Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Mine have been rotated twice in 10,200 miles, which means the original front tires are on the front again and they are the most worn out. I checked the wear today and the fronts are below 4/32, the rears just below 6/32. Pretty fast wear for a vehicle that is driven sanely.

After reading this thread about all the trouble trying to get Ford or Hankook to honor any warranty and the poor reviews on TireRack I decided to just bite the bullet and replace them. Costco has a deal on Michelin Defender LTX 255/50R20 109H XL BSW AS tires right now and they will be installed tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the new hoops. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Costco has a deal on Michelin Defender LTX 255/50R20 109H XL BSW AS tires right now and they will be installed tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the new hoops. :)

The Defender's I ordered from TireRack are in the car waiting to be installed today, as well.

My 2016 Sport came with the Noble's and are shot at 36,500 miles...

Peter

i'm not having a lot of luck with my OEM Hankooks on my 2016 Sport. Pick my Sport up in Sept 2015
put winters on mid Nov 2015 so about 8KM on them.
Put the Summers back on April 2016 took them off in Nov 2016 about 25KM. Total 33KM they are worn down
more than half way, I have not measured them but I figure now more than 10KM before they would need replacing.
I have not pursued this problem as I have traded the Sport in for a 2017 Sport.
So that would be just over 40KM on a set of premium priced tires.
Around 25000.00 miles NOT GOOD.

Brian
Thanks for the info Brian. I'll be putting the OEM tire on at the end of the month. Haven't driven on them yet since I had them put the old Winters on when I picked it up on Halloween. I don't drive nearly as much as you so I should be okay in that regard. Only drive about 4k a year split between the OEM Hankooks and Bridgestone DM-V1 tires. If this current 48 month lease goes anything like my previous 2, I can probably expect a call from the dealer after 36 months.:D

Peter

Those changing, please report back in the feel/drive with the new treads.

Those changing, please report back in the feel/drive with the new treads.
I've only had the new tires for about 25 miles but the ride home from Costco was nice. It was a smooth, controlled & quiet ride which made the ExPlat feel more like a luxury vehicle than it had with the Hankook's. There was a tiny bit of tread squirm but the tires are not broken in yet. The light truck load index (109H) on the Michelin's vs the lower Hankook load index (105H) seems to help the handling too. When I'm at the Dealers next time I'll have the alignment checked again.
So far I like them a lot, glad I did it.
you%20are%20good.gif

..........The light truck load index (109H) on the Michelin's vs the lower Hankook load index (105H) seems to help the handling too.......So far I like them a lot, glad I did it.
you%20are%20good.gif
That could be because now you have tires designed for light truck and SUV use instead of the Hankook passenger car tires.:)

Peter

That could be because now you have tires designed for light truck and SUV use instead of the Hankook passenger car tires.:) Peter
Yes, and now that I have a couple hundred miles on the Michelin Defenders I am VERY glad I purchased them.
I bought this car last September and it has always been difficult to drive in a smooth manner, it felt, for lack of a better word, 'twitchy'. The wife has been commenting that this car is sort of shaking her back and forth, she thought it was more of a truck ride, I did raise & lower the tire pressure hoping to find a less jarring ride. Well, we had a 2015 Ford Expedition EL for a loaner car last week (with 40 psi tires) and put about 350 miles on it, it was real easy to drive smoothly and the overall ride quality was better than this ExPlat., my wife commented on that when we turned it in.
Fast forward to buying these new Michelin tires, no more 'twitch', it goes where you point it and stays there, the potholes/tar strips and other road annoyances are muted, it is quieter in the cabin, much smoother & controlled. The wife has noticed how much better the ExPlat rides now, which is a good omen... ;)

The Hankooks might be okay tires but I think these Michelin's are a vast improvement.

Edit: The Michelin's are listed as Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires, possibly helping the mileage.

Had mine rotated on Saturday - 7/32 and 6/32 at 20,100 miles for FWD 3.5 NA and I am not a gentle driver.

I'm having the same problem with these tires! And my Ford dealer said wear is not covered!!!
19,500 miles

New vehicles generally need alignment, right off the delivery truck.

I always take new vehicles in for a 4 wheel alignment ($ out of my pocket) at a competent, dedicated tire/suspension shop immediately after delivery. Hint, your Ford dealer isn't a competent, dedicated tire/suspension shop. Also asking the dealer to align a new vehicle generally will get ignored, or a "we'll check it" response.

The last 3 vehicles I've purchased new have needed it. (Explorer, Touareg, S5)

New vehicles generally need alignment, right off the delivery truck.

I always take new vehicles in for a 4 wheel alignment ($ out of my pocket) at a competent, dedicated tire/suspension shop immediately after delivery. Hint, your Ford dealer isn't a competent, dedicated tire/suspension shop. Also asking the dealer to align a new vehicle generally will get ignored, or a "we'll check it" response.

The last 3 vehicles I've purchased new have needed it. (Explorer, Touareg, S5)

The tires are wearing evenly. But they look like they have 50,000 miles. I've had several people comment on the tires agreeing that the wear is abnormal. All the tires look the same.

I got the tire and rim warranty for my 16xp. $650 (got the dealer down from 1k) for 5 years. I knew that the tires will not last for more then 5 years. Will the front one's go 1st or the back ones?

Does the warranty cover the wear on the tires? I bought the warranty too!

Does the warranty cover the wear on the tires? I bought the warranty too!
I'm not familiar with that warranty but a warranty document usually says what it will and will not cover. Do you not have a copy of it? If I had to guess I'd say treadwear is not covered since it depends so much on how one drives and how much.

Peter

I'm not familiar with that warranty but a warranty document usually says what it will and will not cover. Do you not have a copy of it? If I had to guess I'd say treadwear is not covered since it depends so much on how one drives and how much.

Peter
I have it Peter. I'll look at it tonight. Still tires wearing down after only 20,000 miles is a joke!

This is what the Warranty Guide brochure says about tires.

"For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service
and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro
rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based
Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%
The tire manufacturer also provides you with a separate tire warranty that
may extend beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage. You will
find the manufacturer’s tire warranty with the owner literature supplied
with your vehicle."

Note: The Tire Warranty Guide shows an additional 36,001-50,000 15% as part of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It goes on to say;

"Free replacement If Hankook Radial Passenger & Light Truck Tires fail as a result of defect in material and/or workmanship within the First 25% of treadwear, the tire will be replaced with a new, comparable Hankook tire at no charge including mounting and balancing charges."
Beyond that it will be prorated.

Peter
Peter my dealer said wear and tear is not covered! My friend checked the tread depth and it's around 4/32 at 19,500 miles all four tires!

Peter my dealer said wear and tear is not covered! My friend checked the tread depth and it's around 4/32 at 19,500 miles all four tires!
As suspected, treadwear doesn't seem to fall under "Defective Tires" label. This is understandable in a way since everyone has different driving styles that affect wear.

Peter

I own a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited with all bells and whistles from the Platinum (kinda custom added by order).

I have 26000+ miles on my Explorer. Last week I noticed the tread peeling all over the tire like flakes. This was happening on ALL four tires. Also the tire has worn out like to 4/32" already!!

I contacted the dealer who contacted Hankook. They are offering 4% discount on new Hankook tires because they are worn out!! Both of them are refusing to agree that this is a tire defect thats causing the wear. So the causality is being blamed

The Service Manager agreed that the tires are evenly worn and its not aggressive driving.

Thanks to this thread, I highlighted to him that
a. This is beyond normal wear of this tire as the mileage warranty is 50000 miles
b. This is covered under Ford Warranty at atleast 30%.

Will update once I hear from them.

I completely understand your frustration, but looking at it from the other side, they have no way of knowing how the vehicle was driven except through what you told them.
From the start I was curious to know if they would accept "premature tire wear" as a defect. Now we know that it isn't.
Which model tire did you get? Were they the same ones that came with the vehicle initially? I'll be taking the Winters off at the end of the month and having the OEM ones put on. Haven't had a chance to drive with them yet.
Good luck with the new set.

Peter
Even if the vehcile was driven hard, the tires should still not be that worn at 12K miles. They ended up replacing them with the same tires. Hopefully I will get at least 25K out of them like most have.

I had to have 3 of my Hankooks replaced at 6500 miles due to out of round and they were only worn about 1 1/2nds to maybe 2/32nds. The heat and weather takes a toll on
tires here in Southwest Florida and I never get the mileage associated with the warranty. I was a little surprised how much that they hadn't worn but, personally I will sacrifice mileage
for a better gripping tire. Time will tell, but I haven't had a set of tires other than some Michelin LTX on a 4unner ( they would spin out in dog pee) lasting more than 40-45k miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought a new 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum with OEM Hankook Tires.
Tires are now on the wear bars and need to be replaced at only 20,500 miles My wife noticed they have also become very noisy.
Tread wear rating on the tire sidewall is 500
My Option of these tires is they are JUNK.
Buyer beware.

Back