Wanted - Replacing EB Steering Wheel Control Buttons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Replacing EB Steering Wheel Control Buttons

Parts or services wanted

vandy96

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Team - Anyone have experience replacing the control buttons on an EB steering wheel? The rubber has gotten sticky on mine and most of the white text has rubbed off over time. I cannot seem to be able to find these parts anywhere online. Most of the parts I find are for the XLT that are mounted on the side of the steering wheel. View media item 909View media item 908View media item 907

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Vandy96,
Replacing those controls sets are easy. First you will need to remove the negative lead on the battery terminal. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes or disconnect both terminals, (negative first), and touch them together and discharge the system instantly. You will need watch repair screwdrivers, 2 of them, standard blade not phillips.
Then take your screwdrivers and carefully insert them in the pictured corners and pry them out to you. The connection leads are at the bottom of the control buttons and you will need needle nose pliers to disconnect them, there is not a whole lot of extra wire on those controls. To replace just re-connect the wires and put them back in with just your fingers, you will feel them snap in. There you have it. Please let the group know if this works for you. Good luck!
Loquetus

2017-02-23 12.14.15.jpg

The steering wheel control switches came in many other models that are shaped the same and will attach. I have only bought one pair, NOS for the earlier model Town Cars, and I haven't yet compared the electrical connectors.

For the 98-01 Explorers you could start by finding the one part number for each of the pair, and hunting them easier that way. Those parts would definitely work, and there are lots of used ones on eBay all the time.

I searched through the others which came in Town Cars, CV's and GM's. I also noticed a very interesting version on early 2000's TC's etc. There is a version that has a titanium edge color(the plastic housing looks like a light colored metal). I would like those the best for my black steering wheel if I was after the green color. I want the blue for my 98. The new parts as I recall on eBay would cost in the $40-$75 range, each, that was a few years back.

There is a version that has a titanium edge color(the plastic housing looks like a light colored metal)
You are correct. I saw a set of titanium ones one ebay some time back but lost them to some one who was faster at the buy it now button. You don't see those ever anymore, although I have not checked lately.
Loquetus

These wont be easy to find.
Auto Wrecker will be your best bet.

Keep at it Dono, and while browsing find me a NOS medium gray steering wheel(car). I got one with an 02 Marauder column, but I'd like a nicer wheel. The other colors are kind of available, I haven't seen a gray one yet(it's for my Lincoln). The switches may work for any car or truck, but the wheels only work for the same type, car or truck.

Back