2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 58 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I would suggest sending a PM to FordService and see if they can help.

Peter
Our steering also went out--on September 22. Our 2014 Explorer has been sitting in the driveway ever since, while the dealer decided what to do. I called a different dealer yesterday, and today was informed that the steering rack needs to be replaced--a $1600 repair-- and the same repair that the earlier year recalls had covered. We only bought this vehicle about 8 months ago and money is tight--this news literally made me cry. I am also terrified, as I have a beginning driver (95lb female 15 year old). Had it happened when she was practicing her driving, there would have been no way for her to steer. I am a pretty strong and able-bodied female, and I couldn't even move it from one side of the driveway to the other. So now we are faced with fixing it or trading it and losing money (either way). If they are not admitting that the 2014 parts are also faulty, Ford is really playing with lives. We replaced a 2002 Ford Explorer by buying this vehicle---transimission on that went out 1500 miles outside of the warranty. This will be our last Ford. Very, very upset right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our steering also went out--on September 22. Our 2014 Explorer has been sitting in the driveway ever since, while the dealer decided what to do. I called a different dealer yesterday, and today was informed that the steering rack needs to be replaced--a $1600 repair-- and the same repair that the earlier year recalls had covered. We only bought this vehicle about 8 months ago and money is tight--this news literally made me cry. I am also terrified, as I have a beginning driver (95lb female 15 year old). Had it happened when she was practicing her driving, there would have been no way for her to steer. I am a pretty strong and able-bodied female, and I couldn't even move it from one side of the driveway to the other. So now we are faced with fixing it or trading it and losing money (either way). If they are not admitting that the 2014 parts are also faulty, Ford is really playing with lives. We replaced a 2002 Ford Explorer by buying this vehicle---transimission on that went out 1500 miles outside of the warranty. This will be our last Ford. Very, very upset right now.

You are already over 36k miles?

When the power steering fails, you do not lose power steering until you shut the vehicle off. You get a yellow warning when it fails and it will continue to work until the engine is shut off so you don't have to worry to the same degree as you are about your 15 yr old having this happen to them. once you restart, the warning is red and there is no power steering. Yes at that point it is very difficult to turn. Highway and back road driving is not as difficult as driveway and parking lot.

File a complaint with the NHTSA and BBB.

You are already over 36k miles?

When the power steering fails, you do not lose power steering until you shut the vehicle off. You get a yellow warning when it fails and it will continue to work until the engine is shut off so you don't have to worry to the same degree as you are about your 15 yr old having this happen to them. once you restart, the warning is red and there is no power steering. Yes at that point it is very difficult to turn. Highway and back road driving is not as difficult as driveway and parking lot.

File a complaint with the NHTSA and BBB.

That's definitely not true. I had the PS failure last year around this time while driving 80 mph on the NJ Turnpike. The warning indicator came up on the dash, but the steering assist failed out soon after that. Restarts initially cleared it, but it returned, sometimes while driving. As you say, it doesn't interfere with the mechanical steering linkage, but for those unfamiliar with the feel of unassisted steering on a vehicle this heavy, it will feel like steering lock up. That's what makes it super dangerous. This kind of failure, to a young, inexperienced driver without the strength to steer unassisted, coupled with conditions like rain, night-time, curvy no-shoulder road, and closely packed traffic = disaster. Since I had my steering rack replaced under warranty it's been fine, but the concern over recurrence always lurks.

There have been many reports that the power steering does go out while driving and that the member had a very difficult time steering the vehicle. One such early report actually resulted in an accident with a pole while it happened on a curve.

Peter

.....(snip).....

I know a used car dealer and saw many reach over 200K on that stock powertrain. He still sells 95-96 V6 and has no problems with them. I own one too and aside from rust it is an extremely reliable car.

.....(snip)..

Exactly. These older ones are still on the road AND no pattern of dangerous failures such as lost of power steering assist. Waiting to see if the 2016 or 2017 units start showing up here with this same unsafe power assist issue before committing to one. So far as I can see the issue is 2011 - 2015 only.

Best thing about forums such as this one is you can bone up on issues BEFORE buying.
You can be an informed consumer if you put the work in.

... (snip)....
You don't lose steering you just lose assist at low speeds, similar failures have happened when a vehicle runs out of fuel.

Read the post here in this tread about the woman's daughter that weighs 90lb. Loss of power assist IS losing steering.

There have been many reports that the power steering does go out while driving and that the member had a very difficult time steering the vehicle. One such early report actually resulted in an accident with a pole while it happened on a curve.

Peter

The software update resolved that issue so it does not fail on the first warning until motor is turned off.

My pics above show exactly that. the failure showed up in yellow, wife drove 3o miles to work. When I got there, started the engine restarted and it was red and I could barely turn the wheel (5 point turn turning 90 degrees).

Replaced the rack. 2nd one failed with yellow warning and my wife made a u turn and drove it back home to swap cars. I got in, started it to drive to dealer and warning was red with zero assist.

If it does not do this, I do not believe the software is up to date.

Aren't you being misleading? You had the software update only because your car received dealer attention for this very issue. Software updates to pre-2016 models don't just happen automatically over the air. If you own one of the hundreds of thousands of cars that haven't had the software update, then the PS failure can occur while driving. The good news is it's a rare problem. The bad news is it can occur while driving. It also appears that Ford resolved the issue after 2015. If anyone buys a used Explorer earlier than 2016, they should see if the car has had this repair and if not, then get it covered by getting an extended warranty, or better yet, negotiate $2500 or so off the price and have it done preventatively.

This was part of a field service action, wasn't it? If so, every customer on record in the country should have gotten a ping to at least get the software update. You're right, they don't just happen OTA but it's not as if every customer had to wait for a failure either.

This was part of a field service action, wasn't it? If so, every customer on record in the country should have gotten a ping to at least get the software update. You're right, they don't just happen OTA but it's not as if every customer had to wait for a failure either.

Exactly!!

Aren't you being misleading? You had the software update only because your car received dealer attention for this very issue. Software updates to pre-2016 models don't just happen automatically over the air. If you own one of the hundreds of thousands of cars that haven't had the software update, then the PS failure can occur while driving. The good news is it's a rare problem. The bad news is it can occur while driving. It also appears that Ford resolved the issue after 2015. If anyone buys a used Explorer earlier than 2016, they should see if the car has had this repair and if not, then get it covered by getting an extended warranty, or better yet, negotiate $2500 or so off the price and have it done preventatively.

Misleading? ummm, no. see 2 posts up.

All vehicles that fell within the date range were notified and Ford started putting the updated software in all vehicles coming out of the factory so no update is required for the newer builds after the software was released.

My 2011 was locking up intermittently upon startup with no messages, then would free up within seconds after the car was put in motion.

I received the recall and had the software update done. A couple months later, it locked up on startup with a yellow failure message. it would not unlock after moving the vehicle. I shut it off and on restart it was freed back up.

I took it back to the dealer, who said they could not replicate it and Ford Corporate would only tell me that if I took it in for $300+ worth of "diagnostics", if they could find a fault, they would replace the rack. If not, then I was out $300 with nothing to show.

I said "no" and ultimately ended up trading it in. I haven't had any issues of the like with my 2016.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer that has undergone numerous recalls. The steering
rack was replaced 16 months ago under what I was told was a warranty/recall
issue. I have learned that the rack was replaced under a CSP 15N01 EPAS for
steering efforts. Now, the dealer is telling me that the rack has failed again
and needs to be replaced at my cost! No way that the steering rack should have
gone out AGAIN within 18 months! Parts are warrantied for 24 months if I buy
and install myself or with a local shop but only 12 months since i took it to
the dealer? That is just not right. I currently own 5 Fords of various models
and have owned 12 fords in the last 25 years. I am a loyal Ford owner! I need a
resolution prior to me filing a BBB complaint and going to local and national
media to resolve. I also have a 2003 F150 with 275K miles, please reward my
loyalty and help me with this issue. I would hope that Ford would stand behind
genuine parts and repairs especially dealer installed. How do I get Ford to respond other than by them saying....sorry it is out of warranty.

call the ford customer service number... posting on here wont get you that far.

Joining this forum because of your issue isn't going to get you a resolution from Ford. There has been Social media reps on here that just pass your info along (no real difference then calling) but they have been MIA recently.

You can file with BBB (probably won't do much) and you can file with NHTSA like many have done.

My opinion is you won't get any further then you already have if Ford already denied it.

Joining this forum because of your issue isn't going to get you a resolution from Ford. There has been Social media reps on here that just pass your info along (no real difference then calling) but they have been MIA recently.

You can file with BBB (probably won't do much) and you can file with NHTSA like many have done.

My opinion is you won't get any further then you already have if Ford already denied it.
The dealer is denying it and the Ford CS line is just quoting their policy. I have personally owned 12 Fords over the past 25 years and I have 5 currently. I can tell you for sure, if they do nothing for me here I am getting rid of all of them and never buying another one. I will also make sure that my sales force of 275 company reps do not have the option to choose a Ford product as their company vehicle. Not that this will matter much to Ford, but it will be my own way of making a small statement.

The dealer is denying it and the Ford CS line is just quoting their policy. I have personally owned 12 Fords over the past 25 years and I have 5 currently. I can tell you for sure, if they do nothing for me here I am getting rid of all of them and never buying another one. I will also make sure that my sales force of 275 company reps do not have the option to choose a Ford product as their company vehicle. Not that this will matter much to Ford, but it will be my own way of making a small statement.

I get it.. when mine was replaced last fall, the new one failed the next day and had to be replaced again. Since then it has been fine but clearly there are still issues out there. This topic has died down quite a bit but my opinion is the extended warranty/recall on the unit should not only cover one replacement.. it should be for the 150k miles they extended the coverage too.

I would like to jump in this thread. I have a 2014 XLT that just had the steering gear go out at 2.5 years with 42K (out of warranty) I purchased a remanufactured steering rack and had it installed at my shop. when they started the vehicle the power steering didn't start up. The vendor told me that I have to flash the computer for the new power steering module, but the shop says they don't think that is right and want to charge me more labor to replace the unit again. Does anyone know if you have to flash the chip after new power steering installation? It seems like you would have to. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to jump in this thread. I have a 2014 XLT that just had the steering gear go out at 2.5 years with 42K (out of warranty) I purchased a remanufactured steering rack and had it installed at my shop. when they started the vehicle the power steering didn't start up. The vendor told me that I have to flash the computer for the new power steering module, but the shop says they don't think that is right and want to charge me more labor to replace the unit again. Does anyone know if you have to flash the chip after new power steering installation? It seems like you would have to. thanks.
Welcome to the Forum Roy.:wave:
I know that initially one of the 'fixes' involved having a 're-flash' done instead of replacing the steering rack but that did not prove to be successful. I don't know if a re-flash was ever done/required after the rack was replaced.

Peter

Back