2011 Explorer frame rotted through | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer frame rotted through

kft

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Two months ago, I had to replace the steering rack on my 2011 Explorer. Two days ago, the steering went loose. I had to keep the wheel turned about 30 degrees right to keep the truck going straight. Back to the dealer expecting the last repair had failed, but no ... The subframe has rotted away. I can post pictures.

Someone could have been killed. Ford offers no advice or help because my truck is too old -- 2011! I am one month and four days outside the statute of limitations.

How common is this? I've read about frame rot on lots of other Ford trucks, but none this young. I know that Ford recalled trucks for precisely this problem, but only in the snow belt. Anyone have any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There have been no reports on this Forum about that issue. A picture or two would be nice to see where the problem in case that other members may wish to check their Explorer.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the trim level as requested. This info is very helpful to see in the margin on some occasions. It can also show if certain issues are more common with a particular trim. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'm having trouble uploading the pix, but will keep trying to figure that out. I'll add the trim details next (it's a Limited). The dealer tells me that he's never seen this in an Explorer. He saw it in Windstars of the 90s, but not Explorers, and has never seen it in a car this young.

was your car flooded by salt water, or is it possible that a caustic substance was somehow introduced to the under carriage? If flooded, the water would really have had to stay trapped in frame rails or other folds of the unibody for a while.

Thanks, Peter. I'm having trouble uploading the pix, but will keep trying to figure that out. I'll add the trim details next (it's a Limited). The dealer tells me that he's never seen this in an Explorer. He saw it in Windstars of the 90s, but not Explorers, and has never seen it in a car this young.
The easiest way to upload pics is to become an Elite members ($20) and you can upload right from your device using the Upload a File button. Otherwise you can use a 3rd party sharing site like Photobucket to link.
Not surprised at the dealers remarks. I've been on here since Dec. 2010 and haven't heard of a similar issue. Good luck.

Peter

I'm going to guess it's a flood write off somebody unethically resold without disclosing.

I'm wondering why 2 months ago when the work was first done, the mechanic didn't notice it. What part of the country are you in?

Any chance your Explorer had a cracked battery that caused acid to drip onto/into the subframe and dissolve it?

Back