What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

If the Explorer was redesigned in 2019 for 2020MY, what would you want to see?

• Self driving tech

• Hybrid/ Plug in hybrid

• Fully electric

• Body on frame

• FWD based + AWD + 9 speed transmission

• RWD based + AWD + 10 speed transmission

• Second generation Ecoboost 3.5L

• V8

• Unibody

• Adaptive suspension (Probably magnetic dampening)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This will be a good opportunity to meet more market requests since the Edge/Escape and one rumored smaller CUV can fill the needs for FWD based MPG and packaging needs. The Explorer with the huge police use will be able to get more power and options which in turn flow over to the consumer. Having RWD as the base design would interest me for sure and look forward to the next evolution of Explorer.

It's actually amazing how well the PI Utility has done for North American Law Enforcement sales. Ford has now almost 70% of the Police market and they gain every month now.

GM is almost non-existent, while Dodge has taken over the Police Sedan market as the Charger is a better sedan than the PI Sedan.

Police market really does have an influence on next-gen Explorer.

I'm still surprised we never saw the 3.7L PI V6 offered as an option for the Explorer Limited or XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's actually amazing how well the PI Utility has done for North American Law Enforcement sales. Ford has now almost 70% of the Police market and they gain every month now.

GM is almost non-existent, while Dodge has taken over the Police Sedan market as the Charger is a better sedan than the PI Sedan.

Police market really does have an influence on next-gen Explorer.

I'm still surprised we never saw the 3.7L PI V6 offered as an option for the Explorer Limited or XLT

The crazy thing is that an SUV was able to replace the Crown Victoria and that an SUV could accelerate faster and turn a corner better than the Crown Victoria. I'm glad the Explorer became a police vehicle because now you can find a lot of decent replacement parts.

10 speed auto, 2nd generation 2.3L, 3.3L Naturally Aspirated, and 3.5L TTs, Sony Clear Phase across the line. Better seating in the Limited. Removal of every incandescent bulb in the vehicle.

RWD/FWD bias, don't really care.

10 speed auto, 2nd generation 2.3L, 3.3L Naturally Aspirated, and 3.5L TTs, Sony Clear Phase across the line. Better seating in the Limited. Removal of every incandescent bulb in the vehicle.

RWD/FWD bias, don't really care.

I highly agree with you on the removal of incandescent bulbs! I cannot bear them in the cabin. The only thing I would add on is the ability to either shine 5000K or 3000K LEDs because sometimes, you want that warm color for pictures and 5000K for visibility when you have to find things in the cabin.

I'd like to see the ability to turn off the interior lights when desired. Put ON/OFF switches back in them.

Peter

My #1 pick is going to have to be less rattles and better QC.

If Toyota can do it for the same money, Ford can.
Haven't had any of these issues with my last 3 Ford products and believe me I'll do almost anything to track down a rattle. They were on par with the 3 Highlanders I had except one of the Highlanders had a glove box rattle I fixed.

Peter

Haven't had any of these issues with my last 3 Ford products and believe me I'll do almost anything to track down a rattle. They were on par with the 3 Highlanders I had except one of the Highlanders had a glove box rattle I fixed.

Peter
Good to hear, I need to check my build date it might have been a Monday :)

Edit: it was built on a Friday, they must have been ready to go home

I'd love to see them come out with a 2-door Sport trim level, and/or reduce the size of the Explorer to something closer to what it originally was, especially if they decide to make the Bronco a F-series sized SUV - then might as well put the Explorer on a diet.

My point of view on buying new cars is to UPGRADE from what you have, and I'm pretty partial to that 90's Compact truck/SUV segment. If they paired that with hybrid or electric power, I'm sure it'd go over well. A small, rugged, 2-door sport like the old ones but modernized would be awesome.

I'd love to see them come out with a 2-door Sport trim level, and/or reduce the size of the Explorer to something closer to what it originally was, especially if they decide to make the Bronco a F-series sized SUV - then might as well put the Explorer on a diet.

My point of view on buying new cars is to UPGRADE from what you have, and I'm pretty partial to that 90's Compact truck/SUV segment. If they paired that with hybrid or electric power, I'm sure it'd go over well. A small, rugged, 2-door sport like the old ones but modernized would be awesome.

Sorry not going to happen with Explorer, marketing research shows take rate on a 2dr wouldn't justify the engineering or tooling. Maybe Bronco, not Explorer.

The Bronco is not being sized after the F-Series.

The Bronco is not being sized after the F-Series.

That's right. The Bronco is going to be on the Ranger platform. Which is odd because the older Explorers were on the Ranger platform and the Broncos were on the F-150 platforms of their times.

My #1 pick is going to have to be less rattles and better QC.

Are rattles really that common anymore? I know my 2016 Chevy Silverado and a ton quieter that the 2006 Sliverado it replaced. I really have no experience with modern day Fords however. Last Fords we owned were a 1970 Torino GT, a 1970 Pinto station wagon, and a 1971 Mercury Cougar.

That's right. The Bronco is going to be on the Ranger platform. Which is odd because the older Explorers were on the Ranger platform and the Broncos were on the F-150 platforms of their times.

Yup, it is being modeled/designed after the 1973 Bronco.

I don't have rattle issues and I have the stupid pano roof so I expect more in the future.

Are rattles really that common anymore? I know my 2016 Chevy Silverado and a ton quieter that the 2006 Sliverado it replaced. I really have no experience with modern day Fords however. Last Fords we owned were a 1970 Torino GT, a 1970 Pinto station wagon, and a 1971 Mercury Cougar.
My last 3 Ford products had absolutely no rattles.

I have the overhead console rattle around the glasses holder, kind of annoying trying to track it down but other than that all quiet.

We have nothing to complain about considering the nightmare GM has right now with the GM Truck SUV engine mount rattle. The entire line up of 2014 and newer models have an issue with the engine mounts not being torqued correctly and when the vehicle is in different situations the driver feels a vibration throughout the vehicle. I rented a 2017 Tahoe LT in LA last week when you put it in DRIVE the entire vehicle shook, dealer says its a 2-day fix retorqing the mounts because they have to connect the vehicle and monitor it as they torque.

No two vehicles have the exact same issue so each vehicle has to be kept for two days. What a nightmare for the dealers and the customers. Lots of Lemon Law cases I'm guessing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

om my goodness... we're on page 2 and no one has said....

"an engine with an external water pump" LOL

Back