Odd engine power RPM surge problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd engine power RPM surge problem

SurrealOne

Reaction score
City, State
OC Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
So I have a 2014 ex sport with Livernois 160 thermostat and 3bar map sensor 91 oct perf tune. All was good with power when I push the gas peddle down power band was great engine would down shift and go like normal. But lately when I push the gas peddle to floor the engine downshifts turbo's spin up but the power as the RPS rev up start to surge. And it seems to get stuck in the lower gear. It's not the same put you back in your seat power that it was like before. The only thing that's changed is my odometer I just passed 50K miles.
I have no idea where to start looking for the problem?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've experienced the same problem. You put the throttle to the floor and it just doesn't want to go with any urgency.
It hasn't happened for a couple of months on my 2014 Sport (72k miles, 32k miles w/a tune), so I'm not sure if it's a temperature related problem (Summer vs Winter) or something else.
I found using the paddle to up-shift gets it to start moving a little quicker.

I have had that problem i think it just the way these are they get overloaded and freak out for a second i believe you can have the shift points adjusted in your tuning if it becomes a persistent problem

What Version Tune are you running? How many miles are on your plugs?

I've got an Unleashed Tuning 93 octane tune w/a 3 Bar MAP sensor, 170 deg Thermostat, and an Airaid CAI. The spark plugs are the stock ones (72k miles), but I have been considering replacing them soon.

The problem is not constant for me, but if it happens during a drive the problem will not go away during that whole trip. However, the next day it may not have the surging issue at all.

What Version Tune are you running? How many miles are on your plugs?
I think Ver5 and 50k on the stock plugs. I'm thinking this my be some sort of timing or tans problem. I'm going to try and go back to stock tune and map sensor and see if it still happens

I gapped my plugs and tuned at 2500 miles. Then changed my plugs again at 22,000 miles due to it not feeling right. Also, switched to stock then back to tune, then disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. Seemed to be good after that. Also, I was running full synthetic motor oil, but switched back to the factory recommended Motorcraft blend oil after hearing full synthetic may cause excessive turbo heat. Not sure if it's true, but switched back anyway. I change my oil every 5,000 miles.

I'm also using synthetic but with your advice I'm going to switch back I also change my oil ever 5K. I will also try the battery trick. Thank you.

I'm also using synthetic but with your advice I'm going to switch back I also change my oil ever 5K. I will also try the battery trick. Thank you.

No problem. The new plugs made a difference at 22,000. I'd suggest changing the plugs and gapping to .030" with a quality gauge. Not one that adjustments are made by prying against the electrode.

I gapped my plugs and tuned at 2500 miles. Then changed my plugs again at 22,000 miles due to it not feeling right. Also, switched to stock then back to tune, then disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. Seemed to be good after that. Also, I was running full synthetic motor oil, but switched back to the factory recommended Motorcraft blend oil after hearing full synthetic may cause excessive turbo heat. Not sure if it's true, but switched back anyway. I change my oil every 5,000 miles.

I've never heard that before. Where did you hear that?

I've never heard that before. Where did you hear that?

Parts guy at Advanced Auto. Said he used to work at a Ford Dealer and seen warranties denied for ecoboost turbo issues (excessive heat damage) with full synthetic oil used. Not sure if it's BS, but I chose to stick to the factory recommended oil just in case.

Back