• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.0L Cold start issues

JCark01

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
When it's below below freezing outside my explorer has trouble starting and initial rough idle. When I scan for trouble codes I get P0302 which is a misfire on cylinder 2 and a P0316 which is engine misfire detected on startup. Once it's been running for about 30 seconds to a minute the rough idle goes away and everything works fine. My mechanic compression tested each cylinder and it came back above 150 PSI for each cylinder. I checked the IAT and ECT sensors live data (with torque OBD-II app)and they seem to be working properly. Any ideas what would cause this? I already did new plugs, wires and a coil pack. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if you need for info.

Can anyone help?

Fuel injector leaking or sticking?

My explorer is doing the same exact thing! I have a p0306 and a p0316.
new dorman intake manifold, new motorcraft plugs, new cop boots.
I have moved the cops and fuel injectors around but the misfire stays in cylinder 6.
Compression for 1-4 is 190psi, 5-8 170psi. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the brake booster vacuum line, upon cold start up gauge starts at 180inhg then immedietely drops to 140inhg for around 4-6 seconds then climbs back to 180inhg and steadily stays there as it should. this only happens during a cold start or after the engine being off for around 30 min. I could post a video of the vacuum gauge but I don't know how.

Back