Codes 332 and 176

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Hey guys,

I just had my cam synchronizer. upper intake gasket and lower intake gaskets replaced and now I'm chasing two codes that keep popping up

I'm getting a code 332 which is insufficient EGR flow, and also a 176 bank 1 lean. Weird part is that these codes set together from what I can tell.

I dove into it earlier and tested the EGR itself with a vacuum pump and it held 15in of vacuum and ran rough, and I checked the vacuum line that feeds the valve itself as well as the one that feeds the control solenoid and found no obvious breaks in the vac line. Of course the source at the vacuum tree is also fine.

Anyone ever see these codes set together and have any idea what it might be???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably have a cracked EGR pipe, most likely at the corrugated/flexible section. If it was just insufficient flow I would say pull the valve and ream out the opening in the manifold to remove built up carbon. The Lean Bank in this case probably indicates that air is being drawn into the exhaust and causing the O2 sensor to read lean.

Use Kroil or a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF on both ends of the EGR pipe for several days before trying to remove. If you can't loosen the lower end, cut the pipe off with a hacksaw blade and use a socket

Ill check out the EGR pipe itself and report back.

Ok an update.

I didn't find any holes or cracks in the EGR line, but I DO think that the lean code is real, as it started pinging under heavy load now. So where do we go with a lean code, an EGR code and pinging?? Im thinking of throwing a fuel pressure tester on it and testing under load

Also, I'll throw this in there, I unplugged the MAF for giggles and it started running so rich that it was misfiring and making major fuel fumes. Like running so bad/rich the idle dropped off and there was at least a one cylinder dead miss

Its easy to clean the MAF. Just remove the two safety screws on top and carefully spray the thin wires with MAF cleaner or electrical cleaner. I would not try a Q tip, only spray.

My next suggestion would be a leaky lower intake gasket which would account for the lean bank 1 and reduced EGR flow if the intake vacuum is not as great.

My next suggestion would be a leaky lower intake gasket which would account for the lean bank 1 and reduced EGR flow if the intake vacuum is not as great.

Upper and lower intake gaskets were part of what got replaced. 20 inches of manifold vacuum and a steady needle

Is it possible the vacuum lines are reversed to the pressure feedback sensor after the intake gasket was replaced?

You may have a bad Bank 1 EGR Sensor as I don't think 3 injectors that all happen to be on one side of the engine are all equally restricted.

If you replace the DPFE Sensor get the Airtex/Wells brand, It is a totaly re-engineered part.

X2 Replace the DPFE and make sure the O2 sensors are plugged in. They were probably disconnected when doing the manifold.

Alright guys gimme a few days here to run some checks. To recap, its got new upper and lower gaskets, fuel rail gaskets, new CPS.

I did throw and airtex wells DPFE at it with new hoses because I know thats a common failure area, but no dice there. The EGR valve itself was tested with a vacuum pump, it holds vacuum and the engine runs rough etc so not replacing that for now.

Up next is going to be powers and grounds to the EVR as well as another vacuum check to make sure the lines arent leaking.

I knew digging into this thing was going to be an adventure because everything Im pulling off of it is original parts. The lower intake gasket was the only one that didnt look trashed when it came off. The valve covers and upper intake came off like puzzle pieces :p

Hey you know what, double check the plug wires are in the correct firing order.

Alrighty more results to share. Cleared the computer and managed to get it smogged before the light came back on.

Results: Pass with flying colors
ueRbbpI.jpg

The new DPFE fixed the 332 code as of right now. But I'm still getting the 176 and pinging under heavy load, so still have some work to do.

Seeing as its pinging I'm pretty confident that the O2 is seeing a real lean event, as old as the sensor may be. Puzzling thing is, if it were actually running lean wouldn't I see much worse numbers?

Your Hydrocarbons are 10 PPM below average, the engine is in fact running lean.

Yes, I have seen those codes set together.

I would lean (pun intended) toward what Centaurious said -- ream out the mani port where the valve is. You may have carbon buildup in the intake manifold, and it doesn't take much carbon to set off 332, and it can be inconsistent. Insuff flow can lead to pinging due to higher than normal combustion temperatures. As you probably know a properly functioning EGR system produces lower combustion temps.

Every code I've pulled is KOEO

Back