02 XLS 4.0 Supercharger yay or nay? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 XLS 4.0 Supercharger yay or nay?

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hi all, I've been considering putting a supercharger in my 02 XLS for quite some time now, mostly as a project, but also to make it a bit more fun/responsive to drive, I have no complaints with the 4.0 but it could definitely use a bit more power.
I'm a bit up in the air as my Explorer has 160,000 miles on it, I just finished some suspension work, maintenance is up to date, and overall I have taken pretty good care of my car with little problems.
Transmission has been replaced about 40,000 miles ago, so hopefully I won't have any problems with that in the near future.
Moddbox has a supercharger kit adaptable with the Eaton M90, which is on sale right now at 15% off, so I figured it would be a good time to drop the ball.
I don't plan on making this thing a race car (not that it's possible) and would most likely be running lower boost levels (3 - 5.5 PSI) unless I decided to upgrade in the future.
I just can't decide if it's worth it to modify a truck that has 160k on it, I do plan on driving this thing for all it's worth.
I have also picked up a job at an independent mechanic, so ANYTHING that fails I will be able to replace with discounted parts and no labor, so it wouldn't turn into an absolute money pit.
The total project with the supercharger and kit would run be about 2500.
What do you guys think? Any input appreciated.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission won't hold up. It is barely adequate to handle stock hp.

Transmission won't hold up. It is barely adequate to handle stock hp.

Can't handle a 50 crank HP gain? I wouldn't be running boost too often, as I said i'm not looking for a race car here, I drive my car conservatively as is. Just looking for a bit more get up and go, and something to work on.

I know the transmissions are quite unreliable, but what would you say is a safe hp gain while avoiding any problems.

Can't handle a 50 crank HP gain? I wouldn't be running boost too often, as I said i'm not looking for a race car here, I drive my car conservatively as is. Just looking for a bit more get up and go, and something to work on.

I know the transmissions are quite unreliable, but what would you say is a safe hp gain while avoiding any problems.

If you just want better acceleration get a lower rear end ratio, much cheaper. What do you currently have? 3.55 ?

No safe alternatives for the transmission. It is garbage I hate to say it but it is. My girlfriend has it in her ranger. Just leave it as stock and enjoy it for what it is.

As you said, the transmissions are already unreliable. There is no amount of additional horsepower which will improve that condition.

When I went to AAMCO transmission school, I saw a 5500 pound (dry weight) truck with a 4L engine and a C4 transmission in it. That showed me that the engine and the transmission are a pair. The transmission has the survive the power of the engine, not the weight of the vehicle. Changing the rear gear ratio might get you the acceleration you want, but the transmission will still have the same amount of torque inflicted on it. Increasing the torque on a transmission that is already marginal is merely asking for trouble.

If you just want better acceleration get a lower rear end ratio, much cheaper. What do you currently have? 3.55 ?

3.55 I believe yes, i'd have to check again but i'm 90% sure. I do quite a bit of highway driving/long trips, I feel lowering the gear ratio would inflict too much of a decrease in MPG's, whereas a supercharger (in theory shouldn't) but from what i've read, will increase MPG's, depending on driving style of course. Plus i'm looking for that supercharger whine :)

Assume I installed the super charger and NEVER went into boost, kept accelerations at a minimum, this wouldn't put extra strain on the transmission would it? Maybe I don't have enough knowledge on how a supercharger affects the engine, but I assume keeping off the throttle=less HP being delivered to the crank=no extra strain on engine/tranny. Correct?

Increase rear end ratio to take load off the transmission. 4.10+

Check my post above, 4.10 would decrease MPG quite considerably would it not?

I believe the the increase in mpg comes more from the tune than the supercharger because you could see a similar gain with a handheld tuner. But I purchased the moddbox kit around the time this thread started, because of the 15% discount lol. I haven't installed it yet but I had decided to atleast buy the kit since I had never seen the go so low. Got the kit, intercooler, SCT firewire cable, and an 8 psi pulley for about 2400 after shipping. I want to save up to get all of the supporting mods first (exhaust, injectors, plugs & wires, custom intake). But if it makes you feel any better, I currently have about 196k miles on my explorer :) gonna say f*** it when the time comes haha. I've been interested in this kit since I found out about the company during fall 2014 but never really got into it until I purchased a supercharger, from a fellow forum member, fall 2015 as a 21st birthday present to myself. I work part time and also go to school but I am hoping to install it by the end of spring. I'll definitely do a write up, maybe a video and post on youtube
But more importantly, Moddbox is currently selling their kits for $200 off and offering FREE shipping for christmas. So if anyone is interested, now would be another good time to buy

Back