4405 to 1354 e Conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4405 to 1354 e Conversion

You need to replace the GEM because the one that controls the operation of the 4405 case won't work with the 1354. The 2 cases work differently in the way that they shift ranges.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read some where that the 95 and up system uses resistance in the three switch settings and the older system does not, so my question is do I need to change the selector switch to older type or will just the wiring mods work??

No, you don't need to replace the selector switch. The case doesn't care which switch is there, it's the GEM that receives the input from the switch. Since you would be using 2nd gen GEM it will be looking for the resistive input signal anyway.

I'm half through this swap. Thanks for the info. I believe rangers (of some years at least) use solid state relays for the clutch engagement. At any rate, there isn't much reason to change it since it should function as a standard relay just fine. The solid state relay is used because of the fast switching and high duty cycle needed for pulse wavelength modulation. Do you happen to have a pinout diagram for a 98 ranger gem you could post? Thanks again.

I don't have a complete GEM pin out. All of the diagrams I have are separated into the different systems that use the GEM. What in particular are you looking for? And as far as I know all the rangers used non PWM relays up to at least 05. You might be able to use the TOD relay, but you would have to rewire it any way so might as well just wire in a new one.

I was just looking for pin assignments for the 98 ranger gem. I wanted to compare them to the 97 explorer diagrams (which I have found) to see if the 98 ranger gem that I had would work in a 97 explorer. I just went ahead and hooked it up and everything seems to work well (minus the rear items you describe above). I was researching 98 year in particular because I was using that gem. This is from the 98-02 ranger service manual:
"------
The 4X4 shift motor uses a module containing two relays which, under control of the GEM, shifts the transfer case shift motor between 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW and 2WD modes.

The solid state clutch relay is used to activate the clutch within the transfer case which aids in shifting to 4X4.

Feature inputs:

4WD mode switch.
Vehicle speed signal (transmitted from the ABS module [4WABS only] or GEM [RABS only])
Output shaft (OSS) speed sensors.
Contact plate position inputs A, B, C, D.

Feature outputs:

Solid state clutch relay (pulse width modulated signal: grounded when the relay is on, battery potential when relay is off).

Shifts into 4X4 HIGH can be made at any speed. Listed below are the inputs and outputs needed by the GEM to execute a change between any of these modes.----------"

Of course, that that is simply information I have gathered from the internet. I haven't investigated first hand, so it could be incorrect. But, I just don't think the relay wiring changes are necessary. It appears that the results of the rewire is that one 12V feed is from a different source, a different type of relay is used, and the circuit protection diode is eliminated. The yellow switching ground from the gem should trigger the clutch via the brown wire in either configuration.

I did opt to leave the solid state relay in place and I wired the 1354s clutch wire and rear speed sensor into the motor harness. Everything seems to work fine this way including shift on the fly. I figured the oss on the 1354 could serve some purpose and figured nothing bad could happen from wiring it in. I think the sensor on the 1354 was a 2-wire sensor and the 4405 had 3-wire sensors, so it likely is doing nothing.

Thats good info to have. My research was limited to the 98-00 rangers as those were the years that the t-case was a direct bolt in for mine. The 99 ranger, according to the schematics uses a standard relay for clutch engagement. My guess would be that Ford switched the ranger to the same type of system as the ex when they did away with the locking hubs. If the 2 systems are not distinctly different its probably cheaper and easier to share components across vehicles.

in the 1st post you mentioned that the rear wiper wont work without modifying the wiring, but you never mentioned a wiring mod to fix that. So does the rear defrost mod fix that or is there no way to make the rear wiper work with the ranger GEM?

My rear wiper wasn't working long before I did this conversion, so I wasn't concerned with making it work. The ranger GEM doesn't have any provision for a rear wiper, so no it won't work. I had done some basic design work on a simple 2 speed relay based wiper control, but as most times happens when it's not absolutely necessary life jumps in and puts it on the back burner. I did some tests and it can be done pretty easily. I'm petty swamped at work right now but if I get some time I'll try to dig up my test setup and see if I can post something.

Some useful information here in this thread.

Just wondering why you would use a Ranger GEM and go through all the trouble to rewire the truck functions (rear wiper, interior lights, rear defrost, air ride suspension, 1 touch windows, battery saver, drivers door disarm, etc.) when you can use a 2wd / V8 Explorer GEM from the same year and stand alone 4x4CM from a 01+ Ranger/Explorer Sport/Sport Trac.

Brett

Excellent write up. Sorry to dig this back up after a couple years of inactivity but the 4405 transfer case in my '97 Explorer isn't engaging 4wd anymore and I love the idea of this swap... only thing holding me back is the idea of hacking up so much of the stock wiring and eliminating the rear wiper. Would like to hear anyone's follow up on Brett's suggestion of running a 2wd GEM and a standalone 4x4 module... how would that wire up? Also, would it be possible to wire up a 4x4 module out of a 1st gen Ex with a 1354? Thanks for the great thread though!

Excellent write up. Sorry to dig this back up after a couple years of inactivity but the 4405 transfer case in my '97 Explorer isn't engaging 4wd anymore and I love the idea of this swap... only thing holding me back is the idea of hacking up so much of the stock wiring and eliminating the rear wiper. Would like to hear anyone's follow up on Brett's suggestion of running a 2wd GEM and a standalone 4x4 module... how would that wire up? Also, would it be possible to wire up a 4x4 module out of a 1st gen Ex with a 1354? Thanks for the great thread though!

I've done several of these swaps now, including the 4406e swap in my 98 V8 using the 01+ Ranger/Explorer Sport/Sport Trac electronics. This is a much simpler swap that is totally factory. The wiring integration is not difficult, it just takes patience. I would not use a 1st gen 1354 module b/c the 01+ is a much better match to the 95-01 stock electronics, dash switch, GEM compatibility, etc.

I have not seen anyone else do the 1354e / 4406e swap, wire it correctly, and retain all the factory functions of the original truck. Probably why most just do a manual tcase swap.

PM me for details on the wiring schematics.

PM sent, Brett. Seems like I can find all the parts for this at my local junkyard for a reasonable price. If I'm not mistaken my '97 has the VSS on the output shaft of the t-case... what years should I be looking for with the 1354 in explorers/rangers so it has a sensor hole compatible with my setup? I'm planning on using the stock 4405 shift motor, so should the sensor work by simply splicing the rear sensor wire on its harness with the sensor on the appropriate 1354 that I end up with? Really hoping to make this work, I've been sorely missing 4wd in the snowy weather.

Hi, sorry i have not replied yet. I just saw the PM. I'll reply back to your PM with more details.

For a 97, you'll want to look for a 95-97 Ranger 1354 and front shaft. These are similar to the 1st gen 1354's. I'm not sure if the 4405 motor will work with the 01+ 4x4CM from a Sport/Sport Trac/Ranger. I've had best luck pairing the shift motor with the 4x4CM.

PM sent, Brett. Seems like I can find all the parts for this at my local junkyard for a reasonable price. If I'm not mistaken my '97 has the VSS on the output shaft of the t-case... what years should I be looking for with the 1354 in explorers/rangers so it has a sensor hole compatible with my setup? I'm planning on using the stock 4405 shift motor, so should the sensor work by simply splicing the rear sensor wire on its harness with the sensor on the appropriate 1354 that I end up with? Really hoping to make this work, I've been sorely missing 4wd in the snowy weather.

The stock 4405 shift motor won't work. Like Brett said, you're better off matching the shift motor from the 1354. The older one will work, but the connectors are different. The newer 1354 shift motors connectors will match yours, it's easier than trying to swap connectors.

Some useful information here in this thread.

Just wondering why you would use a Ranger GEM and go through all the trouble to rewire the truck functions (rear wiper, interior lights, rear defrost, air ride suspension, 1 touch windows, battery saver, drivers door disarm, etc.) when you can use a 2wd / V8 Explorer GEM from the same year and stand alone 4x4CM from a 01+ Ranger/Explorer Sport/Sport Trac.

Brett

I did that because at the time that I was doing this there was no info out there on this swap and no definitive answer on whether the setup you suggested would work. I have a background in electronics, and I was pretty certain I could make this happen. It really wasn't too involved as the wiring is concerned. Of all the things you listed the only things I had to deal with were the rear defrost, rear wiper, and door ajar/disarm switches. As with all untested projects, someone always finds better and easier ways to the end result, and hopefully my project inspired some of that. Back then I was interested in keeping the "on road comforts", hence using the electronic shift t-case. I still have the truck, but it has been re-purposed to be a mostly play/trail truck. So I have since ditched the e-case and installed a manual shift 1354 and manual locking front hubs, giving me true 2wd and the confidence that the case won't fail me when I'm in the muck.

so did anyone learn from brett how to get the stand alone 4x4 cm to work and whats involved?????? just put the 1354 e in my 96 to replace the 4405 2wd and 4wd lo works just would like to know how to get that 4x4 cm to work to get 4 high back and not loose back defrost and wipers with a ranger gem
--Thanks

Your 96 will be a little different b/c it does not have a live front axle like the 97 and later trucks. It uses a vacuum disconnect. You can either permanently lock the front diff or swap axle for a later live axle. The 01+ 4x4cm does not have a way to control the vacuum disconnect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea i love owning a oddball year lol forgot to mention the cad on my front axle is always locked now that was my next step after i installed the 1354

so is this gonna be a fun wiring project or what ?!?! haha btw not afraid to do anything on the old girl already swapped out that 4r55e for a 5r55e back in spring :D
i can head to the local pick and pull tomo what do i need beside the 4x4 module?? harness too????
appriciate the help!!

Back