Saga of a new ( to me ) 2002 Mercury Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saga of a new ( to me ) 2002 Mercury Mountaineer

IPcamper

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Here is a post about buying an old 2002 Mountaineer. Let it be a warning to whoever is thinking about something similar.

At the end of October I spotted a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer Premier on Craigslist. It came with a 4.6L V8, AWD, Tow package, and rear climate control. 76,000 miles only $1800. My son and went and looked it over and while it only had a few cosmetic issues like the front bumper cover broken and some scratches, the body and interior where in good shape.

The engine not so much, It had sat for nearly a year. The previous owner had turned it over from time to time, but not driven it. The engine started, but ran really rough, a scan tool gave a bunch of errors. So I checked the compression, and it was good. so I took a chance on it and bought it.

6 weeks later
New plugs
a new COP on cylinder 5
New fuel filter, manually cleaned the injectors and fuel rail
New serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump, clutch for the fan.
New brake pads, new rotors, new parking brake, flushed the brake fluid.
New rear struts due to broken right rear spring.
New front wheel bearings ( both sides )
New front half shaft axles ( rebuilt )
New right rear wheel bearing ( along with a new 12 ton HarborFreight press )
Salvaged bumper cover and new fog lamps
New tires
Flushed front Differential, Rear differential ( 3.73 LS )
Flushed transfer case.
Flushed coolant
Flushed the powersteering
Changed oil ( 2x in last 6 weeks )
Used Forscan to program 2 new keys, ( only had one )

Things left to do
Change the transmission filter and fluid
New intake manifold gasket ( minor air leak, temporary sealed with silicone )

A whole lot of labor ( mine ) and about ~$2000 in parts, tires, fluids, and tools.

It was a lot more work than I had hoped, but there wasn't anything I couldn't handle with time. It runs well and is very smooth on the highway at 70mph. It even passes the wife test.

So if any of you are thinking about doing something similar when you see a deal too good to past up, check it more thoroughly then I did, but don't let the hard work scare you off from a good deal. I figured I am into this for $3800 ( before tax and tags ) and if I can get few more years out of it then great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears that most of the parts changed out were normal maintenance issues that most vehicles require anyway. The intake manifold issue and the bearings are the only things I can find fault with the design but the other things are just excellent maintenance practice.

Good job!

Your are correct about most of the repairs being deferred maintenance. The vehicle was neglected not abused. But it was still more than I had originally hope to do. I am pleased with the out come.

I had to laugh when I saw this post, if you change the price and model year to 2004 EB with 75k miles, it's the same thing i'm going through with a Craigslist special I picked up 2 months ago.

I've replaced almost everything you had on your list sans wheel bearings as of the past month, last thing left to do is upper control arms. I was fairly hesitant to pick up a 3rd gen, but so far so good!

this is the same discussion we have in bmw and lincoln ls forum where the car depreciated so much it seems to be a deal but if you calculate the work that needs to be done it sometimes costs more than the car, probably lower if you are a DIY but at any rate there's no cheap deals without adding more effort (and cash) into it. that's why it pays to bargain and ask more info from the seller (sometimes it's so cheap you just have to pass the deal because of the risk sinking more money into it)

Lincolnshibuya you right about the cost analysis on this sort of "Deal" If I had to pay for labor on these repairs, I would never have looked at it. By taking my time, doing my own work, and shopping for parts, I have keep the cost down where it is worth it to me. However, no one else in my family would consider it. Where possible, I have ordered the parts on line to keep cost down. The same Moog front bearing hub assembly from RockAuto was half the price of the local parts store. I do have to tip the mailman this Christmas, I have abused him with all of the part deliveries. I really think he didn't like dropping off the struts.

I think a lot of us have similar stories, no matter what type of car we have. I bought a 2003 Aviator two years ago. My list looks the same maybe a little longer. Mostly maintenance as yours, with a few small repairs. The first year I spent 2300 on M & R, the second year it dropped down to $1300. I probably did 3/4 of the work: tires, brakes, fluid changes, oil changes battery, AC charge and piddly other just normal maintenance. The repairs: really weren't many: front wheel bearings, power steering hose, transmission cableand brake light switch. Things just added up. I also replaced any missing or damaged interior or exterior damaged or missing parts, maybe $100 of stuff and I bought a Weathertech cargo mat for @$125.

But now I'm on top of everything and it looks great. There is a point with every used car you have to spend some $$$ on it and at 107K, that's what the Aviator needed. Staying on top of these things gives me a better chance of keeping off my serious problems (that I don't want to think about). Another plus.............no car payments!

Tom

What are thoughts regarding a buying a car which was fleet-driven, like a rental, where routine maintenance may not have been so neglected? imp

Imp

I would have no problem buying a fleet maintained car. They know how important it is to keep the car up to stuff. Car rental companies, I'm sure, probably don't keep them more than a year. A friend of mine is in the taxi business in Boston. They would buy ex police cars probably at @100K. Large police departments have pretty good maintenance programs. For years he ran Chevy LT1 Caprices. I can remember him telling me the engines would last 550K..............easy, not the transmissions though. I don't know how many he had, maybe 25 and he was adamant on maintaining them.

He was in a panic when Chevy stopped making the Caprices. He went to Crown Vics, he would get 350K out of the engines. Today I think he runs Toyota's. I remember him having charts on the wall about each car. Morale of the story, take care of the cars and they will take care of you.

Tom

@silverfox103
Good post, thanks! I was thinking of my own F-700, an ex-Ryder rental truck I bought from a private owner who had gotten it from Ryder, hoping to open a moving business (28' box). 429 gasoline, 1998, speed density, no air brakes, we loaded over 20,000 pounds, my milling machine, lathe, bandsaw, welders, tool cabinets, etc., all the heavy **** somebody like me has, in Missouri, drove it to Arizona completely trouble-free, clock says 162K, electronic. Definitely overloaded, bypassed all weigh-stations uneventfully.

Now, I'm reluctant to sell it, though I could really use the dough! imp

What are thoughts regarding a buying a car which was fleet-driven, like a rental, where routine maintenance may not have been so neglected? imp
i have one an 05 mountaineer 156,000+miles i bought it with 135000 first checked oil clean as a whistle.car fax i found a lot of maintenance records i am the third owner as i came to find out and has the original trans as far as i know.Only had a small leak in the front cv at the block and 90 mins later and $26 no more leak front diff oil clean as well only put an ounce of lube in there..was leased out of maine and ended up in joliet IL. with 90,000 miles and then sold at an auction to a small car dealer where i saw it for 3,995 took it for a ride and got it 3,500 about two years ago...door jam shorts since and now key fob issues still happy so far....i may have just got lucky i also have a 2002 mountaineer 4.0 didnt check the oil when i bought it and it was some of the dirtiest oil i ever seen changed that oil and was black again in less then 500 miles not a fleet car

Back