2017 MY Running Boards | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 MY Running Boards

I have never posted anything so I am probably doing this wrong, but need help! We just bought a 2017 Explorer Platinum. My wife is 5'3 and needs running boards. The new model with the running boards isn't out yet, when they come out will I have the option to go to the dealership and add on the retractable running boards? or another running board! She has to get 1/2 in and jump up, because of the lip on the inside of the car. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue for her. PLEASE HELP!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
According to my salesman, the running boards will not be the retractable type but rather the standard ones. The reason is that the running boards for the F-150 showed as 'Power-Deployable Running Boards' while the Explorer just listed 'Running Boards'. I guess we'll find out before too long. There is a thread I found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) that may be of interest. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/running-boards-deezee-and-others.344923/
Happy New Year!

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are a fixed running board and should be available to order through parts dept.

I wouldn't think the Explorer needs these and honestly would just be in the way/an annoyance.... my .02

I bought a 2016 Explorer 4x4 a few months ago after having a 2013 Edge FWD for just shy of 4 years, and before that, had a 2008 Expedition with the Power Running Boards. At 55 years old, I have a really bad back (just had surgery #5) and need a taller vehicle to sit in - low-rider cars - even a normal Honda Civic type thing is difficult for me to sit so low in. I LOVED the Expedition - but that was when gas was $4/gal and medical bills forced me to scale down to the Edge.

The Edge was just about right, height-wise, although I personally just like having a bigger vehicle so, enter the Explorer. I love everything about the car, it's comfortable, it rides well - my only "complaint" (actually there are 2 - WHY does Ford not put door frame handles on the drivers seat? You know, the handle either over the door or on the front pillar? Helps a lot for us folks with disabilities!), this car is just a bit TOO tall for me to raise my leg over the threshold. I don't know if it's the 4x4/AWD part (is there a diff between the FWD and the AWD - and is it AWD or 4x4 - or I see Intelligent 4-wheel drive? So confusing!!)

Anyway, I did see that Ford sells an aftermarket Running Board for the 2016 Explorer for $500 (or less if one looks around) and I have them sitting in the garage, waiting to go on. I have NEVER seen any Explorer with Running Boards (2011 or newer) but the boards themselves do look quite nice (aside from them not being retracting - I loved my Expedition). I was curious if anyone has installed these and, if so, how difficult are they to install? I'm quite handy and, aside from their weight and my back, the instructions don't look difficult.

I'm quite surprised to see that Power Running Boards would be offered on the Explorer since, as someone pointed out, not too many people would need them BUT I wasn't thinking about shorter people or children. I'm just glad that there is some type of option for me. Now, if only I could figure out something for the dog. She had no problems jumping into the hatch of the Edge but, again, the Explorer being just a tad higher has her thrown off! I've seen steps one can put on the hitch but, alas, we don't have the tow package, either!

The FWD and AWD models are the same height. I believe only the Sport sits a little lower. Running boards are a late availability option on the 2017 and are not powered/retractable according to my salesman. Although I can't be sure, I believe the lack of handles on the seat and 'A' pillar is due to air bags being located there.

Peter

I bought a 2016 Explorer 4x4 a few months ago after having a 2013 Edge FWD for just shy of 4 years, and before that, had a 2008 Expedition with the Power Running Boards. At 55 years old, I have a really bad back (just had surgery #5) and need a taller vehicle to sit in - low-rider cars - even a normal Honda Civic type thing is difficult for me to sit so low in. I LOVED the Expedition - but that was when gas was $4/gal and medical bills forced me to scale down to the Edge.

The Edge was just about right, height-wise, although I personally just like having a bigger vehicle so, enter the Explorer. I love everything about the car, it's comfortable, it rides well - my only "complaint" (actually there are 2 - WHY does Ford not put door frame handles on the drivers seat? You know, the handle either over the door or on the front pillar? Helps a lot for us folks with disabilities!), this car is just a bit TOO tall for me to raise my leg over the threshold. I don't know if it's the 4x4/AWD part (is there a diff between the FWD and the AWD - and is it AWD or 4x4 - or I see Intelligent 4-wheel drive? So confusing!!)

Anyway, I did see that Ford sells an aftermarket Running Board for the 2016 Explorer for $500 (or less if one looks around) and I have them sitting in the garage, waiting to go on. I have NEVER seen any Explorer with Running Boards (2011 or newer) but the boards themselves do look quite nice (aside from them not being retracting - I loved my Expedition). I was curious if anyone has installed these and, if so, how difficult are they to install? I'm quite handy and, aside from their weight and my back, the instructions don't look difficult.

I'm quite surprised to see that Power Running Boards would be offered on the Explorer since, as someone pointed out, not too many people would need them BUT I wasn't thinking about shorter people or children. I'm just glad that there is some type of option for me. Now, if only I could figure out something for the dog. She had no problems jumping into the hatch of the Edge but, again, the Explorer being just a tad higher has her thrown off! I've seen steps one can put on the hitch but, alas, we don't have the tow package, either!

I also have a set of boards in the garage ready to go on my 2013 XLT, these are the boards I'm putting on. Link to boards.

C8AC3569-213A-4140-A6D7-8D85ED93A5BC.jpg

If I recall correctly aren't those the ones that won't allow for the installation of the front splash guards? Good looking boards though.

Peter

If I recall correctly aren't those the ones that won't allow for the installation of the front splash guards? Good looking boards though.

Peter

I'm not sure about the splash guard question, it's not something I'm worried about because I'm going for a different look.

I got the idea from this picture, I have a white Explorer and like the look of this car, minus the logos. :) :p

E92A419A-3A4C-4C3B-A717-07D2AE013325.jpg

DeLaSaAZ: Do you have the Ford part no for your running boards? According to the Ford parts website there isn't a running board for 2016 models.

DeLaSaAZ: Do you have the Ford part no for your running boards? According to the Ford parts website there isn't a running board for 2016 models.
I checked the Ford Accessory store on the Ford.com website and there is no listing for running boards. Unless you are in a rush, why not wait until the 'boards' for the 2017 model come out? I'm quite sure they would fit a 2016 as well. There is also a thread on running boards. I don't know if you've seen that one or are interested in non Ford 'boards'. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/running-boards-deezee-and-others.344923/
Good luck.

Peter

I also have a set of boards in the garage ready to go on my 2013 XLT, these are the boards I'm putting on. Link to boards.

C8AC3569-213A-4140-A6D7-8D85ED93A5BC.jpg
Oh, I really like the look of these - are these the Ford running boards or aftermarket? I don't think mine have that type of connection (from what I can tell, just looking at parts still in the box 2 months later!) Actually, I just answered my own question, from what I can tell on the instruction sheet, mine attach in a totally different fashion - although I REALLY love the look of this picture. I do have the molded mud flaps, front and back, and I'm hoping I'll be able to leave the front ones on. I think so (from the directions - with horrible illustrations) but won't know until I do it, maybe this week. I'm a procrastinator.

I'm sorry, just saw your post. The part number I have says HB5Z-16450-AB - says compatible with 2011 through 2017. I ordered them through tascaparts.com, they were $400 plus $35 S&H. There are some Ford dealers that also have it, though they cost anywhere from $35-100 more + S&H. S&H depends on where you live, I thought $35 from Rhode Island to Arizona was pretty cheap, it's a huge, heavy box. Tasca did have to order it so it took a few weeks BUT I've had them for some time and haven't installed them yet, so I'm obviously in no hurry!

I will say, I ordered and installed the molded mud flaps (front and back) which also fit several model years and there was one minor difference on the front flap installation - one plastic plug hole was in a different place than the directions shows but I was able to work around it. It doesn't look like the running boards interfere with the flaps, vice-versa with this type.

HB5Z-16450-AB.jpg

This picture is from a Ford dealer site of what they look like. Nothing horribly fancy, fine with me. They are all black, my car is silver with black accents so it should look sharp.

Peter
I have the front molded flaps and I would have to say, looking at this picture, that the front flaps would definitely not work with these. But that's just my guess - although I do love the look of these boards. I just posted a pic of the Ford boards and part # in a reply above.

Oh, I really like the look of these - are these the Ford running boards or aftermarket? I don't think mine have that type of connection (from what I can tell, just looking at parts still in the box 2 months later!) Actually, I just answered my own question, from what I can tell on the instruction sheet, mine attach in a totally different fashion - although I REALLY love the look of this picture. I do have the molded mud flaps, front and back, and I'm hoping I'll be able to leave the front ones on. I think so (from the directions - with horrible illustrations) but won't know until I do it, maybe this week. I'm a procrastinator.

If you look in my original post, I provided a link to the boards. They are EGR boards, so aftermarket and not Ford boards.

I have the front molded flaps and I would have to say, looking at this picture, that the front flaps would definitely not work with these. But that's just my guess - although I do love the look of these boards. I just posted a pic of the Ford boards and part # in a reply above.

Yes, mud flaps will not work, but I'm not attempting that look.

If you look in my original post, I provided a link to the boards. They are EGR boards, so aftermarket and not Ford boards.
Yup, looked at your other post again, just hours before this nice post re-informing me you included the link. You'll have to post a shot after you get them installed, love the look. As for the mud flaps, I don't put those on for "a look", I like them because the guys at the car wash love to slather on the Armor-All or whatever tire shine they use and it's splattered clear down the side of the car before I get the few blocks home. Well - that and, obviously, mud.

Saw it on a platinum. On the window sticker, it said running board, black.

The running boards are really solid. I bounced on it and it does not feel flimsy like those aftermarket running boards. The mounts are pretty wide and thick.

Edit: I also found these available on the website as an accessory for around 500 bucks. Apparently it's no drill. Available for 2011 - current Explorers.

IMG_6732.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

Saw it on a platinum. On the window sticker, it said running board, black.

The running boards are really solid. I bounced on it and it does not feel flimsy like those aftermarket running boards. The mounts are pretty wide and thick.

View attachment 95196

View attachment 95198

View attachment 95199

Yes, these are exactly what I've got for my 2016 Limited. I was all set to install them last weekend but first I went through all the parts and separated them into marked baggies, both to make sure I had everything I was supposed to and to be easier to find exactly the right nut/bolt/etc. I ordered these from an aftermarket company (much cheaper than almost every Ford dealer, plus a Ford dealer would have had to add sales tax, whereas the aftermarket company, not having a "presence" in Arizona didn't have to. Adds up on $400+!)

UPS had left a gigantic box containing these on my doorstep - very heavy, the box was falling apart, and ripped in one spot. Well, that was 2 months ago and so obviously I didn't jump right in and look at everything - so I wasn't surprised that when I separated and counted parts, oddly I had 4 extra of these big "T" bolts but was missing one nut and one odd washer/lock-nut type item - so there went my install day. I was able to get to Home Depot and find replacement parts that would work - but, as things go, it's been cold, windy, and raining pretty non-stop and my 2 car garage is used for everything BUT cars. Might do it today if it warms up. Been in AZ for 32 years - it's 50 outside and honestly, 110 is great - anything under 80 is damn cold! (and I grew up in Iowa for 25 years - last winter before I moved was -40 windchill factor. Any questions on why I left?)

I have looked over the instructions many, many times to make absolutely sure I know what I'm doing. These "illustration only" type, poorly drawn instructions are sometimes puzzling and vague and these are no exception but I'm pretty sure I understand it all and it doesn't look difficult at all. They are "no-drill" install, all the holes are already there and I'm very excited to get them on. I appreciate you showing these pictures, I've never actually seen a real photo of these exact running boards on any Explorer so I'm even more excited. I know there are people who don't think an Explorer needs Running Boards but at 55yo, I've had 5 back surgeries and a knee surgery so it's difficult to get my right leg over the sill at times.

One more time, if anyone is interested in these Running Boards, these are Ford OEM boards to fit all 5th Gen ('11-'17). Someone said a search comes up empty and I also had problems finding these at first so the Part Number (includes 2 Running Boards, all mounts, *supposedly* all hardware) - # HB5Z-16450-AB

Price through Ford Accessories is $495 + state tax + S&H, lombardfordaccessories.com = $433.13 + tax/S&H, TascaParts.com = $401.94, no tax, S&H from RI to AZ was $35. Do your research! BTW, I just saw a set listed on eBay for under $300 and in the details it was mentioned that it came with zero installation hardware (rendering them useless) and they were non-refundable. People are SO sneaky anymore, it's sad.

Lastly, someone else had a picture posted of some aftermarket running boards and they were both cheaper and quite sharp looking - but front mud flaps could not be used (fine for some) but I'm curious if they are also no-drill installation.

Lastly, someone else had a picture posted of some aftermarket running boards and they were both cheaper and quite sharp looking - but front mud flaps could not be used (fine for some) but I'm curious if they are also no-drill installation.

I'm not sure if "no drill" is 100% "no drill" or if I'm even the poster you are referring to, but here's a YouTube video that should help you decide for yourself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back