'98 Mountaineer HID issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Mountaineer HID issue

Hi All,

I ordered an HID kit for my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer off of eBay (which may not have been the smartest thing in the world), I received the kit today and spent two hours installing it only to find that it was stuck in high beam mode and that the high beam light was constantly on, so I uninstalled the whole kit and replaced the original halogen bulbs.
Another interesting thing was that the fog lights were also on with the high beams, usually they go off. The high beam light was on on the dash and when I pulled back on the handle the light on the dash got brighter but nothing happened with the headlights.
Any hints on what might be causing this and how to fix it?
The kit is a 9007 bi-xenon, 6000k brightness.

In addition to my bulb issue, my headlights have an issue with condensation and I was wondering if you might have a solution to that. I was told to pull the light out and test it in water for leaks then to seal up whatever holes there were, but I can't figure out how to pull out the light assembly to save my life. Any idea on the Mountaineer? It seems easy on the Explorer, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. I' m posting this on my iPad, so I appoligize for any errors.
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you sure you wired the pins correctly? If you wire the pins wrong you could have had it either set as hi being low, and low being hi, or I've even had it permanently stuck in hi with he pins wired wrong.

I had the same problem when I put my kit in and wired the 9007 plug wrong, the Hi beam light was dimly lit, and when I flicked it to Hi beam it got brighter

If it came prewired, perhaps its setup for a 9004 bulb and you will have to swap it

are you sure you wired the pins correctly? If you wire the pins wrong you could have had it either set as hi being low, and low being hi, or I've even had it permanently stuck in hi with he pins wired wrong.

I had the same problem when I put my kit in and wired the 9007 plug wrong, the Hi beam light was dimly lit, and when I flicked it to Hi beam it got brighter

If it came prewired, perhaps its setup for a 9004 bulb and you will have to swap it

Yeah, that is what happenend to me. The lights were permantely stuck on high beam and the light on the dash is dimly lit. The box for the bulbs say "9007H/L," I will inspect the wire harness later today and see if i can figure anything out. i will also post a picture of the wiring diagram he sent me.#

Thanks!

Many of those hi/lo beam lights are made for 9004 bulbs which have different connectors than do the 9007. Usually the directions that come with the kit spell this out.

Attachments

• 9004vs9007bulb.jpg
    9004vs9007bulb.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,474

Many of those hi/lo beam lights are made for 9004 bulbs which have different connectors than do the 9007. Usually the directions that come with the kit spell this out.

Thanks! I am confused mainly because the wires on the harness are red, white, and blue. (see attached below). I have also attached the wiring diagram that the seller sent me.

Install_9007HL.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

In case you notice the damage on the blue cord. I attempted to remove the pin, obviously in the wrong way... I plan to wrap that with electrical tape as well as the rest of the harness once installed in the car for protection.

I switched the two wires and still had the same result.

the only thing i could suggest is maybe hook a volt meter up to it, figure out for sure what is low +, high +, and neg, then pin it as its supposed to be... If it still doesn't work, then something is wrong with the control box on the harness

the only thing i could suggest is maybe hook a volt meter up to it, figure out for sure what is low +, high +, and neg, then pin it as its supposed to be... If it still doesn't work, then something is wrong with the control box on the harness

I know that the pins are now correct, confirmed by the kit seller. I told him about the issue and that I believe that the kit is defective, so we'll see!

I know that the pins are now correct, confirmed by the kit seller. I told him about the issue and that I believe that the kit is defective, so we'll see!

hopefully he warranties it, if not, i think ddm might (might) sell harnesses separate

hopefully he warranties it, if not, i think ddm might (might) sell harnesses separate

He may or may not considering the fact that I soldered the wires, though he did say that it was okay. "You can solder the pin/wires but please solder it well as the ballast behaves liked a "transformer" at high voltage."

I tested when I flipped the two wires with only one ballast/bulb and low/high beam worked just fine. Then when I hooked up the other ballast/bulb it just went back to doing the exact same thing.

I know that with my 97 mounty with retrofit Morimoto Mini H1 HIDs, I needed the Motocontrol unit to control the high/low signals without having to run extra relays or tap into any extra wires or any of that crap. You might want to look into the Motocontrol. Basically, you run power and ground to it and plug it into the factory headlight bulb socket. Then your ballasts and high/low input (the mini H1 moves the reflector, my old motorcycle moved the bulb itself) plug into the Motocontrol. I still had to flip wires with it, but its so much easier.

Back