• Register Today It's free!

Low Speed Clunk

bigA

Reaction score
City, State
Valrico, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
Everytime I leave in the morning I get a little clunk and vibration in the steering wheel. As I turn out of my driveway and begin to bring the wheel back to centered it clunks. Not quite as noticable in the evening when I back out and pull out of my spot from work. Other than that, I never notice the issue again. It only when it's been sitting for some time. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a front shock absorber. Was much less noticeable at first, but is pretty much back to the way it was before. Anybody else have this noise when they straighten out the steering wheel first thing in the morning?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your ABS module energizing. Happens at every startup once you start to drive.. roughly 5mph you can feel it in your foot brake/pedals and steering wheel. It will only do it once at every startup.

I'd link you to it if I wasn't on my cell where it is more difficult to search. Will link you when I get home.

As blwnsmoke mentioned, the ABS self check might be what you are experiencing. I can say that I never really notice it unless I am really paying attention to it. It appears to be more noticeable in some than others.

Peter

+1 more for the ABS Self Test theory. How fast are you going when this happens?

IIRC, I believe there is a check at low speed and one at higher speed (45 MPH or so) where the clunk can be discerned. Normal and can be ignored.

It happens as soon as I straighten out the steering wheel. So maybe 3-5 mph at the most.

Try it going straight but as I stated, sounds like the abs. It does it every startup at about that speed. Enough where when I'm backing out of my driveway (300 feet) I am not going fast enough but once I go forward I hear/feel it within a few seconds of accelerating. Again, completely normal and the fact that it only does it once for you after startup and that is all, I believe that is all it is.

Keep your radio and HVAC off and listen for it.

Our ABS does a self test?!?!? Holy hell all these years I thought there was something wrong with my truck! I replaced ABS sensors and everything, pulled the rear cover and checked the rear abs ring, checked all sorts of grounds etc. Someone shoot me in the face now.

Mine is VERY noticeable. I can easily hear it and feel it in the brake pedal/steeringwheel and it dims my headlights at night. I also get a clunk when I come out of my driveway backing up at low speed but it seems to happen when I hit the steep part of my road once I transition from my driveway, so I think it's suspension related for me.

If it helps I've replaced all 4 shocks and removed the 5th on the rear, did all wheel bearings and replaced my front ball joints and rear leaf spring bushings, all sway bar endlinks etc. Still have clunks (torsion bar pads worn out maybe? I only have 155k though so I doubt it). I've written it off to my truck being old and I no longer care. Hopefully this gives you some things to check.

Oh and check your rear ends u bolts. My old 99 was LOOSE! The damn rear was moving around in the truck. Boy did that thing drive better on the highway after the rear end was tightened up lol.

Our ABS does a self test?!?!?
I believe all vehicles equipped with ABS have the 'self check' at low speed upon startup. In the vehicles I've had it has been so smooth that I don't even notice it.

Peter

I've owned probably 15 or more vehicles with ABS and NEVER heard or felt anything. My 96 Explorer is the only one I've ever felt before. This truck has been a nightmare since day 1 for me. Someone beat it into the ground and I stupidly bought it thinking it was a good deal. Well I guess I can stop worrying about the pump kicking on now lol.

It sounds like frontal Sway bar End Links. I was observing the same with my Explorer and took it to my trusted Hyundai Dealer mechanic. They ended up ordering Napa Brand Front Sway bar links and put it in on Saturday noon. They couldn't find the OEM part that day. By Sunday, the clunking came back albeit not a lower speed anymore but more so on uneven road and even louder. Got the car back into the dealership today, and found that Napa Branded End Links were completely rotten and oozing grease. Replaced them with the OEM FoMoCo End links which are improved upon design over the OEM's from 2015 which came fitted in my new X. Clunking has completely disappeared as I tested by driving it hard on unpaved road. No issues whatsoever and silent as if the X came out brand new from the showroom. I have the photographs of the original FoMoCo Sway bar links which went bad only after 39,000 miles on my odometer, and then the new Napa one's too which didn't last 30 miles, in case someone is interested.

I have the photographs of the original FoMoCo Sway bar links which went bad only after 39,000 miles on my odometer, and then the new Napa one's too which didn't last 30 miles, in case someone is interested.

I'd be interested in seeing the pics of the NAPA links. I've seen the OE links, as they went bad early on my Explorer as well. Replaced them with MOOG links.

I'd be interested in seeing the pics of the NAPA links. I've seen the OE links, as they went bad early on my Explorer as well. Replaced them with MOOG links.
I believe I can only send them to you via email...right?

You can post them here with an Elite Membership, or using a photo sharing site and providing the link. I did receive the pics you sent me directly and posted the NAPA link here. Thank you. Just wondering what do you mean by "rotten and oozing grease" I do see in the photos that the grease fittings were not installed in the holes of the ball stud housings which would allow grease to come out of those holes. Was this a picture taken before installing or after?
IMG_1463 (1).JPG

Pictures were taken out of the White card box right before installing them. The installer did put on the grease fittings and then filled the grease inside those couplings. I shouldn't have used the word rotten. If you see there is a nut-bolt on both ends, and those bolts were tight when these links were put on, on Saturday. This morning when we replaced it with OEM's, these Napa ones were full of grease. I am not entirely sure if the grease was coming out of the rubber or if it was oozing out of grease fittings. Mechanic had to clean it all up before pulling them out and dispatching them back to Napa. Also the end links were moving very freely and they were not as hard as they were when new.

Thanks. I know those NAPA links have a grease purge designed into the blue boots. It would either be a very small slit in the boot or something more pronounced. This is to allow grease to escape and prevent the boot from getting blown off the housing if too much grease gets pumped in as well as purge older grease. Sometimes it can relieve itself at the top of the boot as well resulting in grease at the bottom of the threaded ballstud. I know the factory that makes those links and I know their quality and I'm surprised these gave you issues. I had both my links replaced under warranty and those links started going bad as well which was why I replaced them with MOOG. I hope the newer style OE links solve your issue.

Ok. It seems like that after replacing those end links with OEM, the 95% of the sound is eliminated. The remainder 5% of the sound still exists and it doesn't sound on pot holes but on uneven road where the level of left wheel might be higher or lower compared to the right wheel. I still hear a clunk when on those type of patch. According to my mechanic the bushings which goes on to the wheel side frame are good. I asked him about the two bushings which are connected to the frame on left and right side with a wrap around bracket, and he says that those bushings when worn out only make squeaking sounds and not the clunk. I hate to hear even a little clunk in my car and like to keep them perfect.

I have scheduled another visit for Tuesday next week because he is going to put some sort of microphones near about that area which will aid in amplifying the sound on his headphones so it is going to take whole day.

Does anyone have any idea's, or have gone through the similar sort of thing where just swapping out the end-links didn't fix the clunk completely, and what was needed to get it all sorted out? Just wondering if I am missing something.

I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with 2000 miles on it. Every time i start the car and start driving, there is a single "pop" noise that comes from the front at initial acceleration. I took it back to Ford for service and they told me they all do that. I am not buying that. Anyone else have this issue?

Any particular speed?

It happens at low speed because it occurs right after the the accelerator is pressed, so car in in first gear still. It does it once, then will not do it again until the car is turned off again. It doesn't need to sit either, I can run in the store for 2 minutes and it will do it again as soon as I start and go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forward only?

Back