Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Looks great NickyB. Just making sure of what I see on my end, is the background gloss black and the Ford lettering is in matte? That's what I want for mine too. Wonder how they're able to mask off the word to do the different colors...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great NickyB. Just making sure of what I see on my end, is the background gloss black and the Ford lettering is in matte? That's what I want for mine too. Wonder how they're able to mask off the word to do the different colors...
The Oval is the Gloss Black and the Ford is the same color as the car (the charcoal grey as I call it). I took the whole emblem apart. I'm not sure when they switched over but the 16 emblem is "3D" meaning it is several different pieces. I took them apart and told the paint guy what parts of the emblem I wanted painted. In the beginning of this thread there are directions on how to take it apart. You can probably YouTube it as well if you know you have the 3D emblem.

Nick

Thanks for the info.

The eBay seller, downatthebuilding (tim), said that the emblems on the 2017s are different? Anyone know how it's different from a 2016 and if it's the same process to remove as detailed by member DLM916?

Anyone know where to get black sport badge with the red tips for the tailgate. I dont really want to plasty dip if i dont have to. Also looking for the black eco badge for the tailgate. Any good sites would be appreciate!
Doesn't look like anyone answered Ryan's question here. I'm looking for the same thing and saw it a week or so ago on eBay for about $18. Couldn't find that same posting but found the below which is from China and the shipping time range is pretty wide. Was hoping to get it sooner. Anyone know of another source?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-SPORT...ash=item33c0bd8b9b:g:OWAAAOSwYIxX-1VK&vxp=mtr

2017 rear Ford badge removal

I have been trying to remove the rear ford badge with no luck. I had read it is only held on with adhesive, So I began attempting to remove it the way I always do. I used a hair dryer to warm the badge up, and used some string to saw thru the adhesive. The badge does not want to come off. I feel like maybe there are some posts back there that are preventing me from getting my string to the middle area of the badge to break the bond.

I wanted to confirm my assumptions were correct before I continue trying to remove it. I'd hate to be trying to pop this thing off and find out its held on with nuts like the front one was.

Has anyone done this on a 17? Did they start mounting them differently at some point? Most of the posts I see about trying to remove the badges are from the 13-15 models.

Thanks

I appreciate the help! That is what I thought. I believe my assumption is correct, my string is not able to reach the center part of the badge, due to the pins that locate it. So I just need to get a little more physical and it should pop off. They use some crazy strong adhesive...this will be attempt three. You know what they say, third times the charm!

I wasnt a fan of Plastidip. On the 16's and above its the newer 3D Ford Emblem which can be taken apart. The rear was easy, the front was not simplest but I got it off. It requires that you break all the blue tabs on the back and I used 3M trim tape to put it back together and reattach it to the car. I went to my local body guy and had everything painted for $95.

I like how you Blacked Out your Sport Badge. Did you paint your Sport Badge? If so did you take it off then use 3M tape to put it back on or did you use adhesive.

I like how you Blacked Out your Sport Badge. Did you paint your Sport Badge? If so did you take it off then use 3M tape to put it back on or did you use adhesive.

Thank you. Yes, when I took apart the Ford emblem I basically had two piles, one was the black pile and the other was the grey pile. I removed the Sport badge and was able to get that included for no additional charge because all of this was so little. Once it came back I used 3M automotive trim tape to put everything back together and back on the X

Finally got my badges installed today. Started on it last night but didn't catch the part about using a deep well socket. Spent like 10 mins trying to force a regular size socket to fit. LOL Had to go to two Home Depots this morning to get the right socket and also picked up a mini crow bar which I used to pry out the rear badge.

Front Badge.1.JPG

Front Badge.2.JPG

Rear Badges.JPG

Front Angle View.JPG

ECF, that looks really nice. Congrats.

ECF, that looks really nice. Congrats.
Thanks!

One minor annoyance though, at certain angles, I can see the white double sided tape behind the SPORT badge. ha

I went through all 11 pages of this thread. I just took delivery of a 2013 XLT. I also just received my black front and rear FORD emblems. I did not see a pic of the back with the emblem removed but plenty of the grille. My question is does the rear have locating holes, etc. to properly align the new emblem?

I bought a SPORT model grille so when it arrives I'll attach the new emblem and mount it to my Ex.

Eltee, sorry I don't have an answer for you but I am interested to seeing pictures of your project as it comes along! I'm gathering ideas for my XLT so the more pictures, the merrier!

I went through all 11 pages of this thread. I just took delivery of a 2013 XLT. I also just received my black front and rear FORD emblems. I did not see a pic of the back with the emblem removed but plenty of the grille. My question is does the rear have locating holes, etc. to properly align the new emblem?

I bought a SPORT model grille so when it arrives I'll attach the new emblem and mount it to my Ex.

From what I remember I believe there was large holes to get you in the ballpark, then you will need to make some minute changes to get it just right. That what I remember on my 16 Sport anyway.

Look at post #230 by DMG632. The fourth pic down shows what the rear badge looks like when it's removed. It does have a couple of pins and some black tabs that snaps into the trunk. The black badges I got also had the same pins to align.

I wasnt a fan of Plastidip. On the 16's and above its the newer 3D Ford Emblem which can be taken apart. The rear was easy, the front was not simplest but I got it off. It requires that you break all the blue tabs on the back and I used 3M trim tape to put it back together and reattach it to the car. I went to my local body guy and had everything painted for $95.
I like what you've done there. I want to do the exact same thing, but on my Ruby Red. I've found a few on eBay that are painted red and a few guys on eBay that will custom paint for me, just need to pull the trigger.
Here is what I am going for:

Ford_01_zpsqvfsqbye.png

I've already removed the front license plate bracket and used push tabs, painted in RR to cover the holes, will post pics of that as well (as soon as I wash the car)

I like what you've done there. I want to do the exact same thing, but on my Ruby Red. I've found a few on eBay that are painted red and a few guys on eBay that will custom paint for me, just need to pull the trigger.
Here is what I am going for:

Ford_01_zpsqvfsqbye.png

I've already removed the front license plate bracket and used push tabs, painted in RR to cover the holes, will post pics of that as well (as soon as I wash the car)

Can't wait to see it. The reason I didn't go the ebay route was because it was a lot more money by the time you get both done. But I also got the Sport badge painted black as well. Figured it was worth the risk of taking it apart.

Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back