Exterior Door Handle (plastic to metal) Conversion? > YES! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior Door Handle (plastic to metal) Conversion? > YES!

I don't think I have broke any yellow clips, even from the couple remove and reinstalls of my door handles, and even in the junkyard during removal.

Here's a tip I figured out when I was in the junkyard to remove some metal ones. Take a bungee cord, one end over the top edge of the door, other end on the door handle itself, to hold it up. MUCH easier to access the rivets that hold the handle on. Sucks trying to hold the handle up, and drill the rivets. Also, if drilling, protect the bottom edge of the handle with something so the drill chuck or whatnot does not damage the paint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another tip...go to your local Ace or Hardware Hank store and buy the black button bolts to reattach the handles. The heads look almost identical to the rivet heads you drill out. Much easier on the ends of your fingers/fingernails when you reach up inside the handle to lift it. Believe they are 1/4" dia.

Regarding the yellow clips...I wouldn't worry about them breaking, either. Never had one break on me.

Lots of valuable info. Thanks!

I've run across some threads on people having handle "flop" issues and fixing it by replacing springs. Even though I don't think this issue currently applies to my situation, should I replace the springs now as a preventative measure?

It's not that you replace the broken spring as much as it is you add a spring. There is a STICKY on this subject with photos. I've done this trick on my '01 EB and it worked very well. I think in order to replace the spring would mean drilling out the rivet on the handle, finding a suitable spring and then reassembling the handle with some sort of a new rivet. Even if you could do this, the replacement spring would most likely just break eventually. Easier to just add the spring.

Link: See photo in post #19
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...atch-problem-solved-temporarily-maybe.207373/

I've run across some threads on people having handle "flop" issues and fixing it by replacing springs. Even though I don't think this issue currently applies to my situation, should I replace the springs now as a preventative measure?

I would not worry about broken spring issues until you have them. I had a the floppy handle issue, and tried to install a spring I got from a local hardware store, and another one I got from another local hardware store. Broke both of them. Maybe heating them somehow before bending would have worked, but I didn't try it. I did end up snagging some springs from an OEM handle in the junkyard, which work fine. Later, I also ran across an Explorer that had the same exterior color as mine, so I snagged the rear two handles for spares
snicker.gif

So I ended up ordering a full set of four 95-97 metal exterior door handles from 1AAuto for $60 shipped. Picked up the nuts and bolts at Ace Hardware for another $10 making this project $70 total. Found lots of useful installation information here and here. Including the image below on nut/bolt sizing, thanks to inspect4all@hot.

Decided to perform the install today (see pics below). Went well overall and I'm very happy with the results! Thanks to everyone for your input!

Nut/Bolt Sizing (I opted out of using lock washers, just the stop nut)
PB300001.jpg

Old Plastic vs New Metal

Old Plastic vs New Metal

Old Plastic Handle Snapped Off

Old Plastic Handle Removed

New Metal Handle Installed

Lesson Learned: Make sure metal tabs are fully inserted prior to tightening nuts/bolts

New Metal Handle Metal Tabs

New Metal Handles Installed on All Doors

@turblown

How did you address how the door handle rod attaches to the new handle? I got my new metal handle but how the rod connects to the handle is different on the metal handle. Will the rod for the plastic handles work with the new metal handle? I have a 2001 explorer sport but the plastic handle looks the same as the one you posted. The door is a lot different behind the trim panel though. Much less easy to access everything. :\

I hope you used some anti-seize on the SS bolts and nuts. Then again, you should never need to remove them again.

@turblown

How did you address how the door handle rod attaches to the new handle? I got my new metal handle but how the rod connects to the handle is different on the metal handle. Will the rod for the plastic handles work with the new metal handle? I have a 2001 explorer sport but the plastic handle looks the same as the one you posted. The door is a lot different behind the trim panel though. Much less easy to access everything. :\

It was pretty much an exact replacement. I did not have to modify or adjust anything. Not sure how it compares on an Explorer Sport. Sorry, but If the info isn't in the links I provided, I'm not much help.

I hope you used some anti-seize on the SS bolts and nuts. Then again, you should never need to remove them again.

If you are worried about rust, I'm in Arizona, so we don't see much of that out here. But yes, I'm hoping I never have to remove them again.

If you are worried about rust, I'm in Arizona, so we don't see much of that out here. But yes, I'm hoping I never have to remove them again.

No, not rust. SS fasteners, when screwed together, tend to gaul (not sure how you spell that word) and seize together. If that happens they're never coming apart. You end up either needing to break the bolt, or cut it off. I learned this lesson the hard way. This would be especially hard to do with button-head Allen bolts or while working inside a door. I use regular, plated, dish-head Phillips screws, flat washers and nyloc nuts to replace door handles and since I use plastic replacement handles there's a pretty good expectation that I'll need to replace them again in the future... LOL.

Subscribed.

It was pretty much an exact replacement. I did not have to modify or adjust anything. Not sure how it compares on an Explorer Sport. Sorry, but If the info isn't in the links I provided, I'm not much help.

Did you pull out the little white plastic insert that's in the pic on the metal handle and put the rod through there? It looks completely different on the plastic handle. Just wondering if you remember any issues with that.

Everything worked out fine on my 01 sport. I had to bend the door a little to make the 2 square slots that the handle goes through because they were too small for the metal handle, and things are a lot less accessible on the sport door but everything worked out fine.

Did you pull out the little white plastic insert that's in the pic on the metal handle and put the rod through there? It looks completely different on the plastic handle. Just wondering if you remember any issues with that.

The old plastic handle design is an open slot which allows for a small amount of movement. The new metal handle design is a small metal bracket with a white plastic insert that is able to swivel just a small amount. Both designs serve the same purpose. I did NOT remove the white plastic insert. I pushed the rod through it.

Back