Where am I losing antifreeze from? Pics! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where am I losing antifreeze from? Pics!

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
A few days ago began smelling something burning/hot from what I thought was coming from the front left of the truck, and thought it was the brakes, so I did a little brake work, and hoped the problem was fixed, but it wasn't. Today when I got home, smelled the same small, and lifted the hood, and saw a wet area around the thermostat housing and part of the upper intake manifold, and a pool of antifreeze on top of the intake manifold, and some smoke coming up. Apparently I'm gushing antifreeze from somewhere. Any suggestions or thoughts? All comments appreciated. Thanks, Ed

ps, can someone please tell me how to upload a photo, am having a brain cramp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 or V8? If you have a V6, the likely culprit is the thermostat housing. Those are notorious for cracking in the 4.0L V6. Happens in the Explorer, Sport Trac, Ranger, & Mustang.

V6. So yes, probably the housing. If I buy the complete housing does it come with a thermostat in it already?

Even with no pic it's either thermostat housing or radiator. I suggest buying any brand BUT a Dorman, they don't last.

V6. So yes, probably the housing. If I buy the complete housing does it come with a thermostat in it already?

No, it doesn't come with a t-stat. But they're cheap enough that it's a good idea to go ahead and replace that too while you already have everything torn apart.

Ok, thanks. Pretty sure it's not the radiator (although it has had a slow leak for about 9 years :)) This gush is on top of the engine. Will give it a shot at the repair tomorrow. Thanks for the help, to be continued. Ed

+3 lower t-stat housing, very high failure part on the 4.0L SOHC. Interesting thing is the Motorcraft replacements seem to be holding up very well for those that have done this repair. Only parts needed are the RH148 housing, lower, and upper seals. New thermostat highly recommended if original. Torque spec is only 7-8 ft/lbs. for lower and upper. Do NOT overtighten.

Replaced the lower thermostat housing today. It went in pretty easy, but I didn't have a torque wrench that read that low, so just hand tightened. I bought the Carquest/Advance Auto housing, because it was in stock and cheap, but it didn't come with the upper housing, but did come with all 3 o-rings...upper, lower, and temp sensor. I reused the upper housing, and installed a new thermostat. The upper housing was a bit messed up, and it's currently not leaking, but I'll probably get a new one anyway. The biggest issue I had was with the sensor. Yes, the old o-ring was completely flattened and HAD to be replaced, but with the new o-ring the old sensor still seemed a bit loose. I also bought a new sensor and tried that but it was TOO tight and I couldn't press it in far enough to get the clip on. So at the moment I'm using the old sensor with a new ring, and although it's a little loose, it doesn't appear to be leaking. Now for the fun part. I looked at the old housing after I was finished, and it had a 3" crack in it where the seam was separating.....yikes....so I definitely replaced the right part. And another note: I was hosing out the pool of anti freeze on the block, and reached my hand in and came out with some kind nest about the size of a softball soaking wet. If I could figure out how to load a pic, I could show you the old part with the huge crack, and the nest.

Back