Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again

Ok kiddies, time for my bi-annual rebuild thread:p:
This time I won't be messing with the suspension...well, maybe the coilovers.
I may need new coils so I don't have so much uptravel but I'll deal with that much later.

Since i'm barely working progress will be slow since I'll need a few parts and whatnot to get my rig functional again. Main things I need to purchase are new leaf springs. They are totally shot and to have them rebuilt I can buy a new set of Toy springs which i'm gonna try out.

In the mean time, i've been removing stuff that either is damaged and won't be used again or just removing to get it out of the way while I work on stuff.

Here's my list so far:

Front bumper tubework: This will get reworked to accommodate the winch.
Front fenders: Thrashed beyond repair
Rocksliders: Been wanting to build new ones anyways so good as time as any to cut them off.
Rocker panels: Want to get the sliders up higher so they had to go.
Bed: Also trashed beyond repair, tubework will go in it's place
Gutted supercab area: Needed to remove for roof repair but may leave it that way and spray it with undercoating.

That's what i've done so far to the rig and I got my winch mounted today as well. I bought this winch early last summer before the roll and it's a SuperWinch Rock 9.5 short drum with synthetic rope.
I was pondering how i'd fit the grill back on since it sits behind it but i'd still need to access the freespool lever. My plan is to have it on hinges so I can flip it up, i'll just need a way to lock it in place at the bottom...maybe with Dzus fastners.

So on with the pics, i'll start with some before pics of the roof caved in and then with some of the roof almost where I want it. Still needs work obviously.
Other pics show the rockers cut and some general shots of the truck in its current condition. Last set of shots is of the winch install and grill mock up.

dscn0711.jpg

dscn0712.jpg

dscn0725.jpg

dscn0726.jpg

dscn0727.jpg

dscn0723.jpg

dscn0728.jpg

dscn0729.jpg

dscn0735.jpg

dscn0736.jpg

dscn0730.jpg

dscn0733.jpg

dscn0734.jpg

dscn0737.jpg

dscn0738.jpg

dscn0739.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, we make up a story about you having some rare medical condition and start a Go Fund Me account for the trailer and wheeling' money. Then we have a gate widening party. Problems solved!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think he needs to validate it by using it more....this means we need more off road trips:D

Sad to hear. But I understand as well. That's basically what happened with me.

Sad to hear. But I understand as well. That's basically what happened with me.

At least you are getting back into it...eventually I hope I can do the same.

At least you are getting back into it...eventually I hope I can do the same.

yeah I'm finally getting back. Building my "mild" rig

So.... one more run with the Ranger and Navajo?

I might go to KOH, not doing any wheeling though. Just need the Ranger for getting around. Going to drop the insurance after this trip.

I might go to KOH, not doing any wheeling though. Just need the Ranger for getting around. Going to drop the insurance after this trip.
see you there

see you there

x2. I'll be there Friday and Saturday

If you're bringing the Ranger out, I'll bring the Navajo so they can say goodbye

Im planning on going monday night for the Shootout at least...still deciding to stay tues and wed.

x2. I'll be there Friday and Saturday

If you're bringing the Ranger out, I'll bring the Navajo so they can say goodbye

I'll be there Wednesday - Saturday. Hope to see you all there

passed you on your way out there Thursday as I was on my way into Yucca from the lakebed. Sad the fate that is coming to this truck. Hopefully someone will buy the whole thing and continue the legend you have built.

passed you on your way out there Thursday as I was on my way into Yucca from the lakebed. Sad the fate that is coming to this truck. Hopefully someone will buy the whole thing and continue the legend you have built.

Right on...I ended up going Thursday and was going to stay Friday for the big race. Forgot I had a Dr. appt. On tues so didn't make it to the shootout.
I lasted all of 3 or 4 hours at KOH when I cracked my oil pan bombing the desert going from Choc Thunder to Backdoor.

Did something fly up and hit the oil pan? Hard to believe that the suspension compressed enough to hit. Especially after all the years you have driven it bombing thru the desert.

The axle truss hit the engine crossmember and then hit the oil pan. Actually I think there's enough travel in the motor mounts that they bottomed out and everything contacted at the same time.
I was on what looked like a well traveled path and the whoops were pretty mellow. I got on the gas a little more and came upon a deeply rutted path and bam...nailed both of the ruts hard.

There were no mellow paths that week hah

Back