Only a 14-15 gallon tank?- MY17 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only a 14-15 gallon tank?- MY17

If you really want to find out what size the tank is you'll need to pack a gas can around with you. Then run the tank dry, put the couple of gallons of gas into the tank and then fill up at the first station that you come to.

Just be aware of what might happen if you do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best way to calculate fuel economy (after break-in) is to keep gas receipts and write down your odometer reading on each receipt. Then do math.
Or as mentioned use this site; http://www.fuelly.com/
That is what I've used for my vehicles.

Peter

Must be fun to run these forums and every year when new cars come out and people have the same repetitive questions, over and over again.

@Sudbury78

As others have stated it's pretty normal. I was a bit taken aback the first time I filled up (as our '11 Fusion doesn't have quite that much leeway with it), but after the first 1,500 miles (and certainly after we returned from vacation with 3,2XX miles) the range and gas mileage advertised has been what they state (we have a 16/23 3.5 NA, with 19 being average. I'm averaging about 19.5 to 20 on mixed driving.)

Must be fun to run these forums and every year when new cars come out and people have the same repetitive questions, over and over again.
Not sure if I'd call it "fun". But it does keep me busy and helps to pass the time.:D

Peter

Best way to calculate fuel economy (after break-in) is to keep gas receipts and write down your odometer reading on each receipt. Then do math.

That is the ONLY way to calculate fuel economy.

That is the ONLY way to calculate fuel economy.
That's basically what the fuelly site does. You input the numbers and it does the rest.

if anyone is interested...I've seen weird #'s but my 17 Sport is just broken in
this is from the dash mpg (lie o meter)

my 2014 Limited 20K Miles
14.8mpg - 15.2mpg commuting to work, (many traffic lights)
19.5mpg - 20mpg road tripping

My 2017 Sport 1K Miles (Livernois 93)
13.7mpg - 14.1mpg commuting
20mpg - 21mpg road tripping

My 4 door aluminum 2016 F150 will go over 500 miles on a tank of gas . . . . and it will never rust :)

Yeah, I've seen the Chevy commercial.:laugh:

I've been getting a consistent 19 around town and mid 20's on the highway. 2016 Explorer XLT std 6 cyl. I did notice that the Distance to empty was wrong for the last few fillups and was about to check with the dealer. Today I disconnected the battery to install an accessory and when done - the DTE was back to normal again.

Reviving an old thread but been scratching my head at my MPG as well. Car currently has about 1690 miles. I had noticed that my DTE kept dropping after each fill up with the most current one only showing about 230 miles. I had only driven 58 miles since the last fill-up and needed to pump again in preparation for a road trip. It took 4.5 gallons so manual calc shows 12.9 mpg. This is mostly city driving. Doesn't seem right. I get around 12 mpg mixed driving with my BMW M5 that has a V10. LOL

Reviving an old thread but been scratching my head at my MPG as well. Car currently has about 1690 miles. I had noticed that my DTE kept dropping after each fill up with the most current one only showing about 230 miles. I had only driven 58 miles since the last fill-up and needed to pump again in preparation for a road trip. It took 4.5 gallons so manual calc shows 12.9 mpg. This is mostly city driving. Doesn't seem right. I get around 12 mpg mixed driving with my BMW M5 that has a V10. LOL
That's not too far off what the member in post 29 reported and he has a 'tune'. City driving is a killer on mpg especially if the turbos kick in. Unless you drive the Explorer the same way week after week, the DTE can be misleading since it is always based on your last tank. I use Fuelly.com to track my fill ups and mileage.

Peter

Not sure we can compare a stock car to a tuned one. And I know the DTE is based on the last tank but one of my trips was an all freeway drive for over 5 hours from NorCal to SoCal and when I filled up, the DTE still dropped. The return trip was the same.

Most of my driving week over week is pretty much the same; just shuffling kids to school and back. Thought things would change after the ~1000 mile break-in period but haven't seen it. ha

We call it...Read the F-ing book! LOL. I get 27 mpg in my 2016 Explorer, so the 18.5 gallon tank doesn't bother me in the least.

That and the CAFE standards (like many vehicles that are no longer coming with a spare tire) by reducing weight to meet better MPG's

It's all about weight and every pound counts for the CAFE standards, hence the reason a smaller fuel tank, some vehicles without a spare tire, more aluminum and plastic on the body, and smaller engines with more complexities like turbos to make up for the lack of power/displacement. If I want power, I'd much rather have a larger engine without turbos. Ford or Ford dealerships will make a lot of revenue in services over the years to come from turbos, water pumps located inside the block, etc.

Last night I was driving on the freeway (flat, 70mph) and my DTE was somewhere around 60 miles to empty. Then suddenly the low fuel warning came on and said I had 3 miles to empty! WTH?! Thank goodness there was a gas station at the next exit so I stopped and filled up. I topped it off and was only able to get about 12.4 gallons in. I highly doubt there is a 6 gallon reserve. I am hoping this will get better as I break the vehicle in. Currently just under 1000 miles on the vehicle.

Sounds like you might have a broken sensor or something. Maybe see if it repeats? When nearly empty I can get 16 gallons / 60 liters. I've been doing some fuel economy tests with different grades, so I let it get pretty empty (never below 10km to next fillup). But if you *just* reset your fuel economy gauge, I could see something like that happening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last night I was driving on the freeway (flat, 70mph) and my DTE was somewhere around 60 miles to empty. Then suddenly the low fuel warning came on and said I had 3 miles to empty! WTH?! Thank goodness there was a gas station at the next exit so I stopped and filled up. I topped it off and was only able to get about 12.4 gallons in. I highly doubt there is a 6 gallon reserve. I am hoping this will get better as I break the vehicle in. Currently just under 1000 miles on the vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 3 miles to empty warning is a bit of a puzzler since you were able to only add 12.4 gallons to the tank. Do you recall what your average MPG readout was at the time?This is what the Manual says;
Low Fuel Reminder
A low fuel reminder triggers when the distance to empty reaches 75 miles (120 km), 50 miles (80 km), 25 miles (40 km), 10 miles (20 km) and 0 miles (0 km) .
Variations:
Note: The low fuel warning and distance-to-empty warning can appear at different fuel gauge positions depending on fuel economy conditions. This variation is normal.

According to the above you should have received a low fuel warnings at various intervals before you actually did. As the above member suggested, keep an eye on it and if it happens again in the same way then perhaps there is something that isn't working correctly.

Peter

Back