5.0 4R70W torque converter slamming | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 4R70W torque converter slamming

Like CDW said if you have the 5.0 you should have the 3.73 LS rear end. They are not that hard to change the clutch packs on unless the PO (previous owner) really cheesed something up trying to fix it.

I got the Carbon fiber clutch pack set from Ford Motor Sports and used 1\2 the modifier called for. Took about an hour to change out the whole thing.

Used less modifier for a better bite.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The axle code is D4. it seems to have gotten worse the more i drove it so i parked it and as soon as i have a free day im gonna dig into it. hoping its a bad VC and not a f'd up rear end.

and Shucker1, I'm not a mechanic..... i can only do certain things.... i'm sure you are probably a mechanic and are experienced that's likely why it only took you an hour.

Sorry,

Didn't want you to take it that way.

Several write ups on this site about working on these cars. Search bar on the site is your friend.

The search features on this site sucks. the few threads i dug up on this topic are old and the pictures are gone so they aren't very helpful. I don't know if i'm just not searching for the correct thing or what, i'm not very good with computers or the internet.

UPDATE:

removed the driveshaft, the same noise persists from the rear end. so i assume its the clutch packs.

Don't assume, open up the rear cover and see how all of the parts look.

Don't assume, open up the rear cover and see how all of the parts look.

How is that going to tell me anything? The clutch packs are not located where the cover is at (according to a ford mechanic i spoke to the other day). It feels as if the rear end is getting worse, when i turn now from a stop the one rear tire will spin (this is with the front driveshaft still out).

Keep Calm and put a bottle of this in your rear end:

032-FORDGEAROILADDITIVE.jpg

If it gets worse the more you drive it might just mean the pack are getting hotter and thus sticking more. Could just be someone didn't put the additive in when they replaced the rear gear fluid or packs.

Then again, if that don't work, then your definitely going the need a whole new rear end, new brakes, new driveshafts, new transfer case, new transmission, new engine, etc, etc......

:D

How is that going to tell me anything? The clutch packs are not located where the cover is at (according to a ford mechanic i spoke to the other day). It feels as if the rear end is getting worse, when i turn now from a stop the one rear tire will spin (this is with the front driveshaft still out).

My comment was about the rear end, which you keep suggesting has a problem. You cannot simply diagnose any/every problem by a noise etc, and know what the answer is. Posting your impressions of a symptom online, it's far more difficult for others to figure out what your issue is.

Thus I suggested the proper thing to do regarding the rear issue. Get a look at the parts, and if it could be inside the rear housing, take the cover off and inspect everything. The fluid most likely needs to be changed, and if it looks low or bad enough, it is also time to replace the axle bearings and seals.

The same goes for the trans, you have no mentioned history of the vehicle, so drop the pan and at the very least, change the fluid and filter. This is all basic maintenance for any vehicle that you buy, assume a lack of proper care, and begin. Good luck,

Heres an update...

drained the fluid and removed the cover. i inspected everything carefully and everything looked to be in excellent shape, i also had a mechanic buddy of mine stop by to give me a second opinion and he agreed that all the gears were in superb shape for the truck's age. I changed the fluid with conventional gear lube with the recommended weight, drove it about 50 miles, and the noise/binding/sticking the rear end was doing before was reduced drastically to the point of where you had to be paying close attention to notice it. I then got some friction modifier and put 4oz in the rear end, and i drove it 40 miles today. The friction modifier made things way worse, now the binding/sticking/noise is LOUDER than it was before i had changed it and it feels as if its hanging up/sticking even worse. If i had known it would do this, i would've just changed the fluid and NOT added the friction modifier. My buddy said he believes the clutch packs are fried.....can anyone else give me some opinions?

Bump

I'm late to this, but I don't see you have any option but to change out that clutch pack in the rear end. At least you know where the issue is.

I just bought another 5.0 explorer, this one is a 1999. this one has the SAME "binding" and noise coming from the rear end when turning. Is everyone sure that this isn't deemed "NORMAL" for the 5.0 explorer rear ends? I have only had 3 of the 5.0 ones, the one was many years ago so i dont remember if the rear end in that one did this.

Clutch packs will normally not go more that 100K miles without needing to be replaced depending on how the truck was driven.

Really. I've never heard of something like that.....are the D4 rear axle really that weak? Over the years I've been told that the D4 was one of the best rear ends ever made. I have almost no experience with them so i can't relate..

Back