• Register Today It's free!

Steering stabilizers

Robertv520

Reaction score
City, State
Maricopa AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
I was looking for recommendations for a dual steering stabilizer kit for a 92 explorer. I wanted to post pics of it too so you could better understand what it is but I think I need to be an elite member for that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is mine. I also replaced my steering box at the same time. The steering feels like new again.

pic host

I went with a single stabilizer years ago... Here's an old shot of it..

4784360313_484f1211db_z.jpg
Front-suspension-shots 002 by maniak_az, on Flickr

I helped hide front end issues for years. When I went cut/turned beams I was getting enough flex to get the stabilizer into things. I finally removed it when I did my Saginaw power steering pump upgrade... I wanted a much lighter steering plus more power to push the tires when wheeling.

I used a Rancho rs5402 ($55-ish) - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CB6FOW with a Rancho rs5537 bracket (I think I still have it lying around).

~Mark

I helped hide front end issues for years. When I went cut/turned beams I was getting enough flex to get the stabilizer into things. I finally removed it when I did my Saginaw power steering pump upgrade... I wanted a much lighter steering plus more power to push the tires when wheeling.

I used a Rancho rs5402 ($55-ish) - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CB6FOW with a Rancho rs5537 bracket (I think I still have it lying around).

~Mark

The most important point in this thread in my opinion. If everything else is working and designed properly, a steering stabilizer shouldn't be necessary. But they are a good safety net to have when you do eventually bend or break something on the trail. A steering stabilizer can make the difference between driving home vs. riding home on the back of a flat bed

Maniak - any chance you still have that bracket laying around?

Back