Sticking Rear Door Locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rocks97

Reaction score
City, State
the mile hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Heya, This is my first post so thanks for any advice! I have had my 97 Explorer XLT since brand new and honestly the truck hasn't had any major issues since new. Well now the door locks on the rear doors have a mind of their own. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, leaving passengers or a crying baby locked in the back. Sometimes opening them from the outside handle works, sometimes that doesn't either. Playing the lock, un-lock game seems to work after twenty tries. I pulled one of the panels off and of course had a hard time recreating the scenario. I say once in every seven times either the left or right rear door wont open. I lubed the hell out of the latch and linkages with white grease and it still will do it. Once unlocked, the inside door handle will not open the door nor will pulling up on the lock knob..Any ideas? I don't see a broken spring in the latch and the linkages seem ok.. This is driving me nuts! Thanks for any advice!

I am having the same problem with the driver side front door on my 99 Mountaineer. I subscribed in case someone has an answer.

This has been a lifetime problem with my '99 EB. Have not yet found a solution. I did see somewhere suggested that it is the lock actuator. Have not replaced it yet to see if this fixes the problem.

Back