• Register Today It's free!

Brakes, she's a leaker!

idontknow82

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT V6 OHV
I decided to lay card board down and check the rear brakes, and holy smokes! I just don't know if I want to deal with this thing any more, may not be worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's really a pretty easy repair. Just buy a length if brake line from any auto parts store and replace the leaking one.

After checking the used car listings, I have decided to replace the line. At least I could go directly to the master cylinder instead of going to that useless ABS junk.

A blown line over the rear axle is a feature on these it seems. At some point Ford put better lines in (01 or so), but there is a bracket right on the top of the pumpkin and holds the line. They rust through and break there first, generally.

kevinspann hit that on the head. My rear axle line was the first to go, then the long line from ABS to rear axle.
If its the rear axle line its easy. The long line from front to rear is a little more time consuming. Use the cupronickel line in any case, it bends easy without kinking the line.
On the long line I removed the old line first (you don't really have to do that) except for a short section by the fuel tank I couldn't get to without dropping the tank and cleared the fuel line retainer clips. Tape over the end of the line and feed from the rear through the frame to the front. Install the rear fitting when you have 4-5 ft sticking out the rear of the vehicle. Just let the front line run wild when you get it routed through the front and the frame. Once you get the rear fitting hooked up, place your line into the extra fuel line clips Ford thoughtfully placed in there. Take care to bend around the fuel filter as you will have to replace that sometime in the future. Return to the front and make your bends to the ABS block. Save the fitting from the ABS block and reuse it on the new line. Bleed brakes. Test brakes. Done.
I used this from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01801G45A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fittings provided, had several left over. You will need a tubing cutter, a flaring tool, and a some flare nut wrenches. Takes maybe a couple hours at the most.
EDIT: Good thread on this repair
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/replacing-main-brake-line.236951/page-2

I started working on a little bit here and there on this brake job a few days before the end of march, and this job is a headache ( like most things on these explorers ) which is why it has taken so long to do. Trying to cut out things that are rusted especially where the hard line meets with the hose for the rear line that was a big problem. I am now waiting on some things I ordered to hopefully complete the job. I have also been documenting it on video the best I can so others can get an idea of what or where things are.

Back