new JLT Oil Separator | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new JLT Oil Separator

Actually, the long run is perfect. Gives the oil a chance to condense out - works like a charm. Absolutely no issues, and there is definitely more oil collecting in the tank now.

Am planning to install this same tank in my Explorer. Was looking at mounting it up near the air box, but have to put more thought in to it. May just have to settle on the strut tower area on the passenger side. In any case, I have to see my local Ford parts guys so I can score the PCV fittings for the lines, and will go from there.

Good to know, I have considered the JLT OCC also. I met you a year or so ago and bought a thermostat for my 03 SB Cobra and admired your XSport. Finally got one of my own. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear from you, Jason. Still selling the thermostats, and have been meaning to advertise here and save ecoBoost owners some coin, but haven't gotten around to it. This might be a good reminder!

Hopefully I'll get moving on the new catch can soon and can post pictures, but I will say that on my Cobra it has been much more effective than the JLT tank (they are on the small side). The new location might have something to do with it, but the one I have is a better design in my opinion. As for breathers, I have always stayed away from them.

Glad you are enjoying the Explorer Sport - it's a nice ride for sure.

Bringing this back up again since I had still been mulling around the idea of adding the same oil separator on the Explorer as I have on my Cobra. From a bit of research, it turns out Ford installs an oil separator on the engine already. I'm not sure if its effectiveness is going to negate the need for an add-on version, but there is a filter unit of some sorts already on the RH valve cover.

Here's the engine. The Ford separator can be seen on top with the PCV valve and line coming out of it:

29yjuxi.jpg

The actual separator (with PCV valve), Ford p/n AA5Z-6A785-F:

ncjg2a.jpg

The RH valve cover:

4qk2sy.jpg

Two of the holes on the top (toward the left of the photo) are where the separator plugs in. If my local dealer has a separator on the shelf, they'd probably let me check it out, otherwise I may pop mine off when the weather warms up just to see how it functions. Definitely curious, though.

Unlike the supercharged Cobra, there is no intercooler beneath the intake that can get coated in oil, so that is good. Aside from the obvious slight reduction in octane with oil being drawn in, it may just not be that big of an issue here if what's there works well enough. Ford may have already done their homework with this engine when it comes to really minimizing the amount of oil being sucked back in to the intake. Food for thought!

Bringing this back up again since I had still been mulling around the idea of adding the same oil separator on the Explorer as I have on my Cobra. From a bit of research, it turns out Ford installs an oil separator on the engine already. I'm not sure if its effectiveness is going to negate the need for an add-on version, but there is a filter unit of some sorts already on the RH valve cover.

Here's the engine. The Ford separator can be seen on top with the PCV valve and line coming out of it:

ford-ecoboost-engine-09_zpsutnuicge.jpg

AA5Z-6A785-F_zpsprf1ahly.jpg

The RH valve cover:

AA5Z-6582-E_zpsjm98eind.jpg

Two of the holes on the top (toward the left of the photo) are where the separator plugs in. If my local dealer has a separator on the shelf, they'd probably let me check it out, otherwise I may pop mine off when the weather warms up just to see how it functions. Definitely curious, though.

Unlike the supercharged Cobra, there is no intercooler beneath the intake that can get coated in oil, so that is good. Aside from the obvious slight reduction in octane with oil being drawn in, it may just not be that big of an issue here if what's there works well enough. Ford may have already done their homework with this engine when it comes to really minimizing the amount of oil being sucked back in to the intake. Food for thought!

Good find, now I'm going to have to look back there again.

ford-ecoboost-engine-09_zpsutnuicge.jpg

AA5Z-6A785-F_zpsprf1ahly.jpg

The RH valve cover:

AA5Z-6582-E_zpsjm98eind.jpg

Great post. What separater do you run on your Cobra? I don't have one installed at the moment but might be a good/easy winter project.

Great post. What separater do you run on your Cobra? I don't have one installed at the moment but might be a good/easy winter project.

The details are up there in Post #57 Jason, but here's a pic of the one I just bought for my Explorer (same, but just all aluminum this time):

attachment.jpg

On the Cobra, it works very well, especially since the vapor has to make a 180° turn which slings the oil out nicely. If I figure the OE "separator" works well enough on the Sport, I may not bother adding this. If you need a nice one that is real inexpensive, let me know!

Hi Guys, my first post here! I just installed the JLT 3.0 oil separator and the mounting is now drill free. The kit came with a bracket to attach it to the air conditioner line bracket which is attached to the left strut tower. It's a 13mm bolt. Take it off, line the bracket up with the hole and put the bolt back. I had to bend the bracket on installed to get it clear everything else. In addition I had to loosen the ground line (8mm bolt) on the factory bracket and rotate the wire a few mm to clear the JLT bracket.

Everything else looked the same. The catch can is now holds 3 ounces of waste oil. Took about 15 minutes in working by flashlight to install!

I was a fan of JLT from great experiences with their previous model of this catch can. Unfortunately, the new model is not as stellar. It also does not fit on 2014 Ford Explorer Sport models (details below).

I recently purchased this product directly from JLTtruecoldair.com, and, I do not recommend this product. Firstly, it does not fit the 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with 3.5L EcoBoost. The tubes are too long if installed per instructions that were included, and no other way to get it to fit without bending other critical engine piping. Secondly, it has cheap connectors where connecting to both the PCV valve and the intake manifold. The previous JLT separator model had better connectors (I know because I have that previous model from Stage3MotorSports.com and I had to revert back to that model). Thirdly, the one that I received directly from the manufacturer had many slivers of plastic shavings inside the can's ports which could have ended up in the intake valves if it did fit. Overall I am very disappointed in JLT for selling me this expensive item that has an unacceptably low level of material quality and workmanship. The previous model was a great product and should be brought back!

Welcome to the Forum jbfe.:wave:
According to post 65 there already is an OEM separator on the vehicle. Can't verify that though as I don't use them myself other than the OEM if there is one.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum jbfe.:wave:
According to post 65 there already is an OEM separator on the vehicle. Can't verify that though as I don't use them myself other than the OEM if there is one.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the warm welcome!! :)

And thanks for pointing that out! I've read about those OEM separators on the EcoBoosts. They are not demonstrating to be effective enough with the boosted engines. The catch-can concept is to catch most of the oil and cc air/oil/byproduct by cooling it with condensation from thermal exchange at a cooler device at a distance from the engine. I feel like the OEM separators (in your mention above) are glorified breather filters. While they do come with a suedo-separator, the catch-can does actually catch a significant amount of oil with ordinary (male) driving, and, it's catching even more frothy gunk on colder days. I have been using the previous JLT catch-can / separator for a couple of years. It has been pleasantly effective and I do not see any oil residue on the manifold (vacuum) side of the pcv connection. The chrome exhaust tips remain shiny even with direct injection. That was an unexpected plus (but may also have to do with 93 octane use and other mods). I think real OEM catch cans are typically reserved for use on higher end gasoline boosted autos that require routine service from the manufacturer only. I think most manufacturers don't want to deal with marketing that requires telling owners to regularly and religiously maintain the can's contents.

These are just my recollections from readings and personal observations. The separator/catch-can debates are enlightening and fun to ponder... Even more fun to actually see one working.

-jbfe

I had a chance today to look under the hood, more specifically at the back valve cover and did not see the stock separator.
Looking on Ford parts website, there's also no mention of a separator.

I'm thinking the above picture is an EB for the F series and not the Explorer.

I had a chance today to look under the hood, more specifically at the back valve cover and did not see the stock separator.
Looking on Ford parts website, there's also no mention of a separator.

I'm thinking the above picture is an EB for the F series and not the Explorer.

Go to the previous pages - it can be seen on both. The part number also crosses to the Explorer Sport, although for only '15 and earlier from what I recall (didn't realize that until looking the part number up after). Will eventually take mine off and check it out, but most likely not until spring.

EDIT: Ford definitely left it off in '16 for whatever reason. Interesting.

Screen shots from Tasca, '15 and earlier (No.9, but the list is cut off on the bottom):

2v3qb0i.jpg

For '16 and up, definitely not there, but the PCV valve is the same (shown here as No.9):

2ujkvg5.jpg

I looked and nothing resembling that particular separator was found on the back valve cover.

Just ordered one, my first mod! The JLT catch cans worked as advertised on my Mustang so I know what to expect.

Just ordered one, my first mod! The JLT catch cans worked as advertised on my Mustang so I know what to expect.
Welcome to the Forum Alex, and Happy New Year.:wave:

Peter

How is your JLT 3.0 separator working? I bought one for my 2014 SHO straight via their web site. I noticed a lot of fuel vapors in my engine compartment and HVAC system. I thought it was leaking, so I did a leak test and found nothing. But I was always curious why they used Air Brake Hose with pin holes for fuel vapors, until I found out that Thermoid Air Brake Hose uses those pin holes to let moisture seep out.

I'm curious how your 3.0 is working out. Do you smell any vapors? My sniffer is very sensitive and I am 110% sure the fuel vapors are seeping through the pores of the hoses. I have taken off the separator for now until I hear back from JLT.

How is your JLT 3.0 separator working? I bought one for my 2014 SHO straight via their web site. I noticed a lot of fuel vapors in my engine compartment and HVAC system. I thought it was leaking, so I did a leak test and found nothing. But I was always curious why they used Air Brake Hose with pin holes for fuel vapors, until I found out that Thermoid Air Brake Hose uses those pin holes to let moisture seep out.

I'm curious how your 3.0 is working out. Do you smell any vapors? My sniffer is very sensitive and I am 110% sure the fuel vapors are seeping through the pores of the hoses. I have taken off the separator for now until I hear back from JLT.

This may explain why I suddenly started noticing some fuel smell in the cabin after getting in after remote start + run for a few minutes. It doesn't seem to smell after that but I definitely get one under those circumstances. Seems to have started right about the time I installed the JLT 3.0, which otherwise went smoothly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found out JLT uses Thermoid Air Brake Hoses that meet SAE J1402A, which is OK for environmental oil/water resistance but it is not rated to carry PCV vapors, fuel, or oil. I contacted Thermoid, and they advised against using their air brake hose for PCV systems. They recommended SAE 30R6 or 30R7 (fuel/PCV hose) instead.

Gas residue was seeping out of the pores of the air brake hose, so I swapped them out for Gates PCV hose and it solved the problem but JLT insisted that the air brake hose was fine and that I was the only one that had issues.

Back