List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

25k miles, 3 years old, Piano black. Noticed its today doing it in 4 spots along the front edge of the hood any one else have this issue? No rust yet, but gonna see what Ford will do about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

25k miles, 3 years old, Piano black. Noticed its today doing it in 4 spots along the front edge of the hood any one else have this issue? No rust yet, but gonna see what Ford will do about.
welcome to the club. Better get it checked as the clock is ticking. Feel the edge to see just how much it is bubbling. Find the thread on this problem to know what to expect.

Everyone above is spot on. Its corrosion on the hood (not rust because the hood is aluminum and aluminum does not rust).

I would also demand that you have a new hood put on the car (despite what they say about the TSB and other stuff - once it starts corroding unless they get it all (they won't) it will start all over again). I had mine fixed with the TSB procedures and its now starting to come back after 6-7 months. Going to take it to an independent and trusted repair shop to have a new hood painted and installed as that is the only true fix for this issue.

Hi Jeremy. Your thread has been merged with this existing on mentioned above and found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
Please add the trim level (XLT) to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. This can be useful info at times. Thanks.

Peter

Add my wife's to the list. I've tried ignoring it but now it's chipping off. Gonna read through the thread to see if ford covers is. Nit holding my breath.

For the record, my '15 XLT had the same issue. Ford honored it as a warranty item and repainted the hood. I wanted a new hood, but they said no. This was back in May of '16.

My old Explorer had it, it drove me nuts. Ford wouldn't cover it so I paid $600 to a ford body shop to fix it. I still cannot believe Ford wouldn't cover it, unacceptable.

Bought a 2014 explorer XLT that has 35k miles on it. 1k miles left of warranty, and only 1 month too.
Saw this thread, so I looked very closely for rust on my hood.

I found 1 single bubble the size of a drop of water on the edge of my hood.

Brought it to the dealer - > currently repainting it.

Thanks everyone for their contributions to this thread. I hope ford's repair is warrantied I will have to look into that.

I'm happy to hear that, good luck.

Ford should be ashamed of themselves for this ****. I'm a loyal Ford guy but my wife just got a GM. I love my Expy and Mustang but am ashamed I owned that Explorer.

Hi Jeremy. Your thread has been merged with this existing on mentioned above and found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
Please add the trim level (XLT) to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. This can be useful info at times. Thanks.

Peter
Add my wife's to the list. I've tried ignoring it but now it's chipping off. Gonna read through the thread to see if ford covers is. Nit holding my breath.
I have a 2013 Explorer that I bought new and there were 3 spots with blisters. One chipped off today and now I have a white spot on the edge of my hood the size of a dime. Haven't been to dealer to ask about it yet. I been thinking about getting a hood bug guard to hide the paint spots on the short haul.

I have a 2013 Explorer that I bought new and there were 3 spots with blisters. One chipped off today and now I have a white spot on the edge of my hood the size of a dime. Haven't been to dealer to ask about it yet. I been thinking about getting a hood bug guard to hide the paint spots on the short haul.

I bought the AVS bug guard off amazon for like 50 bucks. It's easy to install, bolts on without any tape. It was like 50 bucks.

I think if we all buy $50 hood deflectors that should help out Ford a lot with this hood bubble problem. Who agrees with this great idea?

I think if we all buy $50 hood deflectors that should help out Ford a lot with this hood bubble problem. Who agrees with this great idea?
It will keep the front of the hood clear of bug splatter but won't to a thing for the issue at hand.

Peter

I also encountered this hood paint bubble issue, just had my hood repainted by a reputable car shop in Manila.

It's more than a year since the hood was painted so I hope there won't be any issue. The shop didn't notice any rust though so I'm wondering why several Explorer owners have experienced this problem.

I also encountered this hood paint bubble issue, just had my hood repainted by a reputable car shop in Manila.

It's more than a year since the hood was painted so I hope there won't be any issue. The shop didn't notice any rust though so I'm wondering why several Explorer owners have experienced this problem.
It can't rust. It is made of aluminum. What people are seeing is a type of corrosion.

Peter

Went to the dealer to pick up the car after having hood painted. Only to notice significant rust above the windshield.

I'm just flabbergasted that this car would have so much rust with 30k miles and a 2014.

I'm giving it back to them for full purchase price and going to get a new edge instead. The explorer issues have really challenged my trust in Ford as a brand, but that's the best the dealer will do for me.

Mine was repainted twice and it came back both times. The third time the dealer ate the cost of replacing the hood because they felt that was the only long term fix. While I'm very impressed that the dealership did this, I'm disappointed in Ford not covering the cost. Ford only paid for one repaint.

Corrosion is the process of losing a refined metal (recovered from the Ores), by chemical reactions with chemical reagents to form its Oxide, Sulphide or its metal salt. Thus oxidation is one form of corrosion of metals to form their oxides. Corrosion of Metals also happen by other chemicals like Sulphur, Sulphur Dioxide, Sulphur Trioxide or Acids and other Chemical Agents. Metals like Silver and Copper, react with Sulphur from Atmosphere or Hydrogen Sulphide to form their Sulphides. Acids like Sulphuric Acid or Hydrochloric Acid react with metals like Iron and Aluminium to form salts like Iron Sulphate or Aluminium Chloride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Corrosion is the process of losing a refined metal (recovered from the Ores), by chemical reactions with chemical reagents to form its Oxide, Sulphide or its metal salt. Thus oxidation is one form of corrosion of metals to form their oxides. Corrosion of Metals also happen by other chemicals like Sulphur, Sulphur Dioxide, Sulphur Trioxide or Acids and other Chemical Agents. Metals like Silver and Copper, react with Sulphur from Atmosphere or Hydrogen Sulphide to form their Sulphides. Acids like Sulphuric Acid or Hydrochloric Acid react with metals like Iron and Aluminium to form salts like Iron Sulphate or Aluminium Chloride.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back