Tim's '93 Sport | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sooooo, this snow kinda makes things interesting. I still havent made it up to Longmont to get my tcase, at this point, I'm not sure when I'll make it up there. However, if I can get it done, I know of a trail that would be good even if there's snow on it. It's starts kind of NW of Divide. FS362 or 363, dont remember which, but one or the other is also called Phantom Creek. Anyway, only a couple hills to mess with, the rest is all moderate hills. We ran it Sunday night all the way up into the burn area and then across the highway into Rainbow Falls. I wouldn't go all the way through the way we did with snow on it due to some really steep downhills, but the rest could be a lot of fun with snow. I'll keep you posted as to my progress on the tcase, wish the damn thing wasn't so far away.

As far as the trails I mentioned earlier, I'd do shelf road with snow, may not be the smartest move, and I'd run the ATM, but I wouldn't run the Bank, so it kind of makes the drive down there not even worth it.

I heard a rumor that Old Stage was fixed now, that they filled in the washout? You know anything about that?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Definitely keep me posted. I'd be down. Still gotta get the rear brake line done. I have the parts so hopefully in the next couple days. Last day of the semester today so should have some time here to do that. My buddies and I are going to mess around on Mt. Herman this weekend. Something easy to get the wheels in the dirt one more time. You can come with us if you want. Though I'm still down to run something else as well.

I think they fixed the washout, not sure though. I mean last time I was up there, there was no wash out it was just all kinds of rough washboard. I do know that you can finally drive Gold Camp from the Springs to Victor now. They fixed that finally.

Ok, that's what I was talking about. There was a section of road that crosses a stream that washed out a year ago, and I heard they fixed it but wasn't sure. You might want to check with the Forest Service on Mt. Herman, I heard THAT one is being worked on and is closed. I can also say for a fact that Ramparts' North and South gates were closed on Sunday night, we found the South end closed with no warning at about 430-5AM when we were just trying to get home. Had to backtrack a few miles and find a road down into Woodland Park. Rainbow falls should be open as well as everything across the highway from there.

I hear you on that washboard, it's insane!! Actually we were up there Monday morning for the sunrise (after we finally got out of Rampart) and I ran it up a little bit past Eagle Rock and it was surprisingly not bad. The snow may have filled in some of it, but I remember last year I was ready to punch a baby over that crap!!!

As far as this weekend goes, I got volunteered to help friends move on Saturday, and the ole lady is taking her Explorer up to Bunce on Sunday I guess, so I'll be free Sunday if I can get up to Longmont and get my damn tcase. Should be an easy swap (totally just jinxed myself) and I will hopefully be picking up a used set of 33's from a friend on the same trip though I doubt I'll have time to swap those in.

I'll keep you updated on what's going on and what I do or dont get done either way.

As far as I can tell they finished repairs back in September/October. I'll probably call Pikes Peak Ranger District and confirm if it's open or not. Regardless we will run something this weekend. Sunday works perfect!!

Don't jinx yourself on the t-case swap!

But definitely let me know. I've been on this forum for over two years, so it's about time to run something with a fellow member!

I'll be sure to let you know when we have a definite plan.

Ugh.....didn't get my tcase today, and a friend's jeep broke down at 3AM this morning, git it towed to our place and got started on it, but had to leave to go help other friends move. Our 94 sport is making more noise that I think is a wheel bearing, at least that's what I'm told after she wheeled it last night. So looks like I'm out for tomorrow. I'm pretty open all week every week so as soon as I get one of em fixed we'll see if we can't put something together maybe.

The Explorer performed really well today on Mt. Herman Road. Nothing crazy, just a good shakedown run. I even flexed it out a bit. Didn't push it hard though because I need to ease into the hard stuff to make sure it is fully broken in. Gotta re-torque everything tomorrow.

For size comparison, my buddy's Jimmy has a 2" body lift also sitting on 31's. The Ex sits a bit higher than the Jimmy.

fullsizeoutput_2ec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ef.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2f1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2fa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpeg

Really like the look of your Ex. I have a 96 and looking forward to getting her out there. need to get things taken care of with her first then I will be getting out there. There is a shop on Academy and Pikes Peak Ave that is great. I go to him if I ever need anything for any of my vehicles. I am also a part of a club here in the Springs that does not matter what vehicle you drive and they are all about wheeling and also taken care of the Community. We sponsor a trail Called "China Wall" great trail. Was up on that trail with my 92 I have stock with 30" tires.

Really like the look of your Ex. I have a 96 and looking forward to getting her out there. need to get things taken care of with her first then I will be getting out there. There is a shop on Academy and Pikes Peak Ave that is great. I go to him if I ever need anything for any of my vehicles. I am also a part of a club here in the Springs that does not matter what vehicle you drive and they are all about wheeling and also taken care of the Community. We sponsor a trail Called "China Wall" great trail. Was up on that trail with my 92 I have stock with 30" tires.

Thanks! I've been following the thread about your 92 for a while now and I like what you have been doing. It's nice to have other Explorers here in the Springs. China Wall has been on my list of trails to run, so one day I hope. Once I recover from this knee surgery and get back on my feet, we need to get a run together with some of the Explorers here in the Springs and from around Colorado. I'd really like to meet some of you guys in person.

In other news: Santa was very kind this year. Got me a Hobart Handler 210MVP. So that means the Ex is going to be getting a bunch of custom bits. Things like a custom roof rack, sliders, and winch hidden behind the stock bumper, just to name a few, will be in the works once I'm back on my feet

Recovery has been going slow but well. Minimal pain. Just takes some time to get better because of how delicate this procedure was. Just got to take one day at a time.

I am glad things are going well for you and your recovery. As for me I do not have the 92. Finances were in a bind. I do now have a 96. Once I'm able to get decent pictures of her I will post. Nothing special I'll done with her yet. Get better sir.

Santa was good to you!! I was a welding shop foreman for 2 different shops, fabricated all kinds of things, mostly custom one-off pieces. Lemme know if you'd like some pointers sometime, I enjoy teaching anything I know. Pretty impressive it says your welder can handle up to 3/8" thick matierial, I'm curious if that's when plugged into 220v outlet, or only with flux core or hardwire? Nice unit though for sure!!

Thanks Chad! I'd definitely like to get some pointers from you! I can always use all the help I can get! Reading the manual it'll actually do up to 1/4" material. And that's on 120v with flux core wire. Of the course the plan is to run a 220 circuit in the garage so I can use it to the full potential

Ran Illinois Gulch today. Short trail, but still good fun.View attachment 91763 View attachment 91764

This video is on the Moab Hill obstacle.

96EXXLTinCo is right! There are a ton of fun trails in the area that can lead to you To being in the truck for 2 days without realizing it lol. Mini Moab.... 96Ex was driving 2.0 (the twin to yours - General was having some tcase issues) and also had some trouble in that spot. The short wb makes that spot a little tricky when you're not on 35's and can skinny pedal it. 2.0 has only been up the right side, but when he leaves this garage (doing maintenance swaps, repairs and mods - soon I pray!!!) we're going left! I um...have a serious rock problem...see a big rock, go drive on it...see another big rock...go drive on it too lol. I like the challenge of picking lines and navigating tough rock obstacles...made more fun by being in a manual and not all tucked up like the J**ps. Poor 96EXXLTinCo....keeps saying he's gonna end up having to built a rock bouncer for me - my real goal - a 2.0 crawler / truggy / Overland hybrid. Don't want to go straight buggy bc of comfort and frequency of use. It's really not uncommon for me to go grocery shopping and somehow end up detouring home via trails.

Well FYI I have a 1st Gen Explorer again. I also have a D 30 for a SAS :) Looking froward to getting her up and running and on the trails soon.

96EXXLTinCo is right! There are a ton of fun trails in the area that can lead to you To being in the truck for 2 days without realizing it lol. Mini Moab.... 96Ex was driving 2.0 (the twin to yours - General was having some tcase issues) and also had some trouble in that spot. The short wb makes that spot a little tricky when you're not on 35's and can skinny pedal it. 2.0 has only been up the right side, but when he leaves this garage (doing maintenance swaps, repairs and mods - soon I pray!!!) we're going left! I um...have a serious rock problem...see a big rock, go drive on it...see another big rock...go drive on it too lol. I like the challenge of picking lines and navigating tough rock obstacles...made more fun by being in a manual and not all tucked up like the J**ps. Poor 96EXXLTinCo....keeps saying he's gonna end up having to built a rock bouncer for me - my real goal - a 2.0 crawler / truggy / Overland hybrid. Don't want to go straight buggy bc of comfort and frequency of use. It's really not uncommon for me to go grocery shopping and somehow end up detouring home via trails.

I love rock crawling too. Problem is this Explorer is more setup for mild wheeling and overlanding, so I can only do so much of it. Plus I try to keep this one nice because it's been in the family since brand new and it's still in really good shape. Some day it'll most likely get a full frame off restoration.

My ultimate goal (though it won't happen for a while because I'm focused on moving out of my parents house once I get back to work) is to find another 93-94 Sport (preferably identical to mine) and put Dana 60's and 40" tires under. That way I can have something to go rock crawling in and not worry about beating the crap out of it.

Well FYI I have a 1st Gen Explorer again. I also have a D 30 for a SAS :) Looking froward to getting her up and running and on the trails soon.

I saw that you got another. I'll definitely be following the build of it. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Bet it feels good to be back in a first gen.

I saw that you got another. I'll definitely be following the build of it. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Bet it feels good to be back in a first gen.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is nice to have one again. My Daughter will be getting hers fixed up. we plan to do a mild lift to clear at least 32" tires so she can have fun on China Wall and Wheeler Lake. BUT she has to do those trails when I am with her. :)

So some good news today. I can finally drive again. Feels like it's been forever. I do have to left foot brake in order to drive (as my range of motion isn't the best) but I left foot brake most of the time when I drive anyway. So it worked out

Here's a picture of the scar right after they took the rest of the surgical tape off today. I think this pretty much sums up how major this surgery was. I won't post any of the pics took during surgery in order to spare those with weak stomachs.
IMG_0877.JPG

Couple small updates. Upgraded to a 5' Firestik today and added an external speaker for my CB. So better range and I'll be able to hear my CB even with the windows down.

Ordered a Screamin Demon coil pack with LiveWires and new iridium spark plugs. As well as two new temp sensors (one for the gauge one for the ECU) Parts should be showing up within the next week. This will definitely help the engine run a lot better.

Feels good to be working on this thing again!

Glad your still working on it at least!! I havent been on facebook in about a week and not sure if news got out yet, but we acquired another 1st gen from Nick that I'm sure you'd recognize from facebook, and it is BIG!! Went up for a shakedown yesterday and lets just say i got some work to do. I'll hopefully be getting some pics and showing it off soon.

Interested in seeing if you notice any kind of difference with the new ignition parts.......

Back