Exterior lower door trim removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior lower door trim removal

kris81se

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I am looking to replace the chrome exterior lower door trims with a black ones. Do they have clips or a double sided tape? Any idea of the part number for the black ones? Thanks!

20170101_091447.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Snaps in. Go to you tube and see how it is inserted.

instead of buying the new pieces why not paint the chrome or get it wrapped? would be a lot less expensive...

I'm planning in doing is this along with the one in the liftgate and the chrome pieces from the grille, we you able to figure it out?

Ok is there any updated information on removing theses panels/trim?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If no one replies here, I suggest going to the "modified" sub forum and check the threads there. There is one called "My Blacked Out Explorer" which you should able to find with the Forum's 'Search' feature and use the PM feature to contact members that have done it. There are several members that have done this.

Peter

They snap in. Mine are being replaced because the Tire Shop I use to swap from summer to winter tires popped mine off on the lift.

Hey thanks for the feedback guys. I figured it was snap in.. I got a tool... Just leery about digging in there and popping it out!

I just replaced one of mine. I turned in to a rock and ripped it off. I just had to pop out all the broken tabs with a plastic pry tool. Then I just pushed the new one in. Pretty easy install. They are not too expensive.

Did you get it done?

Hey Explorer gang...I'm going in.
I have the clip tool...
I have replaceable clips....(yeah!)
2 sided 3m tape (backup)
3m chrome blackout tape...
It's going down next week...first I need to do the tailgate chrome trim.

Any updates on how it went AJFOCUS? Thanks in advance!

You could probably paint it in place. Just mask off everything else.

Vinyl might work too but may be tricky around the lettering.

You could probably paint it in place. Just mask off everything else.

Vinyl might work too but may be tricky around the lettering.
EXACTLY!!
Vinyl suck around the lettering, and removing the panels we're not a viable option......clips be dammed. So for me masking and plastidipping with a top layer of matte paint is where it's at......Sorry been gone and alot has been happening in my world.....Keeping me from playing with the Truck!

I just replaced one of mine. I turned in to a rock and ripped it off. I just had to pop out all the broken tabs with a plastic pry tool. Then I just pushed the new one in. Pretty easy install. They are not too expensive.

Did you get it done?
hey, do you mind sharing the part number for those clips? thanks

Here are some images of the panels off. Once you know how they are attached it's fairly easy. Here is a link to the clips you will need also. Ford Fender & Rocker Moulding Clip With Sealer
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for the info. I'm sure some members may find it helpful. Unfortunately, the member you replied to was last seen here on October 11, 2017, so likely isn't around any longer.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for the info. I'm sure some members may find it helpful. Unfortunately, the member you replied to was last seen here on October 11, 2017, so likely isn't around any longer.

Peter
It helps some, assuming that will also work on a 5th gen. It also helped from your #2 post above to track down the factory Sport blacked out ones If I break the chrome ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back