Help!! 2016 Explorer Transmission Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! 2016 Explorer Transmission Issue

Chrissirov

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Driving from Calgary to Vancouver and stopped in Banff for the night. Just before I got here going up a modest hill at about 40mph the tranny made a loud clunk and felt like I lost power for about 5 seconds. RPM dropped down to pretty much nothing. When I parked I could smell something burning but that went away quickly. There is no check engine light on anywhere. I checked the tranny fluid and all is well. I have to drive 800km tomorrow up and down some aggressive mountains in snow. Any other thoughts on what it could be? I just took it for a spin and all seems fine but I don't want to be in the middle of no where and break down. Help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not nearly enough info to be of any help. Might be worthwhile to try to do a scan to see if any codes were set. Assume most everything is closed today including dealers. Good luck

No wrench light, either, during the original event?

How did you check the tranny fluid on a vehicle with no transmission dipstick?

How did you check the tranny fluid on a vehicle with no transmission dipstick?
See page 286/287 in your Manual where it makes reference to checking the fluid level.

Peter

We had similar issue driving in mountains with our 2013. Colmplete failure until vehicle was towed 50 miles. After being dropped from wrecker all was well and no codes. Drove from Loveland Colorado Topeka KS that day. 30k later the tranny needed a complete rebuild. Make sure you get a repair in warranry because Ford does not consider the implication that the transmission should last longer than the tires. GO Michilen

We had similar issue driving in mountains with our 2013. Colmplete failure until vehicle was towed 50 miles. After being dropped from wrecker all was well and no codes. Drove from Loveland Colorado Topeka KS that day. 30k later the tranny needed a complete rebuild. Make sure you get a repair in warranry because Ford does not consider the implication that the transmission should last longer than the tires. GO Michilen
Jeff, I realize that you are upset since this is the 4th such post of yours I've come across this morning, but I don't know if you can blame Ford. If the initial failure was as you say a "complete failure" then there would be no way that you would be able to simply drive off with the vehicle a while later without anything being done to fix it. It then failed and required a new or rebuilt transmission at 80k or 89k (see my post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...i-get-the-explorer.452210/page-3#post-3594274 ). You are tying the two incidents together and from what I've read, there is nothing to say the first failure was actually due to the transmission. These vehicles have many electronic features that control a variety of items. What's to say that failure wasn't caused by another issue? After all you said that you drove it another 30k without transmission problems. While one would expect the transmission to last longer that 80 or 90k, it is a mechanical item and as such is prone to fail at some time. Some earlier and some later. Everyone has the option to purchase an ESP and usually it comes down to, should I or shouldn't I.

Jeff, I realize that you are upset since this is the 4th such post of yours I've come across this morning, but I don't know if you can blame Ford. If the initial failure was as you say a "complete failure" then there would be no way that you would be able to simply drive off with the vehicle a while later without anything being done to fix it. It then failed and required a new or rebuilt transmission at 80k or 89k (see my post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...i-get-the-explorer.452210/page-3#post-3594274 ). You are tying the two incidents together and from what I've read, there is nothing to say the first failure was actually due to the transmission. These vehicles have many electronic features that control a variety of items. What's to say that failure wasn't caused by another issue? After all you said that you drove it another 30k without transmission problems. While one would expect the transmission to last longer that 80 or 90k, it is a mechanical item and as such is prone to fail at some time. Some earlier and some later. Everyone has the option to purchase an ESP and usually it comes down to, should I or shouldn't I.

Notice that all but 1 of his 10 posts(so far) have said something about the transmission failing. the other 1 post was still part of the transmission issue and something about loyalty.

Notice that all but 1 of his 10 posts(so far) have said something about the transmission failing. the other 1 post was still part of the transmission issue and something about loyalty.[/QUOTE
When the car will not move under it's on power. I consider that a complete failure. If you think differently please explain.
I don't blame Ford for the failure but also don't blame lunar eclipses or you. My issue is that Ford doesn't see fit to offer any assistance to an owner beyond the specifics of the written warranty. In addition I would share that it took the local dealer two days to determine that the transmission needed rebuilt and FOMOCO two more days to decide that it was nothing they would help with. In my expectation the transmission should last longer than the tires and it is worth reminding people that they should expect only what is on the piece of paper. I also expected better service. This expectation is unreasonable based on the service I received at the local repair facility I choose. I also did not say the next 30k was without issue. There were several incidents where the vehicle stuttered when stopping. I did not report those to Ford as they alone we very minor compared to being on vacation in a car that is in warranty and will not move at all. I also understand that there are electronic solenoid and whatever else in there that could fail intermittently.. I don't need a moderator to explain a transmission to me. If I am not following the rules for the forum please clarify that. It appears that is your documented expertise

I'm not sure how you put your post together Jeff. You quoted one member but appear to be replying to me.
I don't know why the vehicle would not move. It could have been something other that the transmission since you were able to drive off later without any repairs to it. There have been instances reported here where Ford has covered items/expenses beyond that specified warranty period. That is their decision to make. Perhaps if something had been found during the initial in warranty visit they may have done something for you but I don't think Ford can be expected to make these exceptions every time an out of warranty repair is made otherwise why have an Extended Warranty available. Also, when I post here, it is as a regular Forum member, the same as any other member. Forum Terms and Rules are available for all to read and should be done upon joining the Forum.

Peter

No matter how you slice and dice this thread, a transmission should last A LOT longer than 80,000 to 90,000 miles and be essentially trouble free.

No matter how you slice and dice this thread, a transmission should last A LOT longer than 80,000 to 90,000 miles and be essentially trouble free.
I don't think you'll have anyone disagree with you on that but like the majority of electrical or mechanical items, nothing is 100%.

I don't think you'll have anyone disagree with you on that but like the majority of electrical or mechanical items, nothing is 100%.

I don't disagree with you that no electrical or mechanical item is 100% trouble free. With said it's all about statistics and if you take for instance, Toyota/Lexus transmissions and compare them with Ford/Lincoln transmissions, I would be willing to bet that statistically Toyota/Lexus transmissions are far more reliable and trouble free than Ford/Lincoln transmissions. I'm also not pulling this example out of the thin air, I have owned and/or do own both types vehicle brands in this example.

I think the first guy must have run over a moose or something, that would explain all the noises and loss of power and burning smell since they havent bothered checking back since posting. Welcome to the forum!!:D

Back