Jacob Linder

"Roadhouse" - Peter Griffin
Reaction score
City, State
Chickamauga, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer EB 4x4
Morning Gents.

recently, I went to do my monthly 4x4 testing just to make sure everything is square and working properly. This month however my 4x4 low took a dump and wont engage. When I do 4x4 high the light comes on and it "feels" like it engages but I don't feel a big difference when moving. However my 4x4 low light won't come on. It blinks and goes back to normal without anything happening. Any thoughts? 2 months ago it was working. Not sure where to start with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect the plug at the transfer case, clean the contacts, reinstall. Silly question, but you try to engage the "low" with the tranny in N ?

Yes lol, I'm going to try your advice here in a little bit. It sounds and acts like it wants to click over it just doesn't. May just be dirty connectors. I'll update soon!

Having the same issue, did you ever get it resolved? Mine seems intermittent, shifting out of N and back into N while it's blinking sometimes works for me.

Having the same issue, did you ever get it resolved? Mine seems intermittent, shifting out of N and back into N while it's blinking sometimes works for me.

I did get it resolved. Ended up just being a lose wire on the connector. After fixing it and running it in 4low through snow and mud my wrench came on, and it disengaged out. I got scared. Again it just ended up being a connecting piece. Since getting them all fixed I haven't had a problem.

Yeah, for any 4x4 system you have to engage it several times a year at least in the off months to keep things from getting stuck or whatever. I used to do it on a straight road in the summer so their is no binding on dry pavement. With AWD it is not an issue though as its automatic internally.

Back