Uncomfortable front seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uncomfortable front seats

I unbolted the back rail of the seat and put washers under it and raised it up 1". Seams more comfortable to be now.
Could you not have done that just by using the seat power buttons?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have noticed a difference between the cooled limited and not cooled XLT seats. The XLT seats have more cushioning in them and ride softer. The limited seats because they are ventilated have less cushioning in them. The seats are a little short and skinny I have A 2015 F150 and the seats are really large. The seat seams to set deep in the back. Tilted or lower in the back, even with the front all the way down. I unbolted the back rail of the seat and put washers under it and raised it up 1". Seams more comfortable to be now.
Thank you!

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Please add the trim level of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be helpful at times when replying to your future posts. Thanks.

Peter

Could you not have done that just by using the seat power buttons?

Peter
Hi, Peter
Even with the front of the seat all the way down it still seamed to high in the front. I did use to power button.
Earl

In my 2 week old 2017 limited. I can't get the lowest lumbar support to retract enough. It feels like it is poking me in the back all of the time. My 2011 was not like this. I have tried several different seat positions of the bottom and back, but not having much luck. I am trying to ignore it and get used to it, but it is taking awhile. Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm really curious - and I don't mean for this to sound snarky, that's not my intent. For all the people who think the seats are uncomfortable in their Explorer, when one thinks about the length of time a person will be sitting in those seats - well, why would you go ahead and purchase the vehicle if you don't like the seats? To me, that just sounds like a no-brainer - don't like the seats, then don't buy the car! I don't believe I'd purchase something as expensive as a car and "hope" that I can find a work-around to the comfort issue. I have severe back issues, I've had 5 back surgeries in 12 years (4 of them in the last 3 alone!) so seat comfort is paramount. I actually buy an SUV solely for the purpose of the seating - the car is taller, the seats sit more upright (unlike my husband's Scion where my butt is within 12" of the road and I pretty much have to just roll out of the car to disembark!!).

Before I bought my Explorer a few months ago, I had a '13 Edge Limited and, to me, the seats of the Edge and Explorer feel identical, just that Explorer is a few inches higher off the ground. The Edge and Explorer are actually almost identical in every way (aside from 3 year age difference and improvements) - same dash set-up, exact same Sync, Nav and Sony sound - the Explorer is just a bit bigger, longer, wider but even with the car width, I still think the seats are the same width, there is just more leg room.

As for the Power Seats and the Lumbar, I've always had to fiddle with the seat settings to get them just right and honestly, it really takes weeks, if not longer, to find what's perfect (thank goodness for Memory Seats!) but the Lumbar, for me, is perfect pumped all the way up. I love the pressure it pushes into my back, since I'm in chronic pain.

So, that brings me back to my original question. For me, with my back issues, seat comfort is paramount and there is no way I'd ever buy a car if the seats weren't comfortable, regardless how much I love the car! As for my husband's Scion, it was bought new in 2006 - and I've ridden in it probably less than 20 times in 11 years, that's how much I hate it - and forget driving it! So why would you spend so much money on something you're not comfortable sitting in for any length of time?

Again, it's just a curiosity question, I'm not being judgmental.

In my 2 week old 2017 limited. I can't get the lowest lumbar support to retract enough. It feels like it is poking me in the back all of the time. My 2011 was not like this. I have tried several different seat positions of the bottom and back, but not having much luck. I am trying to ignore it and get used to it, but it is taking awhile. Any ideas?

Thanks

You're not alone. I'm having a similar problem. I find my back aching from the seats in my 2016 Sport. I dont think I can sit in these seats for the duration I'd like to own the vehicle. Wonder if I could replace them with the Platinum seats. Pretty frustrated myself. If you figured out a magic trick. please let me know -
I'm really curious - and I don't mean for this to sound snarky, that's not my intent. For all the people who think the seats are uncomfortable in their Explorer, when one thinks about the length of time a person will be sitting in those seats - well, why would you go ahead and purchase the vehicle if you don't like the seats? To me, that just sounds like a no-brainer - don't like the seats, then don't buy the car! I don't believe I'd purchase something as expensive as a car and "hope" that I can find a work-around to the comfort issue. I have severe back issues, I've had 5 back surgeries in 12 years (4 of them in the last 3 alone!) so seat comfort is paramount. I actually buy an SUV solely for the purpose of the seating - the car is taller, the seats sit more upright (unlike my husband's Scion where my butt is within 12" of the road and I pretty much have to just roll out of the car to disembark!!).

Before I bought my Explorer a few months ago, I had a '13 Edge Limited and, to me, the seats of the Edge and Explorer feel identical, just that Explorer is a few inches higher off the ground. The Edge and Explorer are actually almost identical in every way (aside from 3 year age difference and improvements) - same dash set-up, exact same Sync, Nav and Sony sound - the Explorer is just a bit bigger, longer, wider but even with the car width, I still think the seats are the same width, there is just more leg room.

As for the Power Seats and the Lumbar, I've always had to fiddle with the seat settings to get them just right and honestly, it really takes weeks, if not longer, to find what's perfect (thank goodness for Memory Seats!) but the Lumbar, for me, is perfect pumped all the way up. I love the pressure it pushes into my back, since I'm in chronic pain.

So, that brings me back to my original question. For me, with my back issues, seat comfort is paramount and there is no way I'd ever buy a car if the seats weren't comfortable, regardless how much I love the car! As for my husband's Scion, it was bought new in 2006 - and I've ridden in it probably less than 20 times in 11 years, that's how much I hate it - and forget driving it! So why would you spend so much money on something you're not comfortable sitting in for any length of time?

Again, it's just a curiosity question, I'm not being judgmental.

I drove the car for a couple hours before making the decision to buy. I didn't keep it for the weekend, all day or a week. At that point I didn't have any issue, no they weren't "the best seats ever" but they didn't bother me either and had a lot of adjustment. But as the weeks have progressed and spending more time with them, now I'm feeling it. It's not as simple as you describe. Sometimes you just have to spend a LOT of time in them and one just cant do that well with a sales guy sitting in the back..

You're not alone. I'm having a similar problem. I find my back aching from the seats in my 2016 Sport. I dont think I can sit in these seats for the duration I'd like to own the vehicle. Wonder if I could replace them with the Platinum seats. Pretty frustrated myself. If you figured out a magic trick. please let me know -

I drove the car for a couple hours before making the decision to buy. I didn't keep it for the weekend, all day or a week. At that point I didn't have any issue, no they weren't "the best seats ever" but they didn't bother me either and had a lot of adjustment. But as the weeks have progressed and spending more time with them, now I'm feeling it. It's not as simple as you describe. Sometimes you just have to spend a LOT of time in them and one just cant do that well with a sales guy sitting in the back..
Yes, that is true - it does sometimes take awhile to decide if something is comfortable or not. Like a bed, a pillow even! These seats in the Explorer are so like the seats in my previous Edge - other than the Explorer has the cooled seats which are awesome! - that I just took to them right away. Hope you can get something worked out.

I have the Platinum and don't find the seat that comfortable either. Still trying to get used to it.

Peter

FWIW I spoke to Ford yesterday about the issue, they checked for TSB's for discomfort issues and found none. Said basically it's out of their hands because Ford Manufactures the Vehicles and essentially the Dealers own them. Said I'd need to take it up with the dealer. Of course that pretty much means, I'm screwed. (I get it tho) I also asked about the possibility of replacing the seats with a Premium Seat or one from another model year and they basically told me that, while it was possible, they had no programs to facilitate such a thing and it would void warranteed components of the vehicle (as I have 13K miles). They also said I'd probably not find a Dealer that would even do it.

I still have a couple ideas though, like using some kind of cushion to balance out the curves in the seat. I can "live" with it. I'd just like for my back to have that "Ahhhhhh" feeling when I sit in the vehicle.

Thanks for all that responded. Certainly lessons learned. It'd been 17 years since I'd bought a new vehicle. Kind of funny, I thought they might have all this dialed in by now. :)

I agree that the leather seats aren't that comfortable. I'm a tall guy (6'2") and it feels as if the bottom portion of the seat is shorter than other vehicles.

I've gotten used to it though. No big issues for me. My wife has a '15 Rogue. Her seats are much more comfortable.

I agree that the leather seats aren't that comfortable. I'm a tall guy (6'2") and it feels as if the bottom portion of the seat is shorter than other vehicles.

I've gotten used to it though. No big issues for me. My wife has a '15 Rogue. Her seats are much more comfortable.

Funny, I'm 6' 2" as well. Good description.

:snicker:

IMG_2226_zpshpllklmg.jpg

That almost looks like a Cadillac Escalade seat!

How can anyone complain about seats that raise, lower, slide front, slide back, recline, have a lumbar system and tilt forward and backwards?
I'm 6'2" 385 (yes) and I fit in the seats very nicely and can go on long trips in comfort.

How can anyone complain about seats that raise, lower, slide front, slide back, recline, have a lumbar system and tilt forward and backwards?
I'm 6'2" 385 (yes) and I fit in the seats very nicely and can go on long trips in comfort.
From someone who's had 5 major back surgeries, knee surgery, and arthritis, seat comfort for me is paramount! I drive an SUV to sit up high and straight. I drove a '13 Edge for just shy of 4 years before this Explorer - apart from the Explorer just being longer, a bit wider, and taller, the seats, dash, shifter, console, and Sony/MFT/Sync are identical (aside from upgraded functions) and, for me, both vehicles have very comfortable seats. I'm only 5'8" and it did take some playing around with the seat positioning and lumbar support, pedals, and auto-telescoping, up/down steering wheels but once I got it right, I'm good for long haul rides! But, comfort is relative, not everyone will like the same thing.

One thing I wish it had was the ability to extend the seat cushion forward a bit. My last Highlander had that option. That was the first thing I noticed about the seat cushion. It felt short and it felt uncomfortable. I'm only now getting somewhat used to it. I did not notice this issue with the 2011 I had, making me think that the 2016 redesign may also have included the seats. I haven't even tried the 'massaging' feature yet. BTW, I'm 5'9" and shrinking.:(

Peter

From someone who's had 5 major back surgeries, knee surgery, and arthritis, seat comfort for me is paramount! I drive an SUV to sit up high and straight. I drove a '13 Edge for just shy of 4 years before this Explorer - apart from the Explorer just being longer, a bit wider, and taller, the seats, dash, shifter, console, and Sony/MFT/Sync are identical (aside from upgraded functions) and, for me, both vehicles have very comfortable seats. I'm only 5'8" and it did take some playing around with the seat positioning and lumbar support, pedals, and auto-telescoping, up/down steering wheels but once I got it right, I'm good for long haul rides! But, comfort is relative, not everyone will like the same thing.

Yeah, I wish Ford would offer a multi contour 16 way or so adjustable seats in a separate comfort package like BMW X5 and other manufacturers. I am 6'4" and I wished that the bottom part of seat would be longer and an available front part of seat extender. I think that Ford is just cutting corners by making the same seats for years and years and not offering customers any other seating package as there is so much extra space left between the door and the seat. I don't take a lot of 2-4 hour trips but but I hate when my left leg is bent differently for hours due to that left side dead pedal bump.

Just finished a 2-week 8000 mile trip on a 3-day old 2017 Platinum and can say, these seats are much worse than my 2012 F150 lariat... That said, I did have to fiddle with the seat alot until there was a workable position that didn't require some form of supplemental "pillow" to keep my Sciatic (sp) Nerve on the left side from giving me fits... After I got it dialed-in, it was great. However, just a little movement of the level of the seat it would grieve me again... I really like the Explorer alot aside from the seat comfort and will happily get custom seat covers with extra PU cushion built into them if needed.

Cheers.
SG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished a 2-week 8000 mile trip on a 3-day old 2017 Platinum and can say, these seats are much worse than my 2012 F150 lariat... That said, I did have to fiddle with the seat alot until there was a workable position that didn't require some form of supplemental "pillow" to keep my Sciatic (sp) Nerve on the left side from giving me fits... After I got it dialed-in, it was great. However, just a little movement of the level of the seat it would grieve me again... I really like the Explorer alot aside from the seat comfort and will happily get custom seat covers with extra PU cushion built into them if needed.

Cheers.
SG
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back