Explorer Towing Capacity | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Towing Capacity

As for the weight distributing hitch - you mean they only suggest it for towing the absolute maximum? (Which would be handy 'cause none of my trailers currently have that feature, but all weigh well under 5k lbs)

In general a weight distributing hitch(WDH) is encouraged when the weight of what you are towing is over half of your vehicle weight and a tongue weight that causes your vehicle to sag in the back when hitched up. In cases of a 3500lb boat the tongue weight is very small, most of the weight is distributed over the axles and towards the rear of the trailer. A WDH basically distributes the weight evenly over all axles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for that helpful info.

I'm looking online at used 2013+ Explorers. Vehicles that claim to have the two package have no hitch visible in rear end photos. Is it hidden under that plastic cover in the center of the bumper?

As for the weight distributing hitch - you mean they only suggest it for towing the absolute maximum? (Which would be handy 'cause none of my trailers currently have that feature, but all weigh well under 5k lbs)
I was going to send you this in a PM (private message) but you have not enabled that in your profile. To get a good look at the hitch with the cover removed, check out this post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3523845&postcount=270

Peter

Ford is excellent at publishing towing guides. Pull one up for your year and it will tell you when it's appropriate to use a WDH. Sometimes there is also a little placard near the hitch receiver opening that will also give the max ratings with and without WD. I believe the cutoff is 2000lbs IIRC.

Ford is excellent at publishing towing guides. Pull one up for your year and it will tell you when it's appropriate to use a WDH. Sometimes there is also a little placard near the hitch receiver opening that will also give the max ratings with and without WD. I believe the cutoff is 2000lbs IIRC.

Do you have a link to find these guides?

Thanks!

Edit: Never mind.. i found it. http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Howdy,

I'm a bit unclear on towing capacity for 2011 to 2014 Explorers. If I go to the official Ford info - for example here for 2012:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/12FLRVTT_ExplorerJul1.pdf

it says I can tow up to 5,000 lbs with the factory tow package - BUT - only if I add a weight distribution hitch. Or 2,000 lbs without.

Question is, at what weight does the weight-distribution hitch become mandatory? 2,001lbs? 4,999 lbs?

OK - secondary question - how is that, by comparison, a simple GMC Acadia can boast towing of 5,200 lbs with no mention of needing a special hitch? Same for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Ah, they deep mysteries of life.

Jeep is body on frame, not uni body which allows for more capacity. Can't speak for the Acadia.

Generally rule of thumb in the towing world, if it has brakes, you should use a WDH. Seems like you are questioning why Ford is telling you to tow safely... there are no negatives to a WDH except upfront cost of it.

And yes, 2,001lbs

Pretty much every vehicle out there has a pretty low limit when used without a weight distributing hitch, tongue weight comes in play. Towing anything heavier without a WD hitch would be a miserable experience with your Explorer anyways.

Jeep is body on frame, not uni body which allows for more capacity. Can't speak for the Acadia.

Generally rule of thumb in the towing world, if it has brakes, you should use a WDH. Seems like you are questioning why Ford is telling you to tow safely... there are no negatives to a WDH except upfront cost of it.

And yes, 2,001lbs
From Edmunds review;
"Unlike most other traditional SUVs, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been built using a carlike unibody platform for superior on-road handling. Yet Jeep's strong reputation for off-road prowess is retained, thanks to the Grand Cherokee's advanced four-wheel-drive systems and capable suspension. It's a rare combination of attributes in a modern utility vehicle, as the Jeep is able to venture farther off the beaten path than competing crossover SUVs."
https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/

Peter

Howdy,

I'm a bit unclear on towing capacity for 2011 to 2014 Explorers. If I go to the official Ford info - for example here for 2012:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/12FLRVTT_ExplorerJul1.pdf

it says I can tow up to 5,000 lbs with the factory tow package - BUT - only if I add a weight distribution hitch. Or 2,000 lbs without.

Question is, at what weight does the weight-distribution hitch become mandatory? 2,001lbs? 4,999 lbs?

OK - secondary question - how is that, by comparison, a simple GMC Acadia can boast towing of 5,200 lbs with no mention of needing a special hitch? Same for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Ah, they deep mysteries of life.
From reading your post I'd say anything in excess of 2000 lbs would require the Weight Distribution Hitch. So to answer your question, 2001 lbs.

Peter

And yes, 2,001lbs

OK, that's one important thing made clear. Thank you.

Nope - Grand Cherokee has been unibody for years. Acadia is unibody also.

Chevy Traverse - mid-sized unibody SUV: 5,000 lbs, no weight-drstributing hitch requirement.
GMC Equinox - a small mid-sized SUV, unibody: 3,500 lbs towing, no weight-drstributing hitch requirement

Seems like you are questioning why Ford is telling you to tow safely... there are no negatives to a WDH except upfront cost of it.

I'm questioning why many other similar vehicles manufacturers say you can tow these kinds of loads safely without the special hitch, but the on the Explorer it's a requirement. Is there really something different about the Explorer? Or is Ford just more cautious?

Wow, I swear there were many discussions about grand Cherokee being body on frame.. learn something new.

I think it is a cover your butt type thing. There isn't this magic light switch that says at 2,001lbs it makes the vehicle unsafe, just a general safety rule IMO.

I would never pull a 4,500lb camper with any vehicle without a WDH.. would Ingot 2,500, probably. 2 place snowmobile trailer, couple snowmobiles and gear.. I've done it.

But as I said, if it has brakes, it is heavy enough that a WDH should be used (general rule, not always followed).

Hello!

My wife is about to upgrade from a 2013 Edge to a 2015 Explorer Sport.

She has been wanting something that she could at least tow a small trailer or maybe a Seadoo so we decided to go with the Explorer Sport model.

We have a 2001 210 Sea Ray which I pull with my 2013 F150 3.5L EcoBoost no problem.

Wife asked if she could pull this boat with her new Explorer so I looked up the weight... rated at 3,400 lbs.

Do you think it would be possible (But maybe not ideal) to pull the boat and trailer with her Explorer?

I've never used a Weight Distribution Hitch but I did see them mentioned several times above.

Also if anyone does this could you provide pictures of your setup with the boat attached for example?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Splattered23.:wave:
If the Explorer has the factory installed class III tow package then it should have no problems towing your boat. Ford recommends a weight distribution hitch (WDH) be used for towing anything in excess of 2000 lbs. The towing capacity is 5000 lbs. with the factory hitch.

Peter

Sorry slightly confused then... I can tow the boat with the factory hitch or I need the WDH to safely tow the boat? I may just be tired but I kind of read your reply both ways... haha

Sorry slightly confused then... I can tow the boat with the factory hitch or I need the WDH to safely tow the boat? I may just be tired but I kind of read your reply both ways... haha

You probably need a WDH

You probably need a WDH
Generally, not for a boat trailer. Most boat trailers have surge brakes, actuated by the coupler on the tongue compressing the cylinder. A WDH runs the risk of impeding brake function, by binding the coupler.

Some WDH setups indicate they will work with surge brakes, some do not. The manufacturer of my boat trailer (Venture) prohibits their use.

I tow a 5,500 lb. center console with my Touareg. No WDH is needed. The weight on a boat trailer is generally not on the tongue, it is balanced further aft, especially if tandem axle.

For 3,400 lbs, it’s unnecessary.

I was thinking of buying a travel trailer with the GVRW of 3600-3800 lbs. More specifically a2017 Coachmen Viking 17BH.

Would a 2012 explorer with the tow package and a family of four be able to handle the load?

Hello everyone,
I just become the owner of the 2018 Ford Explorer with a 2.3l engine. I shipped it to Europe and I am going to register it, however for registration they asked me for some proof of maximum towing capacity - either as some stamped plate on chassis or a separate document. Do you know what should I do?

There should be a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. Same sticker that shows the proper tire inflation values.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi jade97, I checked this sticker, but I don't see maximum towing weight.

Back