What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

If the Explorer was redesigned in 2019 for 2020MY, what would you want to see?

• Self driving tech

• Hybrid/ Plug in hybrid

• Fully electric

• Body on frame

• FWD based + AWD + 9 speed transmission

• RWD based + AWD + 10 speed transmission

• Second generation Ecoboost 3.5L

• V8

• Unibody

• Adaptive suspension (Probably magnetic dampening)

Results are only viewable after voting.

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
As you may well know, the redesign is coming sometime in 2019 - 2020. I'm very excited for it. Mainly because it's moving to an updated platform (CD6) which will be capable of FWD, AWD, and RWD. Undoubtedly, this platform would be lighter as well.

I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions are? I know Explorer buys have diversified their thinking ever since it became a crossover.

I personally would want a fully electric option, and RWD based and so we could get the 10 speed automatic. I also would want the dual injection 3.5L Ecoboost so there wouldn't be any carbon issues.

That and I would like the Platinum Trim to include massaging seats in the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel economy isn't all that great with the 3.5L TT, so I rather have a NA v8. :)

In this order.

1. 2nd gen EcoBoost
2. RWD+AWD+10-speed transmission
3. Self driving tech
4. Adaptive suspension

It would be nice to see a hybrid or plugin-hybrid variation. I'm a big fan of the hybrid vehicles (we currently have both a Fusion Energi and Escape Hybrid), but I'm not sure I'd be interested in it with the Explorer unless they can provide an experience similar to the Sport/Platinum.

Meh on the V8. I realize there are reliability concerns with turbocharged engines and that is a turn off for some, but I do think these issues can mitigated and that the EcoBoost engines (or whatever evolution comes from them) will be the future for Ford. And you have to admit, the low end torque on them is pretty cool :)

Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping are a step in the right direction, but I still feel like they are lacking. I'd like to see some enhancements in the self driving category.

Our kid was really bummed that our 2017 doesn't have cooled seats the 2nd row. I'm not sure how'd they pull it off, but it'd make my kid happy if it were added.

It would be nice if the 3.5L EcoBoost were an option on the Limited trim.

Native support for remote start/unlock/etc via a mobile device. My Fusion Energi has this and it works pretty well.

Our kid was really bummed that our 2017 doesn't have cooled seats the 2nd row. I'm not sure how'd they pull it off, but it'd make my kid happy if it were added.
It is possible. The 2nd row buckets in my previous 2014 MKT were heated/cooled.

Peter

It is possible. The 2nd row buckets in my previous 2014 MKT were heated/cooled.

Peter

Were the seats fold-able/ designed like the Explorers? I'd really like the heated and cooled seats in the rear. It would make road trips a lot more bearable.

In this order.

1. 2nd gen EcoBoost
2. RWD+AWD+10-speed transmission
3. Self driving tech
4. Adaptive suspension

It would be nice to see a hybrid or plugin-hybrid variation. I'm a big fan of the hybrid vehicles (we currently have both a Fusion Energi and Escape Hybrid), but I'm not sure I'd be interested in it with the Explorer unless they can provide an experience similar to the Sport/Platinum.

Meh on the V8. I realize there are reliability concerns with turbocharged engines and that is a turn off for some, but I do think these issues can mitigated and that the EcoBoost engines (or whatever evolution comes from them) will be the future for Ford. And you have to admit, the low end torque on them is pretty cool :)

Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping are a step in the right direction, but I still feel like they are lacking. I'd like to see some enhancements in the self driving category.

It would be nice if the 3.5L EcoBoost were an option on the Limited trim.

Native support for remote start/unlock/etc via a mobile device. My Fusion Energi has this and it works pretty well.

I'd also really like that option and massaging seats for the rear. The Explorer is a great road trip car and long road trips could be helped with the massaging seats in at least the 2nd row seat to decrease fatigue.

I'm expecting the redesign to have native app support because the current SYNC 3 system is fully capable of this if it comes with an on board modem. Ford is just slowly introducing the system in their vehicle models.

I also like the Explorer nameplate because it's the Explorer nameplate, and I could care less for a rebadged Explorer that I have to pay more just for the name. I know the Aviator is coming out but it's like that Lincoln version of the F-150, the blackwood, it had no real history, and no one really buys it.
Luxury cars usually have a low resale value, especially Lincoln because it doesn't have that prestige among younger buyers and people who usually buys luxury cars usually want to buy them brand new.

The first two are pretty big for me. Larger gas tank, more sound deadening, better quality control.

More options available without having to go to the full tech package. Power seats should be available as an option separately. Homelink ( or Car2U Pro) visor should be standard on the higher models.

I think they should all be able to tow 5k LBS, making people pay extra for that is pretty dumb IMO. It doesn't have to come with a hitch, but there doesn't need to be an Explorer for towing and an Explorer that can't tow. I understand they want to make money, but I don't think this is a common practice and just seems cheap. Also, larger front footwell

edit: I'm, aware the non-tow package can do 2 thousand pounds, but for a 40k SUV of this size and MPG that's not good at all

1. Self driving tech = Will be partial on upper models but not 100% autonomous
  2. Hybrid/ Plugin hybrid = Will be an option but not standard
  3. Fully electric = Not in the foreseeable future, Explorer owners don't want range anxiety.
  4. Body on frame = Not going to happen
  5. FWD based + AWD + 9-speed transmission = not going to happen
  6. RWD based + AWD + 10 speed transmission = Will be standard
  7. Second generation Ecoboost 3.5L = Will be option on Sport and Platinum
  8. V8 = Not going to happen
  9. Unibody = Standard
  10. Adaptive suspension (Probably magnetic dampening) = Will be optional if not standard across line

1. Self driving tech = Will be partial on upper models but not 100% autonomous
  2. Hybrid/ Plugin hybrid = Will be an option but not standard
  3. Fully electric = Not in the foreseeable future, Explorer owners don't want range anxiety.
  4. Body on frame = Not going to happen
  5. FWD based + AWD + 9-speed transmission = not going to happen
  6. RWD based + AWD + 10 speed transmission = Will be standard
  7. Second generation Ecoboost 3.5L = Will be option on Sport and Platinum
  8. V8 = Not going to happen
  9. Unibody = Standard
  10. Adaptive suspension (Probably magnetic dampening) = Will be optional if not standard across line

You're like Santa. :D How accurate would you say these "predictions" are? I was really hoping for the RWD based + 10 speed due to the fact that the police use the Explorer and because of this, that and the power bottleneck of FWD. Either way, I can go to bed happy. 2020MY is probably the time I'll upgrade. I hope they don't phase in the goodies like they did with the F-150.

While nothing is 100% and things change by the time Job1 rolls around I would say my sources are pretty accurate.

After my bad experience buying the first model year 2011 and then having to send it back via the Lemon Law process I will wait for the second year of production when the 2021 model comes out in summer 2020.

Based on what I saw and heard from CAP it usually takes one model year to work out the issues and make changes.

Look at the tech goodies that just got released in the 18 Expedition as most if not all will be transferred over.

From my point of view:

1/ Build it with much, much better quality standards (There is no way I will buy an other Explorer with the current build quality standards)
2/ Wider seats and more placed outwards
3/ Higher ground clearance (its to low, just like a saloon car)

For the rest, the explorer is a pretty good SUV (saloon)

Were the seats fold-able/ designed like the Explorers? I'd really like the heated and cooled seats in the rear. It would make road trips a lot more bearable.
Yes, the seats were power fold and tumble.

This will be a good opportunity to meet more market requests since the Edge/Escape and one rumored smaller CUV can fill the needs for FWD based MPG and packaging needs. The Explorer with the huge police use will be able to get more power and options which in turn flow over to the consumer. Having RWD as the base design would interest me for sure and look forward to the next evolution of Explorer.

Adaptive self-aiming HID headlights in the luxury and sport configurations

I would agree with you on adaptive self-aiming headlights because Ford has this for European and other markets on their Fusion sedan. However, I'd much prefer LED than HID due to the longevity of those lights and the possibility of higher lumen output with lower wattage.

By the way, is there any way to forward this thread to Ford to see if they would take in any of these interests/ recommendations?

..By the way, is there any way to forward this thread to Ford to see if they would take in any of these interests/ recommendations?
The only avenue to submit ideas/complaints to Ford that I'm aware of and that has been published is the Ford Social site.

Peter

Had them on the 2014 MKT and don't have them on the Platinum and to tell the truth I haven't missed them at all. Actually this is the first I've even thought about them after getting the Explorer 3.5 months ago.

Peter

Had them on the 2014 MKT and don't have them on the Platinum and to tell the truth I haven't missed them at all. Actually this is the first I've even thought about them after getting the Explorer 3.5 months ago.

Peter

Good for you. Given the endless posts about HID and LED upgrades, it's pretty obvious that most people who weren't able to order new with HID headlights would prefer a headlight better than the fixed aim halogen bulbs that Ford offered (and they're not even HIR halogen bulbs (i.e., best currently available halogen tech) at that).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Base model engine with a base HP/TQ rating of 325/350. A supercharger option. An off road platform w/independent suspension and the ability to raise and lower height with a ground clearance of of 10 to 14 inches adjustable. Don't much care for a many speed tranny, 6 speed seems fine to me with an added modern transfercase. Standard HID's. Good sound system with all the other electronic bells and whistles. How about an electronic jacking system for jacking up the vehicle? Haven't seen that happen yet. Would be quite innovative, no?:thumbsup: Sorry, just can't go by the 'list' provided. Don't need a nanny car. :p

Back