Sport Grill, Headlights and Tailights on an XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Grill, Headlights and Tailights on an XLT?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I was wondering if you're able to put a 2015 Sport grill, headlights and tailights on a 2015 XLT model? I would assume the parts are interchangeable or is there something different with the electrical wiring or mounts on the lights. What about mounting the grill - is there anything different? Is it pain to remove/install?

Also, is a Limited grill interchangeable with an XLT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you and I are shooting for the same thing...convert the outside of an XLT/Limited to look like a Sport.

Here's a super helpful post about taking off the grill
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415328

Here's a link to Sport parts...grill, healights, etc
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/explorer-exterior-accessories-c-29_97_127.html

The blackout treatment headlights are $1200. I can't see a big difference in the blackout headlights and the regular headlights. Is it just the background of the headlight that is black?

I'm considering putting a sport grille on a 2011 limited...

They're all interchangeable. You cannot use the Sport headlights on a Limited with factory HIDs, however. That's the only limitation.

I think you and I are shooting for the same thing...convert the outside of an XLT/Limited to look like a Sport.

Here's a super helpful post about taking off the grill
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415328

Here's a link to Sport parts...grill, healights, etc
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/explorer-exterior-accessories-c-29_97_127.html

The blackout treatment headlights are $1200. I can't see a big difference in the blackout headlights and the regular headlights. Is it just the background of the headlight that is black?

Well the grill removal doesn't seem that hard. But, will the Sport grill bolt right on and will the 2013 Sport grill on that site fit a 2015?

As far as the headlights go, yeah just a black background but I think it looks awesome. Looks likes it's smoked. I can't believe the headlights are $1,200. That's insane and maybe not worth the expense.

The grille should be the same and bolt up just fine. As for the headlights, there are ways to get around purchasing new sport lights. If you've got another vehicle, and the gonads, you can pull the headlights, split them open and black it yourself. There is also a number of companies that do custom work on lights that can do this for 3-400 dollars.

I can't recall any specific companies off hand, but you can do a google search and yield good results.

they are all interchangeable but it is going to cost some cash. What kind of explorer are you looking to get?

I'm considering a 2015 XLT with leather, moonroof and tow package. But, I'm so torn if I should also go with a 2016. Not sure if I can wait that long though because my current Explorer needs a gallon of antifreeze every week :-(

I'm considering a 2015 XLT with leather, moonroof and tow package. But, I'm so torn if I should also go with a 2016. Not sure if I can wait that long though because my current Explorer needs a gallon of antifreeze every week :-(

I was in the same predicament .... 2007 xlt was on it's 5th radiator; had just replaced it 3-4 months ago and it started leaking at the top seams again. I had enough.

I got the 2015 XLT with Sport Appearance package; 20" painted rims, tow, moonroof, dark grill & explorer letters, two tone leather seats. I love it.

After reading most of the blog entries for the past 6 or so months, the Explorer seems to have gotten better from 2011 to 2015; as do most later model cars of the same generation.

I'm sure you could work out a deal on top of the incentives that are offered.... dealers want to get rid of the 2015 to make room for 2016.

I was in the same predicament .... 2007 xlt was on it's 5th radiator; had just replaced it 3-4 months ago and it started leaking at the top seams again. I had enough.

I got the 2015 XLT with Sport Appearance package; 20" painted rims, tow, moonroof, dark grill & explorer letters, two tone leather seats. I love it.

After reading most of the blog entries for the past 6 or so months, the Explorer seems to have gotten better from 2011 to 2015; as do most later model cars of the same generation.

I'm sure you could work out a deal on top of the incentives that are offered.... dealers want to get rid of the 2015 to make room for 2016.

Thanks man. I'm really exciting when I finally get it. I have not bought a brand new car in 12 years. I just don't know if the 2016 changes are worth it or not?

Will the tail lights on a 2013 sport fit a 2011 limited? Is the wiring the same?

I know this is an old thread.

I just replaced the grille on my 2013 XLT with a black SPORT grille. Easy swap and I think it looks great. My question was airflow. Since the XLT and the Sport have different engines and the grilles have different airflow, is there any cause for concern? Do I need to open up any of the closed off areas behind the honeycomb?

Just got my XLT this month so I am being overly cautious with everything. :)

Thanks for any information. I DID search but could not find anything specific.

I know this is an old thread.

I just replaced the grille on my 2013 XLT with a black SPORT grille. Easy swap and I think it looks great. My question was airflow. Since the XLT and the Sport have different engines and the grilles have different airflow, is there any cause for concern? Do I need to open up any of the closed off areas behind the honeycomb?

Just got my XLT this month so I am being overly cautious with everything. :)

Thanks for any information. I DID search but could not find anything specific.
I doubt that there is anything to worry about. I believe others have done the same swap as well. The Sport has extra cooling for the turbos via a cutout in the lower valance.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/lower-grill-cutout.367234/#post-3240847
Why not post a picture in the following thread of your mod? http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-5th-gen-today.430705/

Peter

What about using Plastidip for grill. I at one point thought about using Plastidip on grill. If I do not like it, just peel it off( I hope). If it looks good then go the expense of actual sport grill. Has anyone tried this?

crrobbins

What about using Plastidip for grill. I at one point thought about using Plastidip on grill. If I do not like it, just peel it off( I hope). If it looks good then go the expense of actual sport grill. Has anyone tried this?

crrobbins

When I was doing research on swapping out my grille I saw at least a couple of posts on this site where folks did dip their grilles black. One thread even had someone doing it without totally removing it from the vehicle. All looked good.

I just bought a 2017 Platinum (shadow black) and was wondering if I could replace the grill with the Sport grill? How much would a sport grill cost (I'm in Canada)? I'd also consider painting the existing grill black but am not sure how that would look and how much it would cost to get it done.

I just bought a 2017 Platinum (shadow black) and was wondering if I could replace the grill with the Sport grill? How much would a sport grill cost (I'm in Canada)? I'd also consider painting the existing grill black but am not sure how that would look and how much it would cost to get it done.
Just checked out LevittownFordParts.com and they list the black grille for a 2017 Sport at $496.73. You would have to add the shipping and conversion costs to that.
They are a Forum vendor. http://www.levittownfordparts.com/explorer-exterior-accessories-c-29_382_385.html
At today's rate that grille would be $671.26 + shipping and any duties/taxes that may be due.
A Canadian site lists it at $889.08. https://www.eastgatefordpartscanada.ca/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=grille

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back