• Register Today It's free!

Explorer dana44 ttb swap problem

LocalGem92

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi guys brand new to the forum this is my first post. This site has helped me a lot and I plan on doing a full write up when I finish my build.View media item 835 Right now I've finished swapping in the axle. But I've got drastic changes in my height 5-6" with little to no power being applied when it changes. This is changing my camber and toe severely when i'm driving. i'm just trying to find a way to keep it under control. Any suggestions would help. Here's what I have done I've got home made radius arms and rough country 4" drop brackets I took off my broncoII. I extended the 44 beams 1" to make them fit. I have new pivot bushings. Along with stock extended Y link. For springs I've got 5.5" wildhorse springs with a 236/375 coil rate. I can move my coil buckets up and down also to adjust height. Now my problem is I have drastic changes in camber when i'm driving or parked. The springs will extend and compress on there own. Like its possessed. Here's a shot of it standing high after a drive. (Before this I floored it in reverse to try and bring the front end down before I parked it next to my truck.)View media item 837 Next is it not five min later in my drive way. (I rolled in reveres into my drive way, so no gas was applied and it was still standing up when I got out.) View media item 838 And here's a shot of it in the morning where it has leveled itself out.View media item 836 Does anyone know whats causing this and how to stop it?

It looks like you have a possessed truck! :) LOL I hope you are able to find out what it wrong.

Are your springs and shocks worn out? Are your radius arm bracket holes wallowed out?
Are the camber bushings damaged?

Something is moving on you, or decompressing, for it to move like that parked. I guess the tires could be cooling off too, but for it to move THAT much seems like shock / spring movement. Surely tire pressure change alone would not do that.

With all that custom work, it might be time to take it to a really good TTB alignment guy.

It sounds to me like your toe(alignment) is off. It doesn't take much toe adjustment to cause the issue you are seeing. If you drive forward and the front raises you have too much toe in, if you drive forward and the front drops you have too much toe out. Just a few turns of the adjustment sleeves will make a big difference. When you have soft springs the effect is even more pronounced.

Back