Aftermarket wheels | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 XLT and was looking to do the velgen 20x10.5 but I have the 18 inch wheels on it. My question is will I be able to run the same set up as a few other members have? Not sure what the difference is between the XLT and the sports are since seems like everyone has the sport here lol also ordered the h&r sport lowering springs those should fit mine as well correct? Probably should of did a little research before doing the impulse buy lol

I have a 2017 XLT and was looking to do the velgen 20x10.5 but I have the 18 inch wheels on it. My question is will I be able to run the same set up as a few other members have? Not sure what the difference is between the XLT and the sports are since seems like everyone has the sport here lol also ordered the h&r sport lowering springs those should fit mine as well correct? Probably should of did a little research before doing the impulse buy lol
Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
What size tires are you looking at putting on those wheels? The maximum diameter variance should not exceed 3% from OEM.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
What size tires are you looking at putting on those wheels? The maximum diameter variance should not exceed 3% from OEM.

Peter

Thank you Peter! I was looking to put on 275/45/20

That shouldn't be to terrible. I can live with it reading a little slower
I believe from reading another post by Jason, jmr061, that there are certain pre-programmed tire sizes in the vehicle. Your dealer may be able to access that info and select the proper size if yours is listed. That will update the modules like the ABS to adjust to the new size.

Peter

I believe from reading another post by Jason, jmr061, that there are certain pre-programmed tire sizes in the vehicle. Your dealer may be able to access that info and select the proper size if yours is listed. That will update the modules like the ABS to adjust to the new size.

Peter

Thanks for all the help I'll have to give my dealer a call and look into it.

That shouldn't be to terrible. I can live with it reading a little slower

I have an XLT with stock 20s and it runs 255/50/R20 tires. Can't remember if they're 8" or 8.5" inches wide, though. (Not sure if this helps or not, just trying to give you something to compare to.)

When I bought my 2013 XLT it came with Ultra Motorsport Spline rims which were IMHO just OK but I thought looked a little too busy being two-tone and I really didn't like the fake nuts at the ends near the outer rim. The guy I helped get into the department now handles vehicles and offered me some PIU rims brand new but my wife did not want the steelies on the vehicle so I compromised by having the Ultras stripped, painted, and baked at a local body and paint shop. I like them better but the steelies still appeal to me more. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

Before&After.jpg

I have an XLT with stock 20s and it runs 255/50/R20 tires. Can't remember if they're 8" or 8.5" inches wide, though. (Not sure if this helps or not, just trying to give you something to compare to.)
I'm guessing they are 8.5". Fordparts shows the 20" wheels as 20X8.5 with a couple 20X9.

Peter

which rims do you prefer, 1st set of wheels or 2nd? Comments welcome...required :D . Or if you do not prefer any

20170329_182451.jpg

2%201.jpg

20161008_145434.jpg

which rims do you prefer, 1st set of wheels or 2nd? Comments welcome...required :D . Or if you do not prefer any

20170329_182451.jpg

2%201.jpg

20161008_145434.jpg
To be honest I like both sets. Each one has a quality I like. I think if you left the five spoke on some caliper painting/powder coating is in order because they would really pop with that wheel. Having said all of that if you were holding a gun to my head and making me choose I'd probably go with the top wheel.....

....but you should still paint/powder coat the calipers. :) :p

20170329_182451.jpg

2%201.jpg

20161008_145434.jpg

I really like the second set. It makes the Ex look really clean. I agree with supr squirrel about painting the calipers too for this type of wheel. The first set looks alright but kind of busy imo.

I like five spoke wheels, so easy to clean ( even the backside), but don't like those, reminds me of Mustang wheels.

The mesh wheels look much more current.

While I'm not a fan of all black wheels, I really did not like the original look. Having them painted greatly improved their appeal. I had to look twice, thought they were different hoops. :chug:

When I bought my 2013 XLT it came with Ultra Motorsport Spline rims which were IMHO just OK but I thought looked a little too busy being two-tone and I really didn't like the fake nuts at the ends near the outer rim. The guy I helped get into the department now handles vehicles and offered me some PIU rims brand new but my wife did not want the steelies on the vehicle so I compromised by having the Ultras stripped, painted, and baked at a local body and paint shop. I like them better but the steelies still appeal to me more. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

View attachment 96206

Same ideas I was going back and forth with, the 5 spokes have a classic simple design and very easy to clean but I'm putting on new rotors with ceramic pads(less to no dust) , they are 20x8.5" with about a +20 offset and a 255/50/20" tire.

The mesh set have a deep concave look which is a little more fresh but does look a little busy especially with that step before the lip . They are 20X10 with a +40 offset with a 295/40/20" tire (1/2" clearance from struts on front is the closest object to rub, which is still pretty far) , the truck is lowered, if you tried either set of rims on a stock height (non Sport model)vehicle they would poke out almost an inch, a little less on a Sport.

I have another set of calipers I was putting on, I was deciding if I should paint or powder coat silver, black or red. Black is too plain and I thought red would draw too much attention, so I ended up painting them silver for now, I think I will keep an eye out for caliper covers in red and put up new pics lol :D.

I also had a set of deep dish mesh rims and a set of chrome rims but I didn't like the look, if your curiosity wants to see those pictures I can find them.
I know right:rolleyes::hammer:

20170330_191820.jpg

^^^that style of wheel looks amazing on Explorers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys.

Been searching for a while but couldnt find any. My tires are due so im thinking of upgrading the rims also. Im looking at 20's either 20x9 or 20x10.

Hopefully someone can share there booty pix of there EX with the same specs.

Thanks a lot and more power to the group!

Back