'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help!

No, I did not. Should I.

Yes you should always disconnect the neg terminal when working with electrical/electronic parts. Try disconnecting the neg terminal for 20 or so minutes to reset the computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advise, this should solve my service engine light also.

Hi guys, I unhooked negative terminal installed new 4x4 module waited 30 minutes and rehooked negative terminal. Still has the same problem. Brake light fuse still blows and 4 wheel low light stay on. Have the two modules out and circuit boards are completely different and the new one says explore non-ivd and the old one does not. Any suggestions

Hi guys, I unhooked negative terminal installed new 4x4 module waited 30 minutes and rehooked negative terminal. Still has the same problem. Brake light fuse still blows and 4 wheel low light stay on. Have the two modules out and circuit boards are completely different and the new one says explore non-ivd and the old one does not. Any suggestions

Mine was doing the same thing with the wrong part. What are the numbers on the "original" module & the "new" module?

No, I haven't fixed it yet. I put it on the back burner since the nice weather arrived. The snow will be flying soon so it must be addressed. I have a feeling it is the shift motor. The problem is that I had to move and now I have nowhere to work on my Ex. I don't know what I'm going to do but I know that my Ex goes nowhere in the snow with only rear wheel drive. :dunno:

Got it fixed!! :biggthump After changing the module & the switch, it turned out to be a ground on the shift motor. :confused: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!! :bounce:

Hey Big Rondo, After many tries with the dealership they insisted that the module I purchased was the right one according to my serial number. After reading this web page I was convinced that the part was still wrong. I took my old part to the dealership and got them to cross over my old part number. To there amazement, the old part number was completely different than the number that the serial number called for. This was the first time they had this problem. For all other ford explorer owners , my old part number is 1l24-7h473-ah and this number crosses over to the new number 1l24-7h417-al. This module does not have to be programmed. I just plugged in the new module and now have all 4 wheel drive options. Again I would like to thank you for all your advice.

Hey Big Rondo, After many tries with the dealership they insisted that the module I purchased was the right one according to my serial number. After reading this web page I was convinced that the part was still wrong. I took my old part to the dealership and got them to cross over my old part number. To there amazement, the old part number was completely different than the number that the serial number called for. This was the first time they had this problem. For all other ford explorer owners , my old part number is 1l24-7h473-ah and this number crosses over to the new number 1l24-7h417-al. This module does not have to be programmed. I just plugged in the new module and now have all 4 wheel drive options. Again I would like to thank you for all your advice.

Good deal :biggthump No go out and kick up some snow, eh?

hey all. so ive been trying to see what my issue is. when i first started my 4x4high and 4x4low lights would blink 3 times every 2 minutes. i read to reset the electronic by disconnecting the battery and turn key on for 10 minutes. then the 4x4 worked for like a week. then the lights started blinking again. so then i took out my 4x4cm to get all numbers off of it then installed in back in. then i did another reset and now i have neither the 4x4high or 4x4low lights come on or blink. i talked to the dealer and he said they replace more 4x4cm then shift motors. my issue is if it was the motor then why did it work when i did the first reset. would make me believe it is the 4x4cm. am i right?

my 4x4cm part # is 2c54-7h473-bd
is there any universal part # that would work because i cant find an exact match. and i dont want to throw away $200 if this might not be my issue
for the one who said it was a ground problem on the shift motor do you know where that wire is located.

thanks for who all can help me

hey all. so ive been trying to see what my issue is. when i first started my 4x4high and 4x4low lights would blink 3 times every 2 minutes. i read to reset the electronic by disconnecting the battery and turn key on for 10 minutes. then the 4x4 worked for like a week. then the lights started blinking again. so then i took out my 4x4cm to get all numbers off of it then installed in back in. then i did another reset and now i have neither the 4x4high or 4x4low lights come on or blink. i talked to the dealer and he said they replace more 4x4cm then shift motors. my issue is if it was the motor then why did it work when i did the first reset. would make me believe it is the 4x4cm. am i right?

my 4x4cm part # is 2c54-7h473-bd
is there any universal part # that would work because i cant find an exact match. and i dont want to throw away $200 if this might not be my issue
for the one who said it was a ground problem on the shift motor do you know where that wire is located.

thanks for who all can help me

Welcome to the forum! :salute:

No universal number. The part is VIN specific. The blinking of the 4x4 lights and pattern have no meaning. It is telling you that there is a problem and that's all, it doesn't tell you what the problem is.

tweezlick, this is your lucky day! When I was troubleshooting my 4x4 issue, I purchased a 4x4CM from eBay. I knew it wouldn't work with my Ex, but for $40 I figured it was worth a shot. As expected, it didn't work. I still have it.

Now, where the hell am I going with this? Well here we go! The module I have from eBay is the replacement for yours. It's yours for the asking. Free of charge, no strings attached. PM me if you want it!!!

--- Rondo

Rhondo, its guys like you that give this site a good name.

Rhondo, its guys like you that give this site a good name.

Thank you. tweezlick has PM'd me and I will be sending it out. I hope it fixes the problem.

Ok so I'm bringing this thread back from the grave. I am seeming to have the same problem all of you had. I just picked up an 02 explorer and after a few weeks the 4x4 light would blink 3 times. Searched he forum and decided it may be the hall sensors on the transfer case. Replaced both sensors and changed the fluid. Disconnected the battery for a reset and now the 4x4 lights don't come on at all!! So I'm assuming it's the control moduel. I pulled mine and searched the part number. My question is does anyone know what the last 2 letters mean? I found a few on eBay with the same part number but the last 2 letters are different.

Mines 2C54-7H473-BD. Will one with the last two letters being different work?

The snow is going to be on its way very soon up here in northern oh and I would like to get this sorted before I actually need the 4 wheel drive! Thanks in advance.

Ok well found the exact part number moduel on eBay. Hope it works out!

Big Rondo, I didn't have time to read the whole thread here, but I feel I am where you were. I have a 2002 Explorer EB that has part number 1L24-7H473-AD. I purchased a used board from a local dealer and he plugged in the vehicle information and came up with a part number: 2C54-7H473-BE. I did as you. I had vehicle powered off, with no keys in the ignition. Removed the part from behind my glove box. Mounted the replacement part. As I was plugging in the harnesses (correctly: grey to grey and black to black) I heard my CD changer going... I get everything buttoned up and climb into the drivers seat to start the truck... all seemed fine. Except the truck wouldn't change or make sounds with the 4x4 buttons (other than the 4x4L light was on {solid, no blinking}). Then I tried to put it into drive... locked into park with no option to shift. OH, and I also noticed as I opened the driver door, the beeping sound was going off like I left my lights on or keys in the ignition (which neither were the case). So I am going back to exchange my part for the proper part number (if they have it). What other than remove one of the battery cables should I do tomorrow? What did they have to do to get your shifter to allow past park? Is that tied to a fuse 17 or 18?? This is an odd situation compared to all my doings with vehicles. Thanks Big Rondo for your wisdom!! :)

Well, I did it, I finally caved and drove the truck into the shop. I can say the mechanic has earned his money... I've given it my best (which when it comes to electronic components in vehicles, I am out of my elements).

The drive to the dealership was interesting... I utilized my newly found trick... under the steering column is a little sliding door. It exposes a slot big enough to fit a key in to push a lever inside the column overriding the security lock on the shifter lever. Now I have the replacement 4x4 CM in place, replaced blown fuse (#27) and have in hand the brake switch. I chose not to touch the brake switch due to a recall needing rewiring and I have remote starter installed which is on the line with the brake switch. So the 4x4 lights are not working at all now... off to the shop I drive... yeah, it was a fun 6 1/2 mile drive going around 25-30 miles per hour... Which here is an interesting bonus!! My speedometer is saying I am driving around 80-90 MPH!! It feels like I am in 4x4Low... FUN FUN FUN

... update ... Truck is still in the shop, but the conversation with the head mechanic is this... I did a good thing finding a Control Module with the same part number, however there are three different programming configurations which need to be programmed. He was uncertain which I had and which I needed, so he recommended buying a new "correct" version with the proper files. He has to bring in an outside source/person to program it to match my truck... He said it will be around $600 to complete the job... truck is not out of the shop yet, so the final number is still to be heard. Let the Fun continue

Well, I did it, I finally caved and drove the truck into the shop. I can say the mechanic has earned his money... I've given it my best (which when it comes to electronic components in vehicles, I am out of my elements).

The drive to the dealership was interesting... I utilized my newly found trick... under the steering column is a little sliding door. It exposes a slot big enough to fit a key in to push a lever inside the column overriding the security lock on the shifter lever. Now I have the replacement 4x4 CM in place, replaced blown fuse (#27) and have in hand the brake switch. I chose not to touch the brake switch due to a recall needing rewiring and I have remote starter installed which is on the line with the brake switch. So the 4x4 lights are not working at all now... off to the shop I drive... yeah, it was a fun 6 1/2 mile drive going around 25-30 miles per hour... Which here is an interesting bonus!! My speedometer is saying I am driving around 80-90 MPH!! It feels like I am in 4x4Low... FUN FUN FUN

Okay, problem is now behind me, but lessons learned: 1. Don't attempt to change out the 4x4 control module... it isn't a part swap. There is programming needed along with configurations to be done by a trained person. 2. I think my attempt to do it myself cost me more in the long run... Blown fuse for shifter lock mechanism and a Control Module I couldn't return, so I ended up having to purchase a new one... end result with labor (which the shop gave me a discount) came to $850. Again, lesson learned.

Rob, sorry to hear that you had so much trouble fixing this problem. If you read through some of the 4x4 threads in here you will find that many people with 2002s, myself included, fixed this issue by replacing the 4x4 CM with no programming required. What is the build date of your Explorer? I'm guessing it was built before March 2002.

Back