Maybe Dead Transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maybe Dead Transmission

@Macgiobuin
I respect your knowledge in this. But why do you not mention trouble codes? imp
Looks like the truck owner is in Florida. getting the codes would really help, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the truck owner is in Florida. getting the codes would really help, though.
I would agree I think the codes would help immensely. Bu with the holidays don't have the cash to tow for a code for a repair I may be able to do myself. If someone in central Florida has a reader I can meet up with and pull the codes, that would be great!

I would agree I think the codes would help immensely. Bu with the holidays don't have the cash to tow for a code for a repair I may be able to do myself. If someone in central Florida has a reader I can meet up with and pull the codes, that would be great!

So decided to buy one, posted a three in Under the Hood asking for some reccomedations Looking at Launch and Autel. Leaning toward launch right now. Any thoughts?

I have an Autel AU619. Very happy with it. Lots of extra protocols: ABS, SRS....

I have an Autel AU619. Very happy with it. Lots of extra protocols: ABS, SRS....
I saw that one, but it says that it does not do trans trouble codes. So I looked at the 702/3 series. But with other family cars. The 802 was a good all round.

Hi, get an app called Forscan. I believe it can do bi-directional controls. Then get a cheap bluetooth dongle ( I use BAFX, but many others may work). There is nothing better you can use for Fords. Also, it is free.

OK so added some Mercon and a few things to diagnose the problem. It appears that there is fluid coming from the bell housing plug. Trying to attach pictures on my phone. Can't figure it out. Keeps asking for URL

If there's ATF coming out the bell housing hole your front pump seal or torque converter is leaking.

If there's ATF coming out the bell housing hole your front pump seal or torque converter is leaking.
And neither of them sound cheap or easy to fix. :(

I don't know much about Explorer transmissions, I didn't know there was so few V8 cars though, learn something every day

I think the reason that V8 parts/transmissions are harder to find is that they tend to not break down as often and get parted out. Plenty of SOHC parts cars around.

Post up the codes once you get them, doing any repairs before that is just guessing and that can get expensive. The leak from the front is not a good sign as it will require the removal of the transmission.

I think the reason that V8 parts/transmissions are harder to find is that they tend to not break down as often and get parted out. Plenty of SOHC parts cars around.

Probably, I've found that finding a V8 in my area with a blown engine/trans that the body isn't junk on is an absolutely awful job, been looking for months and wouldn't have anything I've seen.

Back