

You can buy an OBD-II adapter and use a program called FORSCAn (free for PC, like 10 bucks for android) and it will read every control unit on your vehicle.

UPDATE:
After finally getting around to replacing the SCCM, the switch is functional again. I was surprised the module included a new clock spring and levers since it was around $105 shipped from an online ford dealership. Install took about an hour and the IDS flash was only about 5 minutes. I honestly would have never suspected the SCCM, but after retrieving the switch PID's, checking behavior, and then voltages across many connectors, it was the only logical solution. Thanks to all for the advice.

Pic during install:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_7wxSR8TOSpTHpIeGJmZmo1ajA/view?usp=sharing

EDIT:
Shelton, just saw your reply-good call. So far no need for an OBD2 scanner as I'm using a VCM 2 with ford IDS, which gets me by for most (not all) situtations

Has anyone figured out how to remove the buttons to change them out. My cruise set button died

I had new switches put in just over a year ago and same thing again. I have 2 codes for the steering wheel switch packs. They exceed the voltage threshold, so I'm going to assume there is an electrical issue in the system and instead of fixing my problem they just installed new switch packs and now these are dying. Be nice if a Ford rep would chime in, because now I'm going to have to pay to have these replaced and they are just over a year old.

I had new switches put in just over a year ago and same thing again. I have 2 codes for the steering wheel switch packs. They exceed the voltage threshold, so I'm going to assume there is an electrical issue in the system and instead of fixing my problem they just installed new switch packs and now these are dying. Be nice if a Ford rep would chime in, because now I'm going to have to pay to have these replaced and they are just over a year old.
It is always best to PM FordService if you have an issue rather than waiting to see IF they notice your post. The Ford reps have other forums that they work with as well.

Peter

Thank you for the PM Exploder82! I sent you a response yesterday.

It is always best to PM FordService if you have an issue rather than waiting to see IF they notice your post. The Ford reps have other forums that they work with as well.

Peter
Thank you for the mention and support, peterk9!

Deysha

My wifes 2015 has issues with the cruise control switches. Could this be a bad SCCM also? The cruise wont turn on sometimes and when it dose the minus button increases speed ect.

Where exactly is the SCCM?

My switches went bad and had to be replaced.

How To Find Part Code? I Have 3 Codes

B137F:17-0A Steering Wheel Left Switch Pack
B137F:09-08 Steering Wheel Left Switch Pack
B1380:17-0A Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack

Set +/-,Res And CNCL, On/Off, Seek, Vol, Voice C. And Right Switch Pack Work Perfect

Only Issus With Left Side (With Left, Right Arrow) Up Down And Ok Work Perfect

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back