Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 109 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I admit to having not read through all 87 pages of this thread, but of the 10 or so that I did it sounds like my 2015 Explorer Limited with 37k miles is suffering from the same crankcase fume issues. I found the link to the class action lawsuit, but it is closed to new claims now.

Can anybody who has been following this and is knowledgeable explain to me what the course of action is for a guy in my position at this point? It sounds like there is no fix and the lawsuit is pending, so am I just left here to twiddle my thumbs until Ford is expected to come up with a fix? Is there some sort of solution that I just don't know of? I already avoid hard accelerations as-is, but there are times when it's just plain necessary.

I admit to having not read through all 87 pages of this thread, but of the 10 or so that I did it sounds like my 2015 Explorer Limited with 37k miles is suffering from the same crankcase fume issues. I found the link to the class action lawsuit, but it is closed to new claims now.

Can anybody who has been following this and is knowledgeable explain to me what the course of action is for a guy in my position at this point? It sounds like there is no fix and the lawsuit is pending, so am I just left here to twiddle my thumbs until Ford is expected to come up with a fix? Is there some sort of solution that I just don't know of? I already avoid hard accelerations as-is, but there are times when it's just plain necessary.

Have you brought your vehicle in for inspection, issue documented and for the TSB to be performed?

Have you brought your vehicle in for inspection, issue documented and for the TSB to be performed?

No. I bought it about 5k miles ago, used. Is there a way to see if the previous owner did any of that?

No. I bought it about 5k miles ago, used. Is there a way to see if the previous owner did any of that?
A Ford dealer should be able to pull up any work done on the vehicle if it was done at a Ford dealership.

Peter

Just a head up to everyone, I installed a K&N air intake for the 3.5 n/a engine explorer and after the first two days the smell was gone.

A Ford dealer should be able to pull up any work done on the vehicle if it was done at a Ford dealership.

Peter

Sounds good, thanks. Is there a reference number or something I can ask about specifically so they can look for it exactly?

Sounds good, thanks. Is there a reference number or something I can ask about specifically so they can look for it exactly?
All they require is your VIN.

Hello ( i have a very bad English), i have a Ford Explorer 2015 with the exhaust smell in the cabin like most people in this community .Yesterday I put a Borla exhaust system in my explorer and the smell is 80% better, the smell only came in the first-second hard acceleration and is less suffocating , after those acceleration i cant smell anything in hard acceleration , the exhaust is more large ( like 1-2 inch ) , maybe that is the problem , sorry for the bad english ;)

Hello ( i have a very bad English), i have a Ford Explorer 2015 with the exhaust smell in the cabin like most people in this community .Yesterday I put a Borla exhaust system in my explorer and the smell is 80% better, the smell only came in the first-second hard acceleration and is less suffocating , after those acceleration i cant smell anything in hard acceleration , the exhaust is more large ( like 1-2 inch ) , maybe that is the problem , sorry for the bad english ;)
Welcome to the Forum Manuel.:wave:
Glad hear that you were able to make it better. As for your English, no problem at all.

Peter

The burnt hair smell entering your cabin is caused from the rear auxiliary HVAC . The fumes enter the cabin when negative air pressure is created inside the cabin and the HVAC then acts as a vacuum to draw the fumes in. Pressurization of the cabin is affected by many factors but the occurrence of the fumes entering the cabin would be greatest after hard acceleration or WOT as that is when the most gases are created by the engine and the greatest vacuum effect created by the increased speed of the vehicle generally followed by reducing speed to normal (ex: WOT off ramp onto highway or passing a vehicle and resuming normal speed). If your Ex does not have the rear aux HVAC than I don't believe one would experience what so many of us have and still do inside the cabin of our Explorer's...........which would help explain why some experience it and others don't. Hope this helps.
Here is a link to the settlement for 2011-2015 Explorers: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/dbr/PlaintiffsUnopposedMotion.pdf

Took my Ex into the Ford Dealer about sync problems that I am having, and the service manager mentioned that they are also waiting for exhaust system parts to come in so Ford can fix my "Exhaust smell in the rear cabin".
Has anyone got a third TSB for the exhaust smell?
Has anyone had this new exhaust system work done on their Ex in the last few weeks?
89imf mentioned the lawsuit, but I had not seen any new TSB come of it.

Wow!!!! I saw this on the CBS News broadcast tonight during prime-time! That was INCREDIBLE video of the cops Ford Explorer SUV seemingly just drift across the roadway, up over the median, almost hit trees and smash into the other side of the road - missing oncoming traffic.

Also incredible that police departments are now installing CO2 detectors in their Ford Explorer's!!

Where can I get one? Should I get one??

Can you say Firestone Tire - Ford Explorer fiasco all over again!!!

Local news ran a segment on it tonight including a local woman as well as this accident.

Do you have a link to your local news station? Or the call sign - maybe we can look it up and link to it here - I think more information at this point is better than none that we are getting from Ford - I guess their lawyers figure a few crashes (and maybe a few deaths) are cheaper in the long run than a few lawsuits vs. recall to fix this issue.

Yup, I saw the CBS report as well. So the woman had a 2014 with the issue, then got a 2017 and claims to still have the issue.

And the cop said that he blacked out and that all tests ran could not come up with a reason on why he blacked out from the hospital/doctors

CO and CO2 sometimes get confused. CO (Carbon monoxide) is what's at issue with car exhaust. A home CO detector is rather slow to react, and will only alarm after minutes to tens of minutes of elevated CO. For checking levels in a car, a fast-acting hand-held type detector is better.
After lots of heavy freeway acceleration in my 2016, I stopped to fill up with gas. When I got back inside, there was a strong sulfur smell. (note that CO has no odor, but other exhaust gases do). I have an appropriate CO meter and am going to check this out. I'd read about the issue in 2015 and earlier models, but thought the 2016 was not affected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a link to your local news station? Or the call sign - maybe we can look it up and link to it here - I think more information at this point is better than none that we are getting from Ford - I guess their lawyers figure a few crashes (and maybe a few deaths) are cheaper in the long run than a few lawsuits vs. recall to fix this issue.

No, I don't unfortunately. Someone else told me about it knowing I have an Explorer Sport.

CO and CO2 sometimes get confused. CO (Carbon monoxide) is what's at issue with car exhaust. A home CO detector is rather slow to react, and will only alarm after minutes to tens of minutes of elevated CO. For checking levels in a car, a fast-acting hand-held type detector is better.
After lots of heavy freeway acceleration in my 2016, I stopped to fill up with gas. When I got back inside, there was a strong sulfur smell. (note that CO has no odor, but other exhaust gases do). I have an appropriate CO meter and am going to check this out. I'd read about the issue in 2015 and earlier models, but thought the 2016 was not affected.

Same with myself. I should have known better to do such a thing, too...

I'm sure FoMoCo is trying to wait and weather the complaints, etc until the next Explorer design which won't have the issue.

I'll be curious to see what your results are with the CO meter.

Back