Trying to figure out why such a hard idle at idle 02 4.6 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to figure out why such a hard idle at idle 02 4.6 4x4

Shtiv

Reaction score
City, State
Bothell, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hi again guys,
So I have noticed when I'm stopped and at idle, my explorer feels like its idling hard, or as my son puts it "whys it bumpy". Wondering what it could be, also sometimes the vehicle stalls why stopped at a light, and when I turn it gives a rumbling feel as well. Not sure if all issues are associated with each other. I have read some articles on the issues, but after the success of my last issue and the help I received from this forum, I figure I would post here this issue. Thanks for any help/advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the pcv elbow, these tend to collapse and create idle issues also.

if the rumble kinda sounds like the wheel is rubbing when making slow sharp turns, it most likely is a front wheel bearing. listen for a humming sound at about 35 and up

if the rumble kinda sounds like the wheel is rubbing when making slow sharp turns, it most likely is a front wheel bearing. listen for a humming sound at about 35 and up
It does kind of remind me of a bearing issue. Do you think it could be the torque converter, I feel like I had read something about that and rumbling? Also when I turn it feels like things tighten, almost as if I have super large/wide tires. This is my first SUV, however I have had trucks. But never had this type of feeling when turning.

my 05 is doing that now, waitin for the bearing to come in..ill post the results.. if i go 35 or over it sounds like a lite growling hum, switch lanes kinda hard (my case hard left) noise goes completely away.

my 05 is doing that now, waitin for the bearing to come in..ill post the results.. if i go 35 or over it sounds like a lite growling hum, switch lanes kinda hard (my case hard left) noise goes completely away.
Please do let me know what your results are. Also, when I get in and start the vehicle, I smell gas inside, but only after startup. Any ideas??? thanks!!!

what have you checked so far?

what have you checked so far?
So far nothing. Today is my day to get under the hood. Going to check IAC valve and throttle body. Not sure if those would be the culprit for the new gas smell issue?

so if you have checked all the above mentioned items ,i would go to spark plugs my number 8 was full of water and the plug was trashed, it was my drivers side closest to the fire wall.I believe the cowl above had a small leak. and was dripping on the manifold after a good rain..

you might want to start with the plugs....How many miles are on them? no spark to a plug would make a gas smell till it starts firing..but go through as much of the rest of the stuff as well..

clean your IAC valve and see if that makes difference. You might include the throttle body as well.

check the pcv elbow, these tend to collapse and create idle issues also.
Both excellent suggestions, and neither will always throw a CEL or trouble codes.
Either a faulty IAC or leaking PCV elbow could cause "a gas smell issue". Check both.
Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

so if you have checked all the above mentioned items ,i would go to spark plugs my number 8 was full of water and the plug was trashed, it was my drivers side closest to the fire wall.I believe the cowl above had a small leak. and was dripping on the manifold after a good rain..
So I finally hooked up the scanner tool. There is a misfire on cylinders 2 and 8. I removed spark plug out of what I believe is cylinder 8, and the spark plug did come out with what appears to be a bit of water. Any good ideas for removing the water??? thanks!!!

if you have compressed air. i put dielectric grease around the boot and a pea sized spot on the tip of the coil .if you dont have that type of grease, i heard vasiline would work, but i never used it on that hot of an area. pretty sure that the plugs is the issue though..please let us know how it is when you finish..ps. put new plugs in cause those are shot..

while you are at the parts store, pick up some dielectric grease, it only a few bucks

you dont need the coils, mine are fine have about 10,000 miles since the same issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you dont need the coils, mine are fine have about 10,000 miles since the same issue
These look cooler :). Is there a trick to getting the back two spark plugs in on the passenger, they're being lil' *******s and not starting.

Back