Should I get the Explorer? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I get the Explorer?

Go 17....
I'd love to but it's more of a budget thing for us. Can't really go over 40k. Still yet, why is the 17 a must for you?[/QUOTE]
I just don't really like to buy used, i have but really don't like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd love to but it's more of a budget thing for us. Can't really go over 40k. Still yet, why is the 17 a must for you?
I just don't really like to buy used, i have but really don't like it.[/QUOTE]

I get that. For example, called the dealership here that had a 2016 black sport for 36,500 with only 17k miles.....Told them I was ready to make a deal...they tell me that I can come in tomorrow morning because an employee took it and has it for the day to run errands........things like that are annoying.

Any interior pics of your second row? How much extra did it cost to get the second row bucket seats? We have forward facing car seat but my son LOVEs to sit in very back so I feel like the bench seating would be great. I found a 2016 black pre-owned limited one here with 15k miles for under 35 but I'm still weighing springing for the 17

Here's some pics of my 2nd row bench of my '17 Sport interior and one pic of the 3rd row. Btw, while I may have opted for bucket seats for adjustable reasons, I don't mind having the bench after all. It does give me more passenger capabity, and the kid could sleep along the bench during a ferry ride. I rarely use the 3rd row. Mostly for work lunches.

ZiCQ0w.jpg

Dl8Fqj.jpg

QYtGVO.jpg

189hJ3.jpg

N0s5qx.jpg

I'd strongly recommend shopping for an extended warranty.

We bought the 2013 XLT Eco Boost new in 2013. At 48,000 miles transmission suddenly stopped working until it was towed from Estes Park CO to Loveland where we spent most of one day of vacation at the Ford Dealer there. We got there when they opened and just before they closed for the day they went to the parking lot drove it in the shop and found no errors in PCM and that the car drove fine. We drove it back to Topeka that day and went another 30,000 miles to suddenly have a catastrophic failure and need a complete rebuilt transmission and torque converter. Ford did not help and instead provided a lot of slip and slide that wasted another couple hours where I hoped they might help with the repair cost.

Turns out if you don't buy several Fords, possibly from the same dealer, there is no implied warranty. At least until you have your attorney write a letter, I'll get back on how that goes.

Hi, I am in the market of a new vehicle. Looking for a used SUV (have dogs and go hiking and stuff) in the 20-30k range, so probably a 2013 or 2014.

I really like how the explorer looks compared with the competition (reminds me of the rugged outdoors like a jeep or range rover) but was worried its reliability. A lot of car magazines and jd power rated it a little lower but with no clear reasons as to why. Car complaints has some hood paint bubbling issues for a 2013 but thats about it. What are the common problems you guys experience? Do you guys regret buying the explorer and wished to have gone with something else?

A backup camera and leather seats are my basic requirements so definitely the limited model and above. Here are some I am looking at...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2014-Ford-Explorer-c23972#listing=151249505
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2014-Ford-Explorer-c23972#listing=124123903

Let me know your thoughts! Looking to buy something hopefully by next week! It will be my daily driver as well. I know this is a ford forum so please try not to be too biased :)

Thanks!
Ours needed a new transmission at 89k. Ford did. Toning to help even after having reported an issue at 50k.
My family and I just relocated to Seattle and finally decided to get rid of our 05 Toyota Corolla in favor of more space and AWD. We've got a 15' Civic and I'm 6'3" and looking forward to having the option for a bigger vehicle. We've got 2 kids and my wife will drive it a lot as well so we've been considering CX 9, Highlander and Santa Fe. I was targeting an XLT but have seen some decent deals on a couple used Limited Models (2016 with about 15k miles) and to be frank I think the Sorento and Santa Fe's look like minivans and I loved the SUV feel of the Explorer when I drove it. I am however concerned that I've seen some bad reviews and consistent complaining about issues with the Explorer in the first 50k miles on various sites like consumer report and others. Looking for others to weigh in here and share your thoughts.
Trasnsmission completely failed at 80k

Ours needed a new transmission at 89k. Ford did. Toning to help even after having reported an issue at 50k.

Transmission completely failed at 80k
I'm not sure if I'm following the timeline here. You say the transmission failed completely at 80k at which time they rebuilt it. Then you had a new transmission installed at 89k just 9k later. Is that right? Was there no warranty on the rebuild?

Peter

Back