Radio not working on startup | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio not working on startup

With the Explorer running, turn the radio OFF.
Turn off the car and leave it for a while.
Turn the car back on and try to turn the radio ON.
More times than not pressing the powr button in MFT will click but not turn the radio ON.
If I leave the radio ON and turn off the car it will turn ON when I start the car.
The only times I have had the radio fail is when I turn it off before shutting down the car.

T have a travel trailer and when backing up I would turn the radio OFF so I could hear my wife's directions. This is what led me to narrow down the problem.
I have not performed a master reset. I hate losing all my customizations.

I took my Explorer to the dealer for oil change and tire rotation.
I brought up the radio issue, but it was working at that time. The service writer said there was a procedure to reboot the system and upload new firmware.
Radio problem is not intermittent anymore. Now it just doesn't work!
Dealer tried to upload new firmware and just gets errors. They are trying to get in contact with Ford Engineering but meanwhile they have my new car and most likely will have it till some time next week.
I am not pleased!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my Explorer to the dealer for oil change and tire rotation.
I brought up the radio issue, but it was working at that time. The service writer said there was a procedure to reboot the system and upload new firmware.
Radio problem is not intermittent anymore. Now it just doesn't work!
Dealer tried to upload new firmware and just gets errors. They are trying to get in contact with Ford Engineering but meanwhile they have my new car and most likely will have it till some time next week.
I am not pleased!
Why not just leave the radio on when you turn the vehicle off?
Have you tried turning the radio ON before starting the vehicle to see if stays ON after you start the car?

Peter

Why not just leave the radio on when you turn the vehicle off?
Have you tried turning the radio ON before starting the vehicle to see if stays ON after you start the car?

Peter
I turn the radio off when backing the travel trailer so I can hear my wife's comments.
Plus, IT'S A NEW CAR! Everything should work.

I turn the radio off when backing the travel trailer so I can hear my wife's comments.
Plus, IT'S A NEW CAR! Everything should work.
Sorry, I forgot why you turn it off. I agree it should work so I guess it's best to have the dealer check it out.

Peter

Last Friday I returned to the dealer for my free oil change, tire rotation, check. I told the service writer about the radio but said it would be hard to diagnose as it was working.
There is a NOTE from Ford on this and a software update to fix the problem.
Software update bricked the radio and the control panel and threw errors. Ford engineering suggested fixes that didn't work. A new radio and control module were ordered.
Took till Tuesday to get parts and my car was done late Tuesday afternoon.
I asked if my Sirius subscription will still work. Yup says dealer. Nope says I. PITA and a few phone calls to Sirius and that's back working.
Time will tell if the fix worked.

Last Friday I returned to the dealer for my free oil change, tire rotation, check. I told the service writer about the radio but said it would be hard to diagnose as it was working.
There is a NOTE from Ford on this and a software update to fix the problem.
Software update bricked the radio and the control panel and threw errors. Ford engineering suggested fixes that didn't work. A new radio and control module were ordered.
Took till Tuesday to get parts and my car was done late Tuesday afternoon.
I asked if my Sirius subscription will still work. Yup says dealer. Nope says I. PITA and a few phone calls to Sirius and that's back working.
Time will tell if the fix worked.
Not surprised your subscription didn't work. Each radio has its own ESN or ID number. That number is identified to Sirius in order to ensure that the subscription is valid for that particular radio.
I'm also curious to see if changing radios will fix the problem you were having. I would have thought the issue was something else since the radio itself worked perfectly. Like you said,, time will tell.

Peter

Several times now, when starting up our 2016 Platinum Explorer with sync 2, the radio doesn't work. It's off upon starting the vehicle and can't be turned on either by the power button on the sync screen or by the power button on the volume knob on the center console. We also can't make the radio go to full screen, however the other 3 screens work fine.

If you shut the vehicle off for about 5 mins and start it back up, it returns to normal. But if you only shut it off for a few seconds, it still won't work. And yes, we opened the door to completely power off the vehicle.

Has anyone else had this issue? I know it's an issue in the F150's with sync 3 as well. We haven't had time to take it to the dealership and since it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the chances of them being able to recreate the problem are probably pretty slim. We have not tried any of the resets that can be done by holding down certain buttons on the radio because I just learned of them tonight. Thanks for any input!
I have a 2016 Platinum Explorer--I'm having this same problem.

Several times now, when starting up our 2016 Platinum Explorer with sync 2, the radio doesn't work. It's off upon starting the vehicle and can't be turned on either by the power button on the sync screen or by the power button on the volume knob on the center console. We also can't make the radio go to full screen, however the other 3 screens work fine.

I have also had the wipers go off for no reason.
When Quick Dial is selected on the dash, I have had the phone menu just go blank like the radio.
Last week, we couldn't get the heat to turn off.

Same issue with radio not turning on here. I've confirmed that this has nothing to do with MFT. It appears that the audio control module crashes. Triggering an ACM reset in Forscan resolves this immediately-also keeping the car off with driver door closed for 10min sometimes fixes it. Hopefully Ford releases a fix for this. My workaround is to turn the volume down instead of turning the radio off.

I have a 2016 Platinum Explorer--I'm having this same problem.

I have also had the wipers go off for no reason.
When Quick Dial is selected on the dash, I have had the phone menu just go blank like the radio.
Last week, we couldn't get the heat to turn off.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Yesterday, the message beep just kept going off. It went through all of the messages on my phone and finally froze on the screen. I could not select "listen, play or ignore". I just drop to the dealership and showed them the problem. The shop foreman said as soon as they drove the car out of range for the phone, the problem stopped. He was going to test on the Ford web site, but it was down.
Anyway, he thinks it is related to the phone and the apps. I have precious few apps on my phone. I have a Galaxy phone, he suggested I take the battery out to reset the phone. Of course I can't do that going down the rode, but it could explain the issues.

If you shut the vehicle off for about 5 mins and start it back up, it returns to normal. But if you only shut it off for a few seconds, it still won't work. And yes, we opened the door to completely power off the vehicle.

Has anyone else had this issue? I know it's an issue in the F150's with sync 3 as well. We haven't had time to take it to the dealership and since it doesn't happen on a regular basis, the chances of them being able to recreate the problem are probably pretty slim. We have not tried any of the resets that can be done by holding down certain buttons on the radio because I just learned of them tonight. Thanks for any input!

I have a 2016 F-150 crew cab, and am experiencing the exact problem you describe, Breakdown02. This is the stock radio with AM FM Sirius, and CD. No NAV system (I know where I am going). It has a tiny 4" screen. Sometimes when you start the engine, the display is dead. No backup camera, and no sound from radio (which is always left on). Turning engine off and opening and shutting the door and restarting does not help. You have to walk away for 30 minutes or more, then it will work properly when you start the engine. Aggravating, intermittent problem!

There is a fix at the dealer for this. Have them reference this Special Service Message.

SSM 45945 - 2016 F150, Mustang And Explorer - No Audio After Starting The Engine - Screen Displays Loading Or Audio Off Message - Built On Or Before 4/15/2016

Some 2016 F150, Mustang and Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L GTDI, 2.3L GTDI or 2.7L GTDI engine built on or before 4/15/2016, and equipped with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) or Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE), may exhibit no audio and/or display an Audio Off or Loading message after starting the engine. Reprogram the Audio Control Module (ACM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 101.03 or higher.

Good info posted.. thanks.

The non-working radio / entertainment at start up only happened to me once (I've only had the car for about a week and a half) and as others have mentioned after a few hours of "off" time it returned to normal upon start up.

mine has done this twice in the 1.5 months we have owned it, Its very annoying and it does the same as yours. I have a ford tech buddy who is gonna update everything in the AM and see if this problem continues.

Edit: I did notice this morning when we started the car, It done some sort of update on the nav screen in the dash. the next few times we turned the car off thats when it happened.

Scan for codes. My Taurus did this once or twice--the ACM had a stored code. The fact that MFT can't hit the radio is a symptom and not the cause.

Mine did the same twice this past week. Not only was the radio OFF but the horn honked twice each time as well. It only happened twice and after that everything was back to normal. Not worried about it for now and will see if it occurs again.

Peter

Bumping this old thread.

I had a similar issue happen a few times last year and just happened again today.

Start Ex, no radio. I tried using the voice commands button and I couldn't hear the lovely lady's voice, but it recognized mine when I spoke commands.

What's odd is that it will read text messages and also navigation directions.

I drive for about 20 minutes to work with no radio, get to work and turn off car. I opened the door to shut it down and when I turned it back on, everything worked.

When I left from work in the afternoon, same thing.

Any thoughts?

Tanks Peter.
Good to know there's a TSB.
Based on the possible causes, sounds like cold and low battery could contribute to the cause.

The battery is original, so about 5 years old. Plus, with the cold the last few days, probably just put it over the edge. It has been struggling a little bit in the cold.

Now, just got to determine if it's worth getting the TSB done since it's only happens a couple times in last couple years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back