2017 in the shop and need a little help, please. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 in the shop and need a little help, please.

SVT2059

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
I am looking for the address to send a "notice of defect" to Ford. The address is supposed to be in the warranty book or owner's manual. I don't have access to mine so if someone wouldn't mind, could you please check your manual and either post or message me the address? I'd appreciate it. I searched here but didn't see it.

Back story: picked up our 2017 from the dealer on 25 November. On the 28th it started shaking violently, lost power and we had it towed to our dealer. It's been there ever since with 114.4 miles on it. The timing chain broke. Actually, it looks like the timing chain wasn't crimped properly and a link fell out. The tech took the engine apart twice and it still will not run. I have called Ford and have a Regional Customer Service Manager (RCSM) working on the issue but I still want to file the notice of defect to protect my rights under the Lemon Law. The RCSM is supposed to email updates and then call on the 19th. I've gotten no updates so far.

Today is day 18 that it just sits in the bay at the dealer waiting for someone to do something. I have a rental Explorer that they are paying for, and I am very grateful for, but I am paying for a vehicle that I don't have, with features that the rental does not.

Anywho, if one of you would be so kind... thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From Page 35 of the Warranty Guide:

State warranty enforcement laws

These state laws - sometimes called lemon laws - allow owners to receive a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price, under certain circumstances. The laws vary from state to state.

To the extent your state law allows, Ford Motor Company requires that you first send us a written notification of any defects or non-conformities that you have experienced with your vehicle. (This will give us the opportunity to make any needed repairs before you pursue the remedies provided by your state’s law.)

In all other states where not specifically required by state law, Ford Motor Company requests that you give us the written notice.
Send your written notification to:

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Thank you very much!!

Hi Christine. All manuals, warranty guides etc. are always available online. In fact I've downloaded all 5th gen Manuals for handy reference. I find it much easier to locate things in the Manual using the 'Find' feature available to PDF documents. Good luck.
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I should have known they were online, it's just been crazy trying to learn the laws in a fairly new (to me) state and not being close to the Ex to just run and grab things from it.

It's still at the dealer. After I called Ford they got a Regional Rep to jump in and she helped get a new engine ordered. It should be to the dealer tomorrow. Since I did file that "notice of defect" we have a new lady working with us to rectify the issues. I really didn't want to file that notice but protecting our interest if the vehicle doesn't get fixed in reasonable time that was the only goal. They've had it for 22 days today. We only had it for 72 hours. LOL! I'm not even all that upset, Ford is doing right. It's just taking some time. I've got a rental that they are paying for and they are taking care of my first payment for me. Can't ask for anything more. Soon we will have our new Ex back.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Sounds like everything is going the right way. You stayed cool and level headed, Ford has responded and has done what they be doing.

Good luck and hopefully all will be fine once you get it back.

Hope you can enjoy the Ex as intended after this is over with.

Yep, things are proceeding as they should. I'm not typically the most patient person but there's nothing I can do about what happened and there is no reason to be nasty to anyone.
I hope all will be fine too! I miss my contour motion seats. :)
Thanks!

I got it back yesterday! The dealer offered to get it detailed for me but I thanked them and said no. I took care of that the moment I got it home.
I am SO happy.
I've got many friends that said, "I bet you won't buy another Ford". I am very brand loyal and have been so since I was a kid. I certainly will buy another! I can't complain; they stepped up and took care of things. It's very appreciated too.

I got it back yesterday! The dealer offered to get it detailed for me but I thanked them and said no. I took care of that the moment I got it home.
I am SO happy.
I've got many friends that said, "I bet you won't buy another Ford". I am very brand loyal and have been so since I was a kid. I certainly will buy another! I can't complain; they stepped up and took care of things. It's very appreciated too.
I know I am a little late to the party, but glad to learn everything has been resolved for you, SVT2059!!!

Deysha

I am SO happy.

You take the good with the bad...glad you have it back.

Deysha, no worries. I didn't ask for assistance here as I had called Ford Regional Customer Care. I had some great people at Ford, the dealership and our tech helping and it all got taken care of.
Thanks for all you do, Deysha! We all appreciate you and the other FordService Reps.

Deysha, no worries. I didn't ask for assistance here as I had called Ford Regional Customer Care. I had some great people at Ford, the dealership and our tech helping and it all got taken care of.
Thanks for all you do, Deysha! We all appreciate you and the other FordService Reps.

It's our pleasure, Christine; we're happy to help when we can! We're so glad to see this worked out favorably, and you've got your Explorer back!

We're here if you have any questions in the future. :)

Rachel

Back