List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

My 2015 Ford Explorer's hood is bubbling - just noticed it. Going to call dealership. Hopefully issue will be resolved!
Welcome to the Forum Elaine.:wave:
Good luck at the dealership. It would also be helpful if you added the trim level of the Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For what it's worth, I opened a service ticket with Ford about the hood issue in 2015 and received the same response - vehicle's out of warranty, sorry. I have the premium warranty and their explanation was that if the corrosion resulted in a hold in the hood it would be covered but not the paint alone.

The TSB is a good explanation of the repair, it would just be nice if Ford recognized the issue as a defect and would cover the cost.

The TSB page is great - I see a few other issues I have with my Explorer. Thanks!

Sadly I too am on the list. 2013 sport w 55k miles that I bought Wednesday. It was dark when I bought it and raining when I picked it up and didn't notice it until today

One chip maybe eraser size has come off and been previously repaired w touch up paint. The rest isn't bad but looks like it will be. I've messaged ford service and will call my dealer tomorrow. I wonder if they'll give me the option to swap to something else......it's a shame because I LOVE the car after 4 days.

Mine's going in Friday , luckily covered under bumper to bumper , I have 22K

Thanks, Deysha , and for you help with my Mustang on the 6g forum too . ;)

I have a 2011 limited black explorer and just noticed the other day that the front edge of the hood is starting to blister. This is happening in a couple of spots along the front edge of hood. I am wondering if there has been any other people with similar problems. ( I wash and wax this Ex all the time)
I along with many others have the same rust problem. Mine is a 2014, just going out of warranty. Is there any class action going on that would lead to some relief?

I along with many others have the same rust problem. Mine is a 2014, just going out of warranty. Is there any class action going on that would lead to some relief?
Hello Ronwag,

I recommend bringing your vehicle to your local Ford Dealer and get it diagnosed first. With the diagnosis, your dealer can look up any TSBs, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle. Be sure to speak with the service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 month/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 month/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

This is only for customer pay repairs, not warranty repairs.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What you see if not rust since aluminum doesn't rust. There is no class action for this issue even though some members that had the hood repaired under warranty had the same problem again later on. There is however a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the problem. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247
Also, please add the trim (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be helpful info at times. Happy New Year!

Peter

This is only for customer pay repairs, not warranty repairs.
Correct, blwnsmoke . However, you should always speak with your service manager about warranty of repairs. Especially with paint repairs, as they may vary. Some body shops may have a lifetime warranty, and some may have a 6 month warranty. It all depends on the body shop.

Deysha

What you see if not rust since aluminum doesn't rust. There is no class action for this issue even though some members that had the hood repaired under warranty had the same problem again later on. There is however a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the problem. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247
Also, please add the trim (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be helpful info at times. Happy New Year!

Peter
Just spoke to a service manager at my dealership, he told me that this TSB is for information and directions for and how to repair. It does not extend the warranty nor does it oblige Ford to do any repairs for free (if out of 3years/36k basic warranty).

Just spoke to a service manager at my dealership, he told me that this TSB is for information and directions for and how to repair. It does not extend the warranty nor does it oblige Ford to do any repairs for free (if out of 3years/36k basic warranty).

i would call ford customer service. They may split the bill with you on it. Or you could threaten small claims which will likely get them to pay the whole thing but with any litigation will take time

No TSB extends a warranty nor is a TSB done for free when the vehicle is no longer under warranty. Most TSBs also include directions as to how they are to be carried out as well as being for information. What the Service Manage describe is in fact what a TSB is for. A TSB is not a Recall which sometimes is done free outside of any warranty.

Peter

Hello Ronwag,

I recommend bringing your vehicle to your local Ford Dealer and get it diagnosed first. With the diagnosis, your dealer can look up any TSBs, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle. Be sure to speak with the service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Deysha
The Warranty is limited to miles and time after the service date. A 2014 could easily be out of Warranty if the service date is 2013 after tonight. It may be a 2014 but out of warranty. Even though the corrosion problem is something that begins while under warranty but not evident for months. It is not covered. It is anti customer though.

Mine's going in Friday , luckily covered under bumper to bumper , I have 22K

Holidays delayed stuff, but a new hood is in order, should be all set next week I hope.

Correct, blwnsmoke . However, you should always speak with your service manager about warranty of repairs. Especially with paint repairs, as they may vary. Some body shops may have a lifetime warranty, and some may have a 6 month warranty. It all depends on the body shop.

Deysha
I have the same bubbling problem and was just told by dealer that Ford will not fix it as out of warranty. I bought the car on the understanding that it was put together by competent car builders. Not a company that does not know how to make the paint stay on their cars. Can please explain why we should trust a company that produces a car where the paint literally falls off?

I have the same bubbling problem and was just told by dealer that Ford will not fix it as out of warranty. I bought the car on the understanding that it was put together by competent car builders. Not a company that does not know how to make the paint stay on their cars. Can please explain why we should trust a company that produces a car where the paint literally falls off?
Sorry to hear you are having this issue along with many others.
Please complete your profile by adding the year, model and trim level of your Explorer as requested when registering. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Astor,

I understand the inconvenience this paint concern has caused you. Please remember, your new-vehicle limited warranty (bumper-to-bumper) is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever one comes first. This covers manufacturer’s defects on your vehicle. Let’s review this for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Back