1999 Ford explorer auto/ XLS won't go into reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford explorer auto/ XLS won't go into reverse

Explorermadness

Reaction score
City, State
Pomona, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLS
Hello,
I am a single woman who owns a Ford explorer 1999/ xls and it has 80,000 miles on it.. I am very religious on keeping up with all the maintence on this vehicle.. however today.. when i went to go into reverse with it.. OMG!! it sounded like i hit a pole backing up.. I got out and there was nothing behind me..LOL.. I then got back in and found that ( no emergency brake) was engaged.. and then I put it back into park then back into reverse again.. it just sounded like it was in neutral.. :( I am bummed.. Not sure who to ask or what to do.. not like I have the knowledge or money for this.. anyone..!! anyone out there can help me with the fix..?? or suggest what I might do rather than mortgaging my house to a auto shop or dealership?? LOL
thanks.
Nicolette.
btw. happy memorial day!! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Have you checked the fluid for the transmission? You say that you have been very religious on keeping up with all the maintenance on this vehicle. One major thing is the ATF and transmission filter that seems to get missed the most. The good news is that 80k is like skipping an oil change. It should be done about 40-50k miles. (From my own personal experience) If it hasn't, I would get that done as soon as we find out the problem at hand. How does drive and over-drive do? When you put it in gear, count how many times you pull it down instead of looking at the arrow on R or D. When it is in reverse, is it loose like it's in neutral, or does it try to pull at all?

1999 ford explorer with no reverse..

thank you for your response.. ok .. the oil is changed every 3 thousand miles.. and yes i did check the fluid on the transmission.. it's OK.. the drive and overdrive are also ok.. no problem there. only one time on the pull down for either D or R.. when I put it in reverse..:):eek: it is loose like it's in neutral and there is NO PULL at all....
:confused: this just makes me crazy.. the thought of everywhere i go now i will have to push the truck backwards.. fun stuff.. or find parking where i don't have to go into reverse.. any suggestions as to what it might be.. ?? I have had 2 guys already tell me it's quite a labor intensive job and the trans needs to be replaced.. for god's sakes.. the truck is only 7 years old!!
thanks.
:salute:

Welcome to the forum! Have you checked the fluid for the transmission? You say that you have been very religious on keeping up with all the maintenance on this vehicle. One major thing is the ATF and transmission filter that seems to get missed the most. The good news is that 80k is like skipping an oil change. It should be done about 40-50k miles. (From my own personal experience) If it hasn't, I would get that done as soon as we find out the problem at hand. How does drive and over-drive do? When you put it in gear, count how many times you pull it down instead of looking at the arrow on R or D. When it is in reverse, is it loose like it's in neutral, or does it try to pull at all?

Welcome to this forum! If you put the shifter into 1 does it go into drive? Do you have 4X4? It could be a shift fork in the transfer case. Other possibilities could be loose valve body bolts, bad valve body gaskets, broken one way sprag, stuck reverse modulator spool in the valve body or a misaligned shift linkage.

thanks for your response..! yes it does go into drive when in 1st. don't have 4x4.... not sure of the language you have put down that the problem can be..sure wish I had someone close that could look at it..;) everyone is telling me i need a new trans or rebuild.. but noone has taken it apart..
:roll:

Welcome to this forum! If you put the shifter into 1 does it go into drive? Do you have 4X4? It could be a shift fork in the transfer case. Other possibilities could be loose valve body bolts, bad valve body gaskets, broken one way sprag, stuck reverse modulator spool in the valve body or a misaligned shift linkage.

So the question still stands. When did you get the transmission oil and filter changed? Where not talking about the engine oil change interval. How did you assume the oil quality in the trans was ok? By now you should have had two complete trans flushes with your mileage along with trans filters.

Hi Wrench!!! thanks for the response.. and that's a good question.. trans fluid and filter.. hmmmm.. the only thing that I checked was the dip stick to the trans fluid which showed it was up the proper level.. did not think to look at the quality.. and the trans filter.. don't think that was ever changed.. I could be wrong..??.. would that make it not shift into reverse? any help you could give would be appreciative..
again thanks.. you can email me @ spldhart7@msn.com
thanks.
Nicolette.:roll:

My 99 Ex did this yesterday. Fluid is fresh and clean and no problem noise or slipping from the tranny. I was backing out of a parking space and there was a loud thunk or pop sound like I backed into something. Drove on home with no problems, slipping or anything wrong with drive or od. I pulled in my driveway stopped and shifted into reverse and nothing. I could rev the engine like it was in neutral. I was wondering if there is a shift linkage that might have just poped off or something like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Back