Adding Switches | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Switches

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the brand is DURABILT, I also tried to find out more about it before buying it but nothing came up, not even on autozone web site, try another autozone location.

vp6799 Thanks for the link.

That thing is garbage. If youre hooking up any emergency equipment, dont even consider it! Itll constantly blow and eventually stop working altogether

That thing is garbage. If youre hooking up any emergency equipment, dont even consider it! Itll constantly blow and eventually stop working altogether

Total ampacity load for this is only 20 amps not a lot, the trick is to use it to control an external heavy duty relay, that's how I set it up and its been working fine for about 5 months.

Random Questions

I didn't find anything on this during a search, and on other forums I've found it quite useful.

This is intended for questions that you may have but aren't really new thread worthy, or perhaps you think are too "stupid" to ask.

I'll go first!

There are a series of 3 buttons well 2 and a blank... One for Lift Gate, Tow, and then blank just under the headlight knob. Does anyone know where I can get a button for that blank? I'm very strongly considering an LED light bar in the grill under the license plate and I'd like a nice OEM switch for it if possible.

Thanks!

That's what I'm talking about, looks like that blank is typically for Traction Control... I figured each switch would be independent but it looks like it may be sold as a single unit...

Thanks for the link!
I've actually found that there are several configurations for this switch based on options however there doesn't seem to be a module that uses all 3 switches in 5th gen explorer. I could still mount a toggle switch there in that blank but a re-purposed factory button definitely would have been preferred.

That's what I'm talking about, looks like that blank is typically for Traction Control... I figured each switch would be independent but it looks like it may be sold as a single unit...

Thanks for the link!
I've actually found that there are several configurations for this switch based on options however there doesn't seem to be a module that uses all 3 switches in 5th gen explorer. I could still mount a toggle switch there in that blank but a re-purposed factory button definitely would have been preferred.
That blank would be occupied for the "Park Assist" system. I believe traction control is governed by the left information screen.

Peter

If anyone still looking into adding auxiliary switches, I found the perfect solution, is a tactile flat switch, it can be mounted almost anywhere, it has four outputs, I mounted the control box under the center console, currently I am using only one output for my light bar, check it out.

20151231_124934_zps0at1id4k.jpg

20151231_125148_zpsneqvfiuq.jpg

i would like to know what size light, brand, and mounting brackets were used. that is an amazing setup and spot for a light bar. any info would help me thank you

I use 3m double side tape no brackets, after a few monts I decided to remove it and it was holding so good it was hard to remove it, I think the size is 1" x 19".

Light bar switch?

Looking for part number for switch. I want to get the switch that fits into the bank by the tow haul button. So i dont have this ugly rocker switch sitting on my dash.

Light bar switch?

Looking for part number for switch. I want to get the switch that fits into the bank by the tow haul button. So i dont have this ugly rocker switch sitting on my dash.
Your thread has been merged with this one.

If anyone still looking into adding auxiliary switches, I found the perfect solution, is a tactile flat switch, it can be mounted almost anywhere, it has four outputs, I mounted the control box under the center console, currently I am using only one output for my light bar, check it out.

20151231_124934_zps0at1id4k.jpg

20151231_125148_zpsneqvfiuq.jpg
Kuko what headlight/fog bulbs are you running? Great color!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back